Startup Disk - menu pic and background music

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
javen8712
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Startup Disk - menu pic and background music

Post by javen8712 »

I was given a Dream SNES startup disk with two other disks for the games, and the startup disk is what I'm wondering about. The menu picture is nothing I've ever seen on websites that talk about DreamSNES; neither is the music. I want to know if I can find this picture and the music on any website, because when I put the disk in my computer it makes it extremely slow and I get errors. Here is the description for the music and picture:

The background picture is of clouds, and the picture I want comes into view from the left after a few seconds. It is of a red haired girl holding a wicker-looking staff, and she's sitting down and looking up, at the sky. She's on the left hand side of the screen, facing the middle of the tv. There are also dark pumpkins with faces floating down the screen.

The music is named "BUBGHOST.MP3," and it's of Neo from the Matrix talking to Mr. Smith on the phone, telling him about "a world without borders or boundaries." His voice is slowed, and there is some interesting new agish music playing while he's saying this.

I've been trying to go to different websites that talk about the DreamSNES, and a lot of them don't work anymore. Any that do don't show me the picture or the music, making me wonder if this CD isn't customized in some way. When I stick the CD in my PC I find that I have no idea what the file types are. My computer doesn't know either.

If anyone can give me any answers or help I would be grateful. If you need more information, I can give that too. Thank you all for your time.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

You're describing the default theme to the latest version of DreamSNES.

http://mc.pp.se/dc/dreamsnes/
javen8712
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by javen8712 »

I have been to this site, and the Halloween thing seems to fit, but it doesn't tell me what the anime girl picture is of, or where I can download the music, and the screenshots on the site don't match the one I have at all. I've put the CD in the computer and tried to copy "BUBGHOST" to my computer, but it gives me an error. Really all I want to do is find out what the anime picture is of, where I can find it online, get the picture on my computer, and get the BUBGHOST song on my computer.

On a side note, I'm guessing that BUBGHOST stands for the old game "Bubble Ghost," though I've never played it.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Read the features list - it has links to the websites of the people who did their music and their graphics. The link to Jan's website (music) is down, but I would think you can find their music by searching their name with Google.
javen8712
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by javen8712 »

This appears to be another website of Jan's: http://home.swipnet.se/~w-19502/
but it doesn't have the music. Kathy's Elfwood page has a lot of sci-fi/fantasy pictures, but a lot of them are by other people. There are over eight hundred hundred galleries of pictures, so if the one I want is in there I'm going to have a lot of searching to do.

The guy who gave my friend the disk got it from a website I am informed was called dreamdisks.com, though I don't think that website exists anymore.

Most of those links on the page you gave me don't work, so I think that's the main problem. I took a picture of my tv screen with the menu, so if you'd like I can send it to you. I'll also put it into the avatar.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

There's a tutorial I wrote (under LyingWake) that has a download link to the plain files of DreamSNES 0.9.8, which you can grab the song from. The pictures I'm not really sure, I think they're PVR images but could be wrong (it's been awhile since I've looked at the files). If they are PVR, there are a few free tools out there that will convert them to (I think) BMP and PNG. There's definately a add-on to I believe GIMP (could be photoshop) that opens PVR images. Again, that's only if the theme is in the PVR format.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I checked out the extension of DreamSNES's theme, and they seem to be a different image format (ZVR) - I tried renaming it then opening it with a PVR viewer and the viewer said it wasn't a PVR texture, so I don't know what will open it.
javen8712
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by javen8712 »

The images are .ZVR. Where would this tutorial be? It's not on that site is it? Yeah, I really don't know what to do with a .zvr either.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

The tutorial is a sticky in this forum.
javen8712
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by javen8712 »

Hey thanks! I got the music, and I found the website that has the discography. I made a guess at the .zvr files (one was named "Valissa"), I typed that in Google images and got one other picture that looks similar to the one I've got, meaning it's her but she's in a different pose and a different art style. That appeases me a little. At least now I know her name, but I don't know what anime if any she comes from, if Kathy Choi created her or not, and if there is a better quality image of her on the internet (or if I can somehow transfer the image onto my computer). I don't suppose I could find any more information on that here, but thank you so much for helping me out with everything else.
javen8712
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by javen8712 »

I just made a discovery: the link for Kathy Choi's Elfwood page is certainly not that. The link works perfectly, but the site is someone ele's. Unless she is a member at that site and has since taken down her work, in which case the link should be taken down. Does Kathy use any other name that might be on the Elfwood page?

Here is the link to what's on my avatar: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/javen8712 ... ir=e4a6re2
(Click on the picture to enlarge)

I give that out because the other picture I've come across is very similar: http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/personal_ ... r012c.html
The artist of the one above declines having done the art for the girl on the screen, though he suggested another artist who I have emailed and am waiting to hear from.
Shepard
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: Startup Disk - menu pic and background music

Post by Shepard »

I realise the last time this topic was posted in was over a year and a half ago, but the search for this image has been driving me nuts.

That's the only image I could find of the image that the original poster described. I would LOVE to get my hands on it.

EDIT: Found a bigger one.

http://dcemulation.org/images/DSNES/pics/2.jpg

Anyone have any leads?
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

http://www.elfwood.com/art/f/a/favio/led4kat.jpg.html - only thing I've found. Maybe try to ask around at the elfwood community...
Insane homebrew collector.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re:

Post by |darc| »

javen8712 wrote:The images are .ZVR. Where would this tutorial be? It's not on that site is it? Yeah, I really don't know what to do with a .zvr either.
The ZVR is some sort of encrypted PVR file, probably so people cannot replace the images on the disc.

Although ZVR might just mean zipped PVR and could be just compressed with gzip, bzip, or something else.
It's thinking...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I would really love to play around with the menu graphics. Anyone had success with that ?
Insane homebrew collector.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I've never seen anyone successfully modify the graphics in DreamSNES.

My suspicion is it's that way because they don't want anyone to remove the "if you bought this, you're stupid" (or whatever, it's been years since I've used DreamSNES) notice.
It's thinking...