Why can't we just do "apt-get install kos"?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Dev
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dev »

On GNU/Linux we always use apt-get to install stuff. For example:

Code: Select all

apt-get install firefox
will download firefox browser for you and install it.

It would downgrade a couple of programs but if you want to develop for a dreamcast you probably don't care.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Why can't we just do "apt-get install kos"?

Post by BlueCrab »

You can't do that primarily because nobody would be able to maintain packages for every Linux distribution and every version thereof, due to the enormous amount of work that would entail. :?

You might be using Ubuntu (or Debian, or some other Debian-based distribution of Linux -- since you're using apt-get as your example, that's obviously Debian-based), but not everyone uses that particular distribution or the same version of that distribution that you do. If someone were to make packages (and it would have to be more than one), they'd realistically need to support at least a few major distros to make it worthwhile (Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat/CentOS, Fedora, and Arch would probably cover most Linux users these days, I think). Plus multiple different versions/package combinations for each of those. Add to that the time required in testing packages when changes are made. Simply put, it's probably more work than anyone still doing Dreamcast stuff would want to put forth the effort to do. :?
maslevin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Why can't we just do "apt-get install kos"?

Post by maslevin »

If you want something a little more automated, I (kinda) maintain a script which will download and build the SH-4 and ARM toolchains and KOS in an ubuntu installation. I branched this from TimSimpson's version which is more focused on Vagrant compatibility.

https://github.com/maslevin/KosVM

Just clone the directory and run install_kos.sh and it does all the downloading and patching of things. The last time I tried it it failed building the platform tools but you can patch those files and rebuild the KOS tree afterwards.

This is what I use for my development. I run an ubuntu VM inside of VMWare on my mac, so that I can isolate my DC environment from everything else.