help with environ.sh and cygwin

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
chode
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

help with environ.sh and cygwin

Post by chode »

No matter what i try i keep getting the same two errors when i try to run the environ.sh script. I'll type in chmod u+x environ.sh,then i type in source environ.sh and once i do that it gives me these same two errors which are -bash: environ.sh: line 76: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
and -bash: environ.sh: line 81: syntax error: unexpected end of file. Line 76 in question is # export KOS_CFLAGS="-O2 -DFRAME_POINTERS -fno-omit-frame-pointer". Im at a complete loss and google hasent been one bit of help. I would be very thankful for any advice on how to finally get this going.
radgegames
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Re: help with environ.sh and cygwin

Post by radgegames »

I was having this problem in the beginning and I solved it by changing "\" slashes to "/" slashes when I declare the value of the KOS_BASE variable in the shell script.
Also it's worth noting that the kos folder is relative to the directory cygwin is located. my cygwin is installed in C:\cygwin86. When you change KOS_BASE during setup it should just be the path continuing from where you have yours installed. for example it should look something like
export KOS_BASE="/home/dreamcast/kos"
and not
export KOS_BASE="cygdrive/c/cygwin86/home/dreamcast/kos"
and definitely not
export KOS_BASE="C:\program files\...\..."
Make sure you don't add an extra "/" at the end. I'm not sure but I think it would probably conflict with line 80 which is
. ${KOS_BASE}/environ_base.sh

I'm actually having an issue with source environ.sh. when i use the command in cygwin I get a bunch of r$ command not founds and then finally a no such file or directory exists. I tried
dos2unix environ.sh
and got somewhere but I think then Id have to convert everything the script depends on to unix as well.

So would it just be easier to do this in linux is really my question? I'm starting to believe it would
mrneo240
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mrneo240 »

Look at this

https://assemblergames.com/threads/drea ... sed.70159/

Also yes, in Linux is much simpler
radgegames
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by radgegames »

mrneo240 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:34 am Look at this

https://assemblergames.com/threads/drea ... sed.70159/

Also yes, in Linux is much simpler
Thank you. I have been having more luck with linux and will probably continue there and i'd also like to build my environment from scratch to learn, but that SDK does looks intriguing and I appreciate the value in your answer.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

It's also linked to literally three posts below this one (right now): viewtopic.php?f=29&t=104813 ...
radgegames
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by radgegames »

BlueCrab wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:03 am It's also linked to literally three posts below this one (right now): viewtopic.php?f=29&t=104813 ...
I do appreciate that but as I said I'm not exactly look for a SDK I wanted to build this from ground zero so I can slightly understand what's going on which is what I'm trying to do by following other links and threads here and I thought I'd maybe offer some information that helped me and just simply asked if building the environment would be easier on linux that SDK is bad @$$ don't get me wrong but if I used it I wouldn't be learning, which is what I'm here to do
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

radgegames wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:16 pm
BlueCrab wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:03 am It's also linked to literally three posts below this one (right now): viewtopic.php?f=29&t=104813 ...
I do appreciate that but as I said I'm not exactly look for a SDK I wanted to build this from ground zero so I can slightly understand what's going on which is what I'm trying to do by following other links and threads here and I thought I'd maybe offer some information that helped me and just simply asked if building the environment would be easier on linux that SDK is bad @$$ don't get me wrong but if I used it I wouldn't be learning, which is what I'm here to do
That wasn't directed at you, but rather to the person above who linked to it on a different forum. My apologies if that was confusing.

If you're used to using Windows, you might find SiZiOUS' DreamSDK easier to work with than if you're used to using a more UNIX environment. I don't actually know, as I don't do Dreamcast development work on Windows myself (if I am doing any Dreamcast dev work on a Windows box, I'd personally use the Windows Subsystem For Linux in Windows 10, over using MSYS as SiZiOUS' stuff does -- but that's just personal preference). If you've used Linux before and you are comfortable with it (and have a machine set up with Linux already), then there's probably no reason to prefer DreamSDK over building the tools on Linux and using them.

In the end, it's all a matter of personal preference. No offense meant to SiZiOUS (because what he's put together is definitely quite cool for Windows users), but as I said, I'd much rather use a real UNIX-like environment for my work rather than using something based on MSYS, unless I didn't have access to a Linux machine or one running Windows 10 to take advantage of WSL.
radgegames
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by radgegames »

Lol cool glad you cleared that up I was kinda like what the heck did I do wrong but I totally understand. I have multiple computers and flew through this on my linux build thanks for the feedback and help