Testing via SD card with Dreamshell

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
lerabot
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Testing via SD card with Dreamshell

Post by lerabot »

I've been debugging my game with a bunch of tool and I've had problem with Dreamshell. I want to make it as compatible with everything as I can (real CD, SD card, emulators, etc). The engine load fine, but I can't get any paths to works. Everything that inside the first romdisk is fine, bet everything else is broken.

I know Dreamshell is built on KOS, so I assume that the main path is /sd, but if I load a .cdi, does the full path become /sd/cd/path/to/file.png?

I've tried /sd and /cd, but nothing seems to work.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Testing via SD card with Dreamshell

Post by BlueCrab »

KOS can't (by default) read anything on an SD card that is formatted to work with DreamShell directly. DreamShell requires your SD card be formatted as FAT16 or FAT32, whereas KOS doesn't have a driver for either of those filesystems (for various reasons that I won't go into here for now). KOS only has support for using ext2 filesystems on SD cards, and only if you link in -lkosext2fs.

As for why using a CDI wouldn't work, that I don't know. As far as I know, that should be accessible just by using plain /cd paths, just as if it were on a disc (it certainly wouldn't be /sd/cd).
lerabot
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lerabot »

I'll try to look more into that. I remember testing stuff via SD card a year ago, but I can't remember what could I changed in the meantime.
lerabot
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lerabot »

Bumping this up. I've been trying to use mksdiso without sucess.

Did anyone ever got thier homebrew to run with Dreamshell? Care to explain the process?
tonma
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Has thanked: 0

Post by tonma »

For testing homebrew with SDCard, I use isomake (2.4) from dreamshell directly. You can make iso from scramble/unscramble bin with Create_homebrew_ISO.bat / Create_katana_ISO.bat Can't try it now because don"t have SD here but it's working.
http://www.dc-swat.ru/page/dreamshell/

You have the code source of dreamshell, maybe some infos on writing file on SD.
I found this github, with a lib, never tried : https://github.com/andressbarajas/libfatfs