Help uploading a .VMS minigame to a VMU

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
frozenbinarystudio
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help uploading a .VMS minigame to a VMU

Post by frozenbinarystudio »

Hey all,

I been busy working on a minigame for the VMU. Long story short, I have a demo I would like to upload to an actual VMU for various reasons, compiled using Marcus Comstedts VMU Assembly program.

The issue I am having is I do not have an accompanying .VMI file for the minigame, so the VMU Explorer and VMU Tools utility ignore it. The VMS to DCI converter programs I found are incompatible with modern versions of Windows for various reasons, and I do not have legal access to a copy prior to Windows 7. I have read Dreamshell might be able to help me with this, but I have no idea how to go about that. Could KOS compile a VMU minigame and save it to a VMU? If so that would be pretty awesome, as I would want to do that anyway for my project.

Any suggestions on how to go about this would be most appreciated. I am very open to any suggestion to achieve this goal that I could possibly execute given the hardware/software I have available.

Thanks for your time. It is appreciated.
frozenbinarystudio
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Re: Help uploading a .VMS minigame to a VMU

It dawned on me I should probably list some of the things I have available if it would help.

I have Windows 7 Pro version, which does include the ability to boot into XP mode. If this will run the converter tools that would be awesome, but I would hate to dual boot a machine just for that unless it needs to be done.

I have a Nexus Memory card with a parallel to USB converter, but it seems to really hate not going through an actual parallel port for some reason. In addition the programs for it are out of date, which seems to be part of the problem.

I do have a couple of BBA's for the DC laying around. They do come in handy for everything else.

I could get my grubby hands on an SD card dongle for DC if I REALLY needed to. The only reason I haven't is due to their apparent very slow speed of transfer, but if its an option I won't complain.

I have a VM of Ubuntu 16.04 with KOS (thanks to you guys!), the VMS Assembler (and disassembler) as well as a modified version of SoftVMS I use for development to enable saving back to .VMS files.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Have you tried the VMI Editor from here:

http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmieditor/?lg=en&menu=on

You can edit or create a VMI file online by filling in the data fields then use 'Save VMI' to download your VMI.

Hope that helps.
Across the Universe
frozenbinarystudio
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

That actually worked swimmingly, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.