[Dreamcast]Looking for Developers for an OnRails Shooter Pro

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Fire-WSP
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

[Dreamcast]Looking for Developers for an OnRails Shooter Pro

Post by Fire-WSP »

Hi Guys,
i try to assemble a team to develop an OnRails Shooter similar to the N64 Game Sin and Punishment for the Dreamcast.
The Game is based upon the Anime Series Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs.
Please find all the details about the project in this PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31envv99s9zp6 ... ect_DC.pdf

Here is a rough render Video how it should work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsNjWTqaGO0

There are any Coders here who are interested to participate?

Please contact me here via PM or via Skype (fire-wsp).

Thanks
TheRedFox
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: [Dreamcast]Looking for Developers for an OnRails Shooter

Post by TheRedFox »

whoa, Chris Huelsbeck is a big name...
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd
b0b
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by b0b »

it's an interesting project. i couldn't care less for "Saber Rider" (never really watched it, but find the intro very catchy). i mean i've seen some episodes as a child, but never got into it.

that said, i'm a big fan of on rail action games like starfox and sin & punishment series. I'm programming myself when i have some time and often thought about programming this kind of game.

i didn't know much about this saber rider game project. i found the concept interesting enough and googled around the web. jee, this looks like a major clusterfuck… since when is the game in development? how big is your team? how much is done? is there any actual gameplay already implemented? it had an successful crowd-funding campaign years ago. the asked min. funding was way too low, but what's with the backers? chris huelsbeck is a big name - yes - but according to some sources in the www he never actually worked on this. the number of target platforms is way too high. psn, xbox live, pc, 3ds, eshop (?) and now dreamcast?

you should really limit your expectations. concentrate on one platform. let's say - pc version first. and btw the reason i never really started on a rail shooter like sin&punishment myself is that that kind of game is really difficult to get right. i simply couldn't figure out how to design something like this right - camera movement, enemy patterns, shooting mechanics, score mechanics.
it's (relatively) easy to program a shoot'm'up game from the technical perspective but it's really hard to design a good one.
Fire-WSP
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Fire-WSP »

When the Project was introduced 3 years ago the plan was quite different.
Back then projects where mostly financial backed by Publishers.
We almost had one but short before signing a contract the publisher stopped everything and a few month later they went bancrupt.
2011-12 was not a good year for developers who counted on Publishers.
Now we have an increasing number of Indie Developers who collect money on Kickstarter.
Why do you think is this so?

"major clusterfuck…" no just development limbo like in the movie Business...
we also have to deal with licence holders and so on, They also want to be happy ^^

But you are right - starting with the PC version is a good way - we did ;)
The current version runs on PC and with unity you can port it to any other Platform if desired. Of course there is no "on Click" port possible and it still needs some work but it is not like 6 completely different versions.

The 3DS Version however will be seperate because there is no Unity for it.
Since the DC and the 3DS are quite the same regarding specs the Development could be combined.

Also it is not about my expectations, it is about the fans. You cant limit their expectations ;)

About Chris Hülsbeck- Why should he do music now when we dont need music yet? Besides that, the rendervideo you saw is quite old and it is not 100% clear yet if we go with Chris or with Dale Schacker which was the guy who made the Series OST.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I fucking LOVE Saber Rider! so all the best luck to you. And go with Schaker as he did a FANTASTIC job on the original. Btw, the German cast of actors has been re-united, dubbed some four new previously unreleased episodes and is currently doing Audio plays for the series.

If this ends up on Dreamcast I'd probably have a heart attack due to the sheer awesomeness of this.
Insane homebrew collector.
b0b
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by b0b »

Fire-WSP wrote: Now we have an increasing number of Indie Developers who collect money on Kickstarter.
Why do you think is this so?
I'm aware of the situation right now. I don't play that much nowadays. the video game industry needs a new crash imho
indie developers existed before Kickstarter...

"major clusterfuck…" no just development limbo like in the movie Business...
we also have to deal with licence holders and so on, They also want to be happy ^^
well, if you know nothing about this project and just google for it - you can get that opinion. but I'm sorry for the words i choose

But you are right - starting with the PC version is a good way - we did ;)
The current version runs on PC and with unity you can port it to any other Platform if desired. Of course there is no "on Click" port possible and it still needs some work but it is not like 6 completely different versions.
I never played around with Unity. I'm sure it's perfectly fine if you are fine with it's downsides.
The 3DS Version however will be seperate because there is no Unity for it.
Since the DC and the 3DS are quite the same regarding specs the Development could be combined.
i'm sure the 3ds outperforms the dreamcast. anyway...
how is your plan to "port" it? could some work from the pc version be taken over? i'm thinking of basic level-structure, enemy patterns etc.
how is your workflow on the unity-version anyway?
About Chris Hülsbeck- Why should he do music now when we dont need music yet? Besides that, the rendervideo you saw is quite old and it is not 100% clear yet if we go with Chris or with Dale Schacker which was the guy who made the Series OST.
well i don't really care who or what - I just found it "funny" to see huelsbecks name in the render-trailer and schackers in the "design"-document. and then reading in some articles on the net that huelsbeck wasn't really involved... thats all