Working with Lighting and Shadows on the DC

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
park
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Working with Lighting and Shadows on the DC

Post by park »

bogglez wrote:The shadows in Matt hoffman BMX and Phantasy Star Online are so pixelated they're probably using shadow maps, aren't they?
That seems to be the case for only 3 games on dc : Derby Tsuku 2, Matt Hoffman pro BMX and Urban Chaos.Phantasy star on dc no, but I think later versions for pc and gamecube did use them.Tony Hawk pro skater 1 and 2 did something like it but instead draw circle shadows for each body part, render it to a texture around the skater and let it be affected by the light source.I wonder why they werent used for frequently on the dreamcast, some games could have benefited aesthetically from them.
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

A quick video with the option to change Shadow Quality between Off, Fast, and Stencil.
Off is obvious.
Fast uses a pre-tessellated circle that is actually a non-textured mesh, using alpha blending to achieve the "shadow".
Stencil again is non-textured alpha blended, but uses the model geometry projected onto a 2D plane to create the shadow mesh.

PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

IMO that seems a bit too colorful for a Zombie setting, so here is another map.
Adding PVR Fog helps set the mood :lol:

park
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Been thanked: 0

Post by park »

Makes me wonder if you plan to test how big of a horde of enemies you can make while keeping keeping a steady frame rate.
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Yes, I am testing hoard size :lol:

It will depend on Map Size, Graphic Options, and weather or not 2 player mode is active.

Light Maps = 2x Render BSP Geometry.
Stencil Shadows = 2x Render Per Model.
2 Player Mode = 2x Render Everything.

Light Maps Off + Stencil Shadows Off Might Be Possible to have a hoard of ~16 in a small map, in single player mode.

Today I have worked on AI for the Zombies, and things continue to improve: