Help With Compiling

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
steadi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help With Compiling

Post by steadi »

Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I recently decided that I would like to program for the DreamCast, So I set up DDEr4 and am using code blocks to program. After setting up a small "hello world" message, I build the solution and then I end up with a .elf file and a .o file inside my debug folder.

What would I need to go about doing next in order to make it runnable on the Dreamcast itself. Would I export it to .bin with a converter?

Sorry if this is a nooby question but I only began programming a few years back and some of this is all foreign to me as my main area of expertise is software development.

Thanks in Advance,
Matt
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help With Compiling

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The .o file is a COFF file containing just your program's compiled code and symbol table. The .elf file is the full executable format that is linked with the libraries, startup code, and so on.

You have two basic options:

1) Master a disc with your program as the boot file. For this it needs to be converted to .bin and then "scrambled" into a 1ST_READ.BIN file. The "scramble" tool is probably already in DDEr4 somewhere.

2) Run a separate loader program on the Dreamcast to load the .elf file. There's a program that does this, but I don't remember what it's called.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer