Fackue's Bin Checker Program (BIN type question)

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Dreamcast
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Fackue's Bin Checker Program (BIN type question)

Post by Dreamcast »

Is there a version less than 2.0.4 available anywhere (ideally 2.0.3a) ? The program has a feature to convert between types of BINs (scrambled / unscrambled, etc), however the "convert" option is never selectable (the button is always disabled).

My reason for needing this app is because I need to understand what the difference between "KATANA" and the other BINs is. I've tried copying the first several hundred bytes from "KATANA" BINs over to "(UN)SCRAMBLED" BINs to see if I can make them show up as "KATANA" in the app, but they won't.

Is there a specific format or identifier that makes a BIN a "KATANA" BIN?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Fackue's Bin Checker Program (BIN type question)

Post by BlueCrab »

"KATANA" binaries would be those compiled against the official Dreamcast SDK from Sega (usually just referred to as the Katana SDK). That would be the "real" difference between them.

Now, if you want to know why the fackue's program detects them as a Katana binary versus a normal homebrew unscrambled/scrambled binary, the easiest way to see that is to look at the source of fackue's BootDreams program (since the 1st read checker source code that is available doesn't actually differentiate between the different types of binaries other than to say whether or not it is scrambled) and see what it is looking for. In the case of a Katana binary, it is looking for the following string somewhere in the binary:

Code: Select all

shinobi library for dreamcast version 
If the tool finds that particular string, it will report that it is a Katana binary (unless it detects that it is an ELF file first, but that's somewhat irrelevant here).
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fackue's Bin Checker Program (BIN type question)

Post by emptythought »

Can anyone post a mirror for the source code? Please? Thank you.