IT'S THE APOCALYPSE! NOES

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

IT'S THE APOCALYPSE! NOES

Post by gamedudex2 »

http://www.3drealms.com/news/2007/12/dn ... video.html

DNF Teaser Video coming tomorrow

Last Saturday we had our annual company Christmas party. It was a lot of fun as usual but it featured one special surprise. It turns out that several people had been secretly working late nights and into the wee hours of the morning preparing a special video for those at the party. They created a short teaser for Duke Nukem Forever.

After seeing the teaser we thought it was something we should share with all of you and while it's just a teaser, rest assured more is coming.

Tomorrow, Wednesday the 19th, around noon CST, we will release the first teaser trailer from Duke Nukem Forever. To tide you over until then, there has been a screen shot taken from the teaser and posted in our forums. Check it out here.

Thank you for being fans of the game and for your continued patience.

We'd like to thank the people on the team that worked so hard to create this teaser and the friends of 3DR that helped create it (Jeremy Soule and Julian Soule, Frank Bry, Jason Evigan and of course, Jon St. John).
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Re: IT'S THE APOCALYPSE! NOES

Post by Stormwatch »

Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

lol, ya i know. id actually buy duke nukem forever if they would have just released a version even on game engine they had shown off in 99/2000 for pc and dreamcast. i wish they would actually release a game while im still alive.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

They have spent way too much time on this game. I lost interest at the turn of the millennium.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Veggita2099 wrote:They have spent way too much time on this game. I lost interest at the turn of the millennium.
Have they been developing it this entire time? :o
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

stagg wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:They have spent way too much time on this game. I lost interest at the turn of the millennium.
Have they been developing it this entire time? :o
Sort of. I hear that they have changed game engines three times since beginning it's development.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50464 *trailer* doom 3 engine

latforms for the game were not confirmed, but when asked today whether Xbox 360 in addition to PC is likely, Broussard's response sounded positive though not definitive. "I don't think we've stated that yet for the record but your observations are probably noted," he conceded.

First announced for PC in 1997 as a followup to the studio's classic Duke Nukem 3D, Duke Nukem Forever is known to have gone through several significant development iterations. Its last major showing was at E3 2001 with its impressive gameplay trailer; the current Duke Nukem Forever is said to share little in common with that game. For more on the history of Duke Nukem Forever, check out Nick Breckon's feature, published today.

"It's basically a restart as the tech changed and we've been on this version of the game since 2004 or so," Broussard said today. "The released media up to this point are not longer relevant other than for curiosity purposes."
"As trailers go, it doesn't compare to the 2001 trailer; though this really isn't a trailer so the..."
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

A Decade of Duke: The Brief Long History of DNF
by Nick Breckon Dec 19, 2007 11:00am CST
It's taken longer to develop than the mapping of the human genome. It's the first Google result for "When it's done." It's birthed the longest running development period in video game history, and the longest running joke in internet history. It's still not out.

Maybe the one thing you can't say about Duke Nukem Forever is that it's been canceled. And now, thanks to that fortune, we may yet be treated to a release of the infamous game. But how did we get here? I was in 7th grade when DNF was announced, and though I've followed its development since, my memory of that time is muddled with the pleasures of late 90s gaming, and the horrors of braces.

So how did this madness begin, again?

January 29, 1996: Duke Nukem 3D is released on PC. Mac, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, and Sega Saturn ports follow later in the year.

Mid-1996: Work on Duke Nukem Forever begins. The game, envisioned as a 2D/3D side-scrolling title in the vein of Donkey Kong Country, is soon abandoned when developer Keith Schuler shifts his focus to the Duke Nukem 3D Plutonium Pak.

January 1997: Early prototyping begins on the next true Duke game. The FPS sequel to Duke Nukem 3D is tentatively referred to as Duke Nukem 4.

March 1997: Daikatana development begins.

April 27, 1997: The fourth major game in the Duke series is announced by 3D Realms. Officially dubbed Duke Nukem Forever, the name is poached from the canceled side-scroller. id Software's Quake II engine is licensed for development. GT Interactive is set to publish.

August 1997: The first DNF screenshots are printed in PC Gamer, with other sites picking them up eventually.

November 1997: 3D Realms/Apogee founder Scott Miller states that Doctor Proton, Duke's nemesis from the original side-scroller, will return in DNF.

May 1998: The first trailer is unveiled at E3, depicting several scenes with a new pre-Alyx female sidekick, dubbed Bombshell. Wailing guitar, the infamous axe-wielding miner, and a variety of gameplay scenarios are also featured.

June 1, 1998: Team Fortress 2 development begins.

June 15, 1998: A few days following the Duke Nukem Forever trailer debut, 3D Realms drops the Quake II engine and licenses then-Epic MegaGames' Unreal engine. "We don't feel there will be a significant development delay," says Duke co-creator George Broussard.

August, 1998: "At this point, we are really in full production mode again on the game," reports Broussard in a .plan file. "We expect to have gun and guys walking around any day like we never switched engines." The team aims for a 1999 release.

September, 1998: Scott Miller claims that DNF will "set a new standard" for first person interactivity.

October 12, 1998: Duke Nukem: Time to Kill is released on PlayStation.

September 1, 1999: Duke Nukem: Zero Hour is released on Nintendo 64. Broussard is quoted as saying DNF will probably not feature a software renderer. (News)

October 22, 1999: Scott Miller tells 3D Unlimited that the game is now making use of improvements made to the Unreal engine developed for Unreal Tournament.

October 24, 1999: Miller calls on the Duke community to generate suitable names for the inevitable DNF sequel. (News)

November 1, 1999: New DNF screenshots surface, showing off the Unreal engine-powered graphics. Future Gears mastermind Cliffy B is quoted: "Those shots rock my nuts."

November 20, 1999: Broussard to Dukeworld on recent production delays due to engine updates: "We broke off our code at Unreal 220. But unfortunately that was a fairly unstable version of the engine. We had intended to continue on our own, but Epic simply did too good a job with UT. ...Not patching to it would be a colossal mistake."

November 30, 1999: Duke Nukem is released on Game Boy Color.

December 1999: Infogrames buys a majority stake in GT Interactive, eventually buying the company outright. DNF is slotted for a 2000 release.

March 10, 2000: Shacknews interviews Broussard, who speaks of a robust multiplayer component and innovative interactivity. "I'm not sure many people (other than the die hards) will play the game from beginning to end multiple times, but I do expect almost everyone to re-load maps and look at specific cool things they saw or did," says Broussard. "Strippers come to mind."

April 14, 2000: Daikatana is released.

September 19, 2000: Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes is released on PlayStation.

December 5, 2000: Publisher Infogrames sells the Duke Nukem rights to Take-Two Interactive. Take-Two subsidiary publisher Gathering of Developers is now lined up to publish DNF.

March 28, 2001: A Gathering of Developers calendar reveals inklings of a plot: Duke is forced out of a Las Vegas retirement when Dr. Proton blows up the city. Shooting commences. (News)

Turn the page for an epic trailer, and the end of a long road to the present.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

A Decade of Duke: The Brief Long History of DNF
by Nick Breckon Dec 19, 2007 11:00am CST

May 17, 2001: The second DNF trailer debuts on the first day of E3 2001, comprised mainly of in-game footage. It is epic.

August 2001: Gathering of Developers closes its doors, and Take-Two takes over the duties of DNF publisher. During a Take-Two conference call, the company notes that DNF won't see a release until 2002 at the earliest. (News)

2002: The Dark Age of Duke. Work on the current version of DNF is halted. The vast majority of level design work is scrapped in transition to a new, mostly home-grown engine. Unstable Unreal code is blamed for the previous delays. New talent is brought on to continue development, bringing the team size to over 30.

May 14, 2002: Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project is released on PC.

August 12, 2002: Duke Nukem Advance is released on Game Boy Advance.

May 29, 2003: Take-Two CEO Jeffrey Lupin informs reporters that Duke Nukem Forever will not be out by the end of 2003. Broussard fires back shortly after, reminding readers that DNF remains self-funded, while also issuing a famously stiff rebuttal to its publisher: "Take Two needs to STFU imo." The spate makes national news, including a story on CNN. (Broussard's comments)

January 20, 2004: After winning the Wired.com Vaporware Award for two years in a row, Duke Nukem Forever is given an honorary Lifetime Achievement award.

September 9, 2004: New Take-Two CEO Rich Roedel claims the game is using Doom 3 technology. Broussard denies it. (News)

September 14, 2004: 3D Realms announces that the Karma physics engine will be replaced with technology from Meqon Research, a company that will later be acquired by AGEIA in 2005.

February 16, 2005: Scott Miller announces that all future 3D Realms releases will be delivered digitally by the Game xStream service, later renamed Triton. (News)

September 30, 2005: Broussard flashes Shacknews regular mr. sleepy with a handful of DNF screenshots, which the user characterizes as "awesome." (Comment)

January 31, 2006: Interviewed by 1UP, Broussard is asked of DNF's progress, responding: "We're basically just pulling all the pieces together and making the game out of it. There's a lot that's finished. All the guns are finished. Most of the creatures are finished."

April 12, 2006: Computer Games Magazine visits 3D Realms and reports on the game's current state. They are shown "mainly just pieces of the game in progress and tech demos", such as "an early level, a vehicle sequence, a few test rooms."

August 30, 2006: Shacknews reports that 3D Realms has seen several employee departures over the previous year. 3D Realms downplays the impact of the losses, asserting that work on DNF is still progressing. "Physics and animation systems are virtually finished and shippable," Broussard replies. "It's simply maintenance and polish from here on out." (News)

October, 2006: The Triton download service begins to fail when the developing company, Digital Interactive Streams, abruptly goes out of business. Triton users who had purchased the recently released, 3D Realms-published Prey are given retail copies as compensation. The game is added to Valve Software's Steam digital distribution service on December 1.

December 27, 2006: DNF wins Wired.com's Vaporware Award again, despite already winning the Lifetime Achievement years in the past.

January 26, 2007: A small thumbnail attached to a 3D Realms job posting is later revealed to be an in-game Duke Nukem Forever screenshot. One additional shot is later released in this manner. (News)

March 20, 2007: Scott Miller tells YouGamers that DNF is running under a heavily modified version of the Unreal Engine.

October 10, 2007: Team Fortress 2 is released.

December 18, 2007: 3D Realms announces a new DNF teaser trailer will debut on the following day, and releases a single screenshot in advance. Shacknews user Dognose slips into cardiac arrest. (News)

December 19, 2007: Shacknews premieres first Duke Nukem Forever teaser trailer in over six years.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

It's UP!!!
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Considering I didn't expect to even see any in-game visuals, I must say that trailer is more than I could have ever hoped for.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by FiendWithoutAface »

"Im lookin for some alien toilet to park my bricks" lol

Not to keen on the voice though. It needs a but more grit.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

It is the same voice actor. But yeah, he does sound less gritty. He should drink some whiskey or something.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Wow. Smoking a cigar while lifting weights. Duke Nukem is so hardcore. :roll:
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

TyBO wrote:Wow. Smoking a cigar while lifting weights. Duke Nukem is so hardcore. :roll:
Ha! How he doesn't drop dead from a heart attack is beyond me.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Strapping Scherzo wrote:
TyBO wrote:Wow. Smoking a cigar while lifting weights. Duke Nukem is so hardcore. :roll:
Ha! How he doesn't drop dead from a heart attack is beyond me.
Thats because he drinks a bottle of Staggs essence every morning to make him stay "tuff"
Last edited by FiendWithoutAface on Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

FiendWithoutAface wrote:Thats because he drinks a bottle of Staggs essence every morning to make him stay tough.
I think you mean "tuff"
It's thinking...
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

|darc| wrote:
FiendWithoutAface wrote:Thats because he drinks a bottle of Staggs essence every morning to make him stay tough.
I think you mean "tuff"
Indeed I did. Your charity shall not soon be forgotten.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

You know, I actually did expect to see some gameplay. People were "up all night" working on that teaser? Maybe they should quit putting their efforts into glamorous prerendered teasers and maybe put a few all nighters into working on the actual game.