just beat wind waker.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by melancholy »

Wind Waker would have been fabulous if it were not for all the sailing. I absolutely hated all the sailing I had to do in that game. I would sometimes just run around on land just for the hell of it out of dread of hopping back into that boat. Other than that, though, the game was wonderful.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer
Been thanked: 0

Post by Phantom »

You can move around faster if you beat that whirlwind guy... I don't remember exactly how it works, it's been too long.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Wind Waker was one of the best Zelda games in years - mostly because it brought a sense of exploration back to the series. Ocarina of Time is wrongfully called the best game in the series (in my opinion) because it does not preserve any of the same feelings the original game offered in terms of feeling so lost and small and having so much to discover. In most of the new Zelda games, they tell you exactly where to go and what objectives you have. That is why I actually enjoyed the sailing in Wind Waker.

However, not all I have to say is positive. There are obviously too few dungeons and the game is somewhat easy (or maybe we're all just that good). For being a Zelda game, it sure felt short.

Anxious to see what Twilight Princess has to offer though - whenever stores get it back in stock.

- Fuzmeister
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Phantom wrote:You can move around faster if you beat that whirlwind guy... I don't remember exactly how it works, it's been too long.
Yeah, but the selection of warp areas are limited and you still have to do a hell of a lot of sailing up to that point, not to mention the sheer amount if you decide to tackle every island.
S. Thompson wrote:Wind Waker was one of the best Zelda games in years - mostly because it brought a sense of exploration back to the series. Ocarina of Time is wrongfully called the best game in the series (in my opinion) because it does not preserve any of the same feelings the original game offered in terms of feeling so lost and small and having so much to discover. In most of the new Zelda games, they tell you exactly where to go and what objectives you have. That is why I actually enjoyed the sailing in Wind Waker.
I feel that sense of scale is artificial. They place miles of dead water in between the islands. I mean, I loved the amount of stuff there was to discover, don't get me wrong, but the amount of sailing required to reach all of those destinations was tedious at best.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

melancholy wrote:I feel that sense of scale is artificial. They place miles of dead water in between the islands. I mean, I loved the amount of stuff there was to discover, don't get me wrong, but the amount of sailing required to reach all of those destinations was tedious at best.
Some of the islands and such were rather small, I will definately agree with that... I never found the sailing overly tedious, but I can see how some people would think that is was.

- Fuzmeister
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Darcus Magnus wrote:Without going into a fanboy tirade, I'll just say I have a personal boycott against Sony products. I refuse to buy something from them again.
I absolutely, 100% understand your pain. But how about picking up a nice used one at no profit to Sony? It will be increasingly easy to find them cheap as the PS3 takes root.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

impetus wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:Without going into a fanboy tirade, I'll just say I have a personal boycott against Sony products. I refuse to buy something from them again.
I absolutely, 100% understand your pain. But how about picking up a nice used one at no profit to Sony? It will be increasingly easy to find them cheap as the PS3 takes root.
Ultimately if people like me gobble up used PS2s there is a larger market for new ones. And by purchasing PS2 hardware and software I am showing stores that there is an interest in the Sony platform.

Yes, I'm probably going a bit too far with all of this, but really it's not that I have strong principles, it's just that my interest in the PS2 isn't really big enough to shatter what small principles I have.
It's thinking...
henzenmann
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by henzenmann »

About Wind Waker: I also found it a little too easy. The graphics are such an amazing experience though. They took cell shading to a whole new level, it is not just a gimmick, you actually feel like you are in a cartoon. And I did not mind the sailing much either. There is just so much do explore!
My favourite Zelda remains Link to the Past :)

About Sony: I was planning to get a chipped PS2 or a Japanese model to finally get to play some of those Cave shooters... but now I'm just so turned of by Sony that I won't. They obviously hate import gamers, so screw them.