Recommend some games!
I've been more or less out of the loop for a very long time.
From about 2004 until now, I've been a console gamer almost exclusively. But due to a convergence of factors (complete lack of interest in PS4/Xbone, fancy new computer, rising interest in small indie titles coupled with rapidly declining interest in AAA releases, renewed interest sparked by recent replaying of old DOS favorites), I've decided to go back to computer-based gaming.
What have I missed over the last decade or so?
Ten years is a lot of ground to cover, but I'm wide open to suggestions.
- I've got a reasonably powerful new computer, but it is a Mac, so games with OSX versions are preferred. (Please, do us both a favor and forego the Apple comments. I got the computer with a secondary intention of it being gaming-capable, but it is not primarily for games.) I have a few different Wine-based solutions for Windows titles, but those tend to get kind of spotty with post-DX9 games. I may cave at some future point and set up a true Windows partition, but I'm trying to avoid that for as long as possible. I'm still open to Windows-only recommendations, but they will get far less attention than games with cross-platform support.
- If it had a PS3, Wii/Wii U, or 3DS incarnation, I've *probably* already heard of it.
- Genre preferences. I'm not too big on sports games, MMO-anythings, or turn-based games, and I have markedly old-fashioned taste in FPSes (though I did quite enjoy BioShock). However, I'm open to pretty much everything else.
- Controller support is pretty decent. I have a good nkro keyboard, a mouse, an Apple trackpad, and a wide assortment of controllers (PS3, Wii, 360, and GameCube controllers that can be used with the system).
- Aside from Nintendo titles, recent(ish) favorites have included
the Battle Kid series
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
the Little Big Planet series (largely due to its robust creation tools)
Pillars of Eternity
Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Shovel Knight (my Game of the Year for 2014)
Steam World Dig
World of Goo
the Worms remakes