Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by not just souLLy now »

Specially Cork wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:I picked up the Tomb Raider reboot last week and got some time over the weekend to play it. I'd heard some muted praise about it but it's actually way better than I expected. Pick this up if you've been on the fence like me.
Muted praise? It was Runner Up in BoneyCork's GOTY Awards 2013!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Well, for some reason I bought a PS Vita (3G model, with an 8GB memory card). For some reason it was $30 off (unadvertised special, or perhaps a signal of an impending price drop?), so there was that at least... Also got these to go with it:

Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita)
Ciel Nosurge (PS Vita)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I took advantage of a clearance sale to pick up the "Mario & Luigi" 3DS XL:

Normally, this isn't something I'd buy, for three reasons: (1) we already have a 3DS, (2) the size is actually a disadvantage in some ways; it's not as pocketable, and the larger screen makes everything look more pixelated, and (3) I strongly prefer to have physical copies of all my games.

But after 3 years of just borrowing Eva's 3DS when there was a game I wanted to play, and with the system's excellent catalog of games putting us in increasingly frequent competition for time with the system, I figured it was time to get my own.

She has the standard black launch model (complete with the "ambassador" downloads, since she bought it before the price drop), but I've been using the 3DS a lot lately, and I've found the controls to be just a little bit cramped. The XL has much more comfortable buttons and d-pad.

And while I'm not a fan Nintendo's recent practice of using digital downloads instead of physical copies for all its pack-in games, it's still a freebie. The Mario & Luigi edition of the 3DS is priced the same as the system without a game... cheaper, actually, since many retailers appear to be clearing it out of stock.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Also, A Link Between Worlds is a damned incredible game that anyone who likes video games even a little bit should play.

When I first started, I was a little concerned that it would feel too derivative of Link to the Past... but it's got some of the most creative dungeon design I've ever seen in a Zelda game, and like Super Mario 3D World, it's one of the few titles that really manages to make the 3D integral to the experience and a vital part of the game design.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

How much you played on clearance.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

cube_b3 wrote:How much you played on clearance.
I assume you're asking how much I paid?

About the same as when you find the XL on sale elsewhere--look around and you can find this bundle for around $165-$180, depending on the store and the sale.

The cheapest way to get an XL is still to order a refurbished one direct from Nintendo for $150, though that's just the normal (no game, no special edition) systems and they are refurbished, so they may have some dings and scratches. They also sell refurbished regular 3DSes the same way for $110.

I thought about getting one of those because they're even cheaper, but I've had nothing but bad luck buying refurbished electronics in the past.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yes, careless type.
I apologize.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Having had both I found the XL a far superior experience, I really couldn't go back now at all.
If you are noticing ugly larger pixels it may be because you're playing Mario and Luigi Dream Team, that game is a bit of an ugly pixelated mess regardless of what model you're using to be honest.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Haven't actually played it yet, as I still have one or two more dungeons left in Zelda.

The larger pixels are pretty noticeable, IMO, and it's really the only thing I don't like about the XL. It's especially noticeable since I started playing Zelda on the regular 3DS and switched to the XL about halfway through. It's also a bit jarring to go from the "retina" (1136 x 640 @ 326 ppi) display on my phone to the comparatively pathetic 400 x 240 @ 96 ppi.

The newfound lack of hand cramps is more than worth it, though. The d-pad and shoulder buttons on the regular 3DS are almost unbearable.

Now, if Nintendo would just join us in the 21st Century and handle their cross-device content management in a sane way....
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I much prefer the smaller 3DS. The controls aren't perfect, but it slips into my pocket easily and I feel the visuals are just right. Plus I barely every use the 3D anyway AAAAND almost all the games I own are digital downloads, because I love not having to carry cards around and having everything saved on one SD. So it's to late to switch now anyway because Nintendo have no idea how the internets works.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I rarely used my DS on the go.
Unless I was travelling.

I think the most use I got out of it was in bed at night.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The XL is definitely not pocketable the way the regular model is. This is another drawback. I loved my DS Lite, because it was just the right size to slip into my pocket without having everything feel cramped.

The 3DS is the same size overall, but the buttons are flatter and "clickier" with less travel, feeling somewhere in between the DS Lite buttons and the GBA SP buttons, which I hated. The shoulder buttons on the 3DS are also hellishly uncomfortable, and the d-pad is both "clicky" like the buttons and low enough on the system that there is very little lip to hold onto, making it rather awkward and uncomfortable to use. (The analog stick is fine.)

The XL's extra size fixes the problem with the d-pad, the shoulder buttons are both more comfortably shaped and easier to rest your fingers on during play (I have to make a conscious effort to use the shoulder buttons with the regular 3DS), and the buttons have a bit more travel to them (they're about halfway between the 3DS buttons and the DS Lite buttons). And the matte finish just rests more comfortably in my hand than the glossy finish.

Neither is perfect, and they both have their advantages and disadvantages. But I'm very happy with the XL, and between the two of us, we have one of each... so that's not a problem. I've also found that I don't play games on the go nearly as much as I used to, so pocketability is not as important a factor as it once was. Besides, I've also got an iPhone.

So how would my "ideal" 3DS be?

We'd start with the regular 3DS as the base, since its size is more portable. Then we need the following refinements.

1. Better face buttons. The analog circle pad is all right, but bring back the superior DS Lite d-pad and face buttons.

2. Better (read: slanted) shoulder buttons. Nintendo introduced the world to shoulder buttons, and they've had some of the best: the SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii Classic Controller, GBA (original model), DS (original model), Wii U Game Pad, and even the Virtual Boy all had perfectly good, comfortable shoulder buttons. However, the GBA SP, 3DS, and to a lesser extent the DS Lite and 3DS XL have focused more on a sleek system design than comfortable controls. It may make the system look less refined, but it would be much more comfortable to have a slanted or curved back edge so that the shoulder buttons more naturally conform to the angle of your fingers.

3. Higher resolution screen. Yes, I know this has wider implications in terms of the system resources, battery life, and cost, but in the age of 1080p smartphones, I really don't see why we can't manage VGA resolution. That's big enough to provide ample detail for mobile games, and to use the 3DS system menu without the icons turning into fuzzy, illegible blocks.

4. Matte finish. Glossy electronics look shiny at first, but they're less comfortable to hold for an extended period and they start looking greasy and gross very quickly.Either a textured finish (like the back of the Wii U GamePad) or a rubberized grip would be ideal.

5. Integrate the damn eShops. This one Nintendo CAN fix, and it will dramatically improve all 3DSes. It's annoying that if I buy a Virtual COnsole game on my Wii U, I can't play that same game on my 3DS. I have to re-buy it, even though both systems are linked to the same Nintendo Network ID and the game is available on both platforms. It's even MORE annoying that I can't share my account across two 3DSes. You can only have your purchases on one system at a time, and they're tied to that system. If I have two 3DSes, I can't keep my content on both. That's ridiculously backwards, and provides a major disincentive for buying eShop versions of retail games rather than physical copies. (Another--though this problem is not unique to Nintendo--is that the eShop versions are priced at the MSRP of the physical copies, making them a much worse deal, all things considered.)

Many of you know that I tend toward physical copies of most media as a matter of personal preference. However, if Nintendo's eShop worked the same as Sony's PSN, I'd probably buy most of my 3DS games as digital downloads, so that Eva and I could both have the games on our systems. I'd also buy more games overall--I tend to stay away from multiplayer handheld games (such as Street Fighter 4, Mario Kart 7, and the upcoming Smash Bros.), because you generally need a copy of the game for each player. Even games that support single-cartridge play are severely limited in such circumstances. These games aren't much fun without multiplayer, and I don't want to buy the same game twice, so I end up not buying it at all. This is a major missed opportunity, and an example of where digital downloads can provide a real advantage. I'd have downloaded Mario Kart 7 immediately if I could install it on both systems. As it stands, I'll probably never buy the game.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Higher resolution screen. Yes, I know this has wider implications in terms of the system resources, battery life, and cost, but in the age of 1080p smartphones, I really don't see why we can't manage VGA resolution. That's big enough to provide ample detail for mobile games, and to use the 3DS system menu without the icons turning into fuzzy, illegible blocks.
This is what pisses me off most about the 3D feature. Not only do I barely ever use it, but if you ever run Pokemon X/Y in 3D, you'll see how it just cripples the system. Outputting everything twice over is obviously seriously inefficient and I believe a better quality screen was sacrificed because of that. We can argue about whether 3D is a gimmick or not to the end of time (it is), but it's undeniable that my 3DS is graphically gimped because of it and feels seriously outdated hardware-wise.
DaMadFiddler wrote:Integrate the damn eShops.
The joke that Nintendo have been too slow when it comes to online services is getting a little old now. The fact that this many years on, they're still miles behind what their competition are offering in terms of choice is more than a little embarrassing.

I want to think that Nintendo are refusing to release their old games on iOS or Android because they are too fond of their IP, want to support their handheld business, or simply don't want to gimp their library of classics with awful touch-screen controls. It seems more likely though that they simply fill the boardroom with vomit every time they think of me playing Mario on my iPad and iPhone but only buying it once.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Talking of the 3DS I picked up Virtue's Last Reward. This completely flew under my radar. I was just browsing GameFAQS and somebody brought it up. 999 is one of my favourite games of all time and I pretty much fell off my chair when I realised a sequel had come out and I'd missed it.

I've only just started playing so opinions will come later I guess, but I've heard it's even better so I'm expecting something fantastic.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Again more picking up cheap PS3 stuff I'd always heard about but never played.
Picked up Dead Space 2 for a startlingly cheap £2.50. First experience of the series. Like it.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

The Conduit (Wii) £4.00
Super Mario Kart (Virtual Console) £1.49
Edge (Nintendo eShop) £1.79)

Edge is worth it just for the soundtrack (It's also a great game).
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Bought a xbox 360 slim. With gears of war 3/2...and vanquish..
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

XBOX360

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warefare. - I can't believe how well this game works. Actually reminds me a lot of Conker live and reloadeds multiplayer. Ive been having a lot of fun with my friends on live with this game. Its just a lighthearted stress free online game.

DREAMCAST

DUX 1.5 Jewcase - Finally picked up Dux as it was on sale at Play-asia. Its alright, the music is quite good. I really don't like Hucast for whoring this game out, and honestly Strumwind and fast striker are much more enjoyable SHMUPS for me. But I wanted it for my collection as I love SHMUPs and of course new Dreamcast games.

Neo XYS Limited Edition - Ordered this off playasia too. Still waiting for it though, its taking forever to ship. So no report on it yet.

3DS:

Super Mario 3D Land - first mario game Ive really sat down and played since Super Mario 64. Its a fun game, with good level design, although a bit short. Its a mario game, got exactly what I expected.

Pokemon y - got this for free from a friend. Haven't started it yet but really looking forward to it.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

3D Land is the first Mario game you've sat down with since 64? It's a great game, but do NOT skip the two Galaxy titles. The Galaxies are the two best games in the entire Super Mario series, and probably the two best 3D platformers ever made.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Call of Duty: Ghosts - Wii U £17.99 (Said i'd get it when it dropped under £20)
DuckTales: Remastered - Nintendo eShop £5.99 (eShop sale)

Midway Arcade Origins - PS3 £5.99 (Includes Smash TV, Super Off Road and Gauntlet 1+2, need I say more?)