Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by Eckostyle »

Skyrim - PC
KOF XIII - PS3
Modern Warfare 3 - 360
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

My Black Friday haul:

Assassin's Creed Revelations (360) - $35
Gears of War triple pack (360) - $8
Metroid Other M (Wii) - $5
Sonic Generations (360) - $30

I regret buying Sonic, half because I really didn't have the money to buy it but was kinda peer pressured into it, and half because I could have bought Mario Land for the same price tomorrow. I'll probably return it and just keep the money. Hopefully the computer I build next year will actually run the PC version better.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

My Black Friday Haul:

Uncharted 3 (PS3) - $30

That's all I really need.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I lied when I said Uncharted 3 was all I really need.

Saints Row 3 (360) Free with some store credit saved up. Wasn't a fan of the first game which felt like a cheap GTA clone, never played the second one, but the cartoonish style and over-the-top weapons in this one intrigued me.
Warhawk (PS3) $3
Motorstorm (PS3) $3

All of these go on the backburner till I'm done with Uncharted 3. Backlogs, how I love thee!
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Backlogs... my god. I have about 30 of them of Steam... my Steam library just hit 100...
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Medal of Honor 2010.

Big mistake. I keep forgetting you can't return what you buy on Steam. Game has turned into one of those communities where the few that play are godlike and not welcoming at all. :(
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Grand Theft Auto 4 (Complete Edition) - PS3

Completed the Main mission. Practically every gaming publication praised the hell out of this game (IGN 10/10). I figured since I really enjoyed LA Noire, I should play GTA IV.

Story - (A wee bit spoiler-ish) Nico: In hopes for "a better life" he moves from Russia to Liberty City to be near his extremely cowardly bi-polar cousin, who starts you working on jobs/missions. You then bounce around for 30+ hours, crossing paths with all sorts of drug lords, lowlifes, etc., doing about 5-10 jobs per client. During the game, you learn that Nico has a mother, and that he once fought in the war back in "home-country". Aaaand that's all you learn about the main character. So you don't end up feeling or caring about whats going on. Some characters in the game are well voice/acted. On the other hand, some characters are extremely over-acted and really annoying.

Music - This was another highly praised aspect to the game... Seriously? I quite enjoy most genres of music, which is why I was so let down. Out of all the radio stations/songs in this game, I think there was a total of 6 songs that I enjoyed.

Controls/Gameplay - Sloppy. Not the worst out there, but still not very good. You learn to make due, and work around it... until it sometimes gets you killed. I hate it when your character will not look over the shoulder you want him to no matter what you do.
Also, why the hell are there no check points during missions!? It REALLY sucks when you get killed or fail during a long delicate mission, and you have to start all over again. And what's more, most of the time you STILL have to make your way over to the mission spot again before you actually restart the mission!! Just typing this is making me mad again.

Graphics - While not cutting edge, I was impressed considering the sandbox/open world setup.

There' s a lot of other stuff that I want to complain about, but honestly, I think it may just be that for whatever reason I just don't connect with GTA. And for me it's frustrating, because it seems that the rest of the world really likes this game. At this point I'm not sure if I'll end up trying the other Episodes.

6.5/10
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

I completed Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
Great game. 9.2/10

Got Mass Effect 3 for Xbox 360 yesterday (standard edition). Started it today and I'm a few hours in. Not sure yet if I like it more or less than the other two. I'm sure we'll talk more about it after it's official release on Tuesday.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

DanteJay wrote: Also, why the hell are there no check points during missions!? It REALLY sucks when you get killed or fail during a long delicate mission, and you have to start all over again. And what's more, most of the time you STILL have to make your way over to the mission spot again before you actually restart the mission!! Just typing this is making me mad again.
When you fail a mission, you get a message on your phone asking if you want to restart it, to avoid driving all over town. Sometimes it will put you mid-way through a mission if it happens to be a long one.

Also, use a taxi.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Code-Red wrote: When you fail a mission, you get a message on your phone asking if you want to restart it, to avoid driving all over town. Sometimes it will put you mid-way through a mission if it happens to be a long one.

Also, use a taxi.
I played it on the PS3, so I'm not sure if it's different. What I can tell you is that every time I failed a mission, I always hit restart from the msg menu on my phone. If I didn't do that, then I would have to drive to the location of the client, in order to receive the mission again. But even though I always hit restart on my phone, I would still have to drive to the destination of where my mission was, and begin the actual mission from the beginning. Quite often I took a taxi, but couldn't always find one when I needed one. Regardless, it was annoying as hell.

I like the freedom that many of these sandbox games give (or at least imply). But in the case of GTA 4, I always found myself trying to "think outside of the box" and then paying dearly for it later. For example, on the last mission, I parked an extra speed boat next to the one the bad guy takes off in, because I didn't want to drive a motorcycle that was conveniently parked near the dock. So after battling my way for 10-15 minutes, I'm off chasing the bad guy in his speedboat with my speedboat. But 30 seconds in to the chase, the game fails me saying "I abandoned the motorcycle". And I'm like, Gahhh!! How did I abandon a motorcycle that's not even mine!? So after starting and going through that mission all over again, it later becomes apparent why I had to use the motorcycle. And I totally get that. It's just that if you're not actually going to give the player the freedom to do as he pleases, at least stop him from wasting his time trying.

Edit:
Finished Mass Effect 3. Fantastic third installment.
9.6/10
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

How long did it take you to beat it, Dante? 1 and 2 usually took me about 24 hours without doing much side work.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:How long did it take you to beat it, Dante? 1 and 2 usually took me about 24 hours without doing much side work.
Including the final mission, 18hrs. I played it in two days (two long ass-killing sittings). It's an all-time record for me, cause I usually can't play for more than 4-6 hrs a sitting.

I started it again tonight because today I was going through some serious withdrawal at work. I'm going to explore more of the side missions, because I let some pass me by on my first play-through.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 (PS3)

I have to say, there are certainly some mechanics in it that I like about it over the ones present in the original. I'll reserve my full opinion for when I actually beat it (which probably means sometime next year).

On a related note, I'm really a sucker for limited edition sets and whatnot...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DanteJay wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:How long did it take you to beat it, Dante? 1 and 2 usually took me about 24 hours without doing much side work.
Including the final mission, 18hrs. I played it in two days (two long ass-killing sittings). It's an all-time record for me, cause I usually can't play for more than 4-6 hrs a sitting.

I started it again tonight because today I was going through some serious withdrawal at work. I'm going to explore more of the side missions, because I let some pass me by on my first play-through.
lol life.

These days I can manage about 90mins of gaming a day at the most - sometimes less, sometimes nothing. Just bought ME3 and it will probably see me through to April. :(
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

beat it last night. beautiful ending, but it just wasn't enough closure for me after a couple hundred hours with the games and having read all 4 books.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I ended up with a copy of MGS4 - having never really bothered with the series I picked up the HD collection for 2 and 3 and bought the original MGS on PSN then played them all through in order over the last month.

I thought 1 still held up well despite some control issues, 2 was a real improvement but the plot assploded, 3 was absolutely superb, and 4 was actually pretty disappointing. I don't mind cut-scenes but they really crossed a line with 4...and I found the boss fights particularly uninteresting. Plus I just don't understand a game that would put so much focus and reward on stealth and not killing people, yet also have such an in-depth weapon system....

Anyway, I thought it was a fantastic series overall and I'm glad to have finally crossed them all off my gaming "to do list" after all these years. I'm completely burnt out on them now though...time for something completely different.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai

Fucking. Amazing.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Silent Hill HD Collection - Xbox 360.

Not my typical genre of game. But since I've been expanding my horizons, I figured I'd give the Silent Hill series a shot.

Completed Silent Hill 2. (12hrs).
- Horrible controls.
- Great dialogue
- Sometimes monotonous and boring
- Horrible controls.
6.5/10

After completing SH2, I decided to watch the Silent Hill movie. While it kept me entertained, the whole thing just felt a bit awkward. Kinda hard to explain. I just think they could have done a lot more in developing the story.

Silent Hill (2006 Movie)
6/10

I've started Silent Hill 3, and now I must ask... Why did Konami switch the default action of the Start and Back buttons!? By default, they're reversed in SH3 compared to SH2. That makes no sense.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I don't like horror movies at all, as they aren't great prodigies of film--more or less just rollercoasters/thrill-machines... aside from zombie films, which do more work into the social-center of the brain... but every once in awhile there are horror films that I respect. Silent Hill is one of them, as is 28 Days Later.

Silent Hill is beautiful.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I heard the HD collection is awful. Apparently they decided to lift some of the fog that was cheekily used to cover up the PS2's technical limitations and now you can see where areas just cut off into nothing :S