Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by Specially Cork »

Portal 2.

Epic Win. It's pretty short, but every second is pure entertainment. I'm also happy to see my crapheap of a laptop running a 2011 PC game.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

BoneyCork wrote:Portal 2.

Epic Win. It's pretty short, but every second is pure entertainment. I'm also happy to see my crapheap of a laptop running a 2011 PC game.

The Source engine is 7 years old, asshole.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:

It's a 2011 PC game though isn't it fuckface? It was released in 2011. Did you play Portal 2 seven fucking years ago? No, you didn't. So suck my balls.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

a lot of modern fps use old engines.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Final Fantasy Anthology (PSX) black label edition, includes soundtrack disc. $10. Quite satisfied. This will be my first time playing through FF3/6 (or 5 for that matter).
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Luriden wrote:Final Fantasy Anthology (PSX) black label edition, includes soundtrack disc. $10. Quite satisfied. This will be my first time playing through FF3/6 (or 5 for that matter).
5 = great gameplay, but meh story and characters
6 = great story and characters, but meh gameplay

But both are pretty fun and well worth playing. I'd like to replay them if I ever have the time. Although I think the PSX editions had some horrible loading for each battle that was fucking annoying.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I put $8 down on the Humble Indie Bundle last night.

Also picked up Pilotwings resort after selling off all my other 3DS games. I didn't necessarily want Pilotwings at first, but I needed some new 3DS game and it was on sale. I beat Rayman, I never really played Ridge Racer, and while I enjoyed Samurai Warriors at first, the game soon becomes impossible to beat without going back and doing a lot of leveling in previous stages (in other words it takes the repetition of Dynasty Warriors and adds 5 times more repetition).
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Kirby's Epic Yarn.

It's sort of a fluff game, good for dumb fun but not very remarkable beyond its admittedly great visual design. It does gain a modicum of challenge when you try to play it 2 player co-op, a feature that works much better in an easy, friendly game like this than in something more challenging and precise like New Super Mario Bros. (which is virtually unbeatable in co-op mode). My one complaint is that they turned it into a sort of Animal Crossing lite, except rather than doing tedious chores to earn your money, you play platforming levels. However, this has become a major focus of the game. As such, you don't actually die when you are hurt; you simply lose some of your collected money. As a result, the traditional goal of "beating" the game becomes almost impossible to NOT achieve eventually, which significantly diminishes the incentive. The only way to feel any sense of challenge is to give in to what used to be a secondary platforming trope: trying to find and collect everything. If you don't care about this goal, the game might as well be set to god mode.

I also can't help the feeling (at least, from the art direction) that Nintendo was a little bit jealous of Little Big Planet. The aesthetics are quite similar, even down to the gentle, storybook-style spoken narration. Of course, the big deal with LBP was the powerful content creation tools, which is where the comparison to Kirby ends. The problem (and the reason Nintendo will never give us a game like Little Big Planet) is that Nintendo--like Apple--is such a stickler for tight design and thus control over the design process, that the very few times they have tried to implement user-created content at all, it's always been restrictive to the point of being nearly useless. (See: Smash Bros. level editor).
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

BlueCrab wrote:
melancholy wrote:Ar Tonelico Qoga
I'm finally nearing the true ending on my first playthrough (there's apparently 4 "true" endings). I'd rate it slightly better than the second game (which I enjoyed more than the first one, in all honesty). Only real thing that bothered me was the repetitiveness of the "boss" battles.

Also, fair warning, don't install any of the Binary World DLC until after you can actually use it. I'd give a better description of when you can install it, but I'd rather not give anything away. If you have installed some of the Binary World DLC (the first part of it is free), you should delete your install data using the Game Data Utility (the save files are fine, regardless). You'll have to sit through the installation again, but at least you won't miss anything.

NISA really seems to have a problem with not breaking the Ar tonelico games in translation... At least its not as bad as the bug in Ar tonelico II.
I got pretty bored of the game after about 20 hours. I ended up getting Finnel's true ending, and shelved it for the time being. I don't think I can bring myself to get all the other endings.

Portal 2, but I have not had a chance to play it since it's finals week.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Thomas wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
melancholy wrote:Ar Tonelico Qoga
I'm finally nearing the true ending on my first playthrough (there's apparently 4 "true" endings). I'd rate it slightly better than the second game (which I enjoyed more than the first one, in all honesty). Only real thing that bothered me was the repetitiveness of the "boss" battles.

Also, fair warning, don't install any of the Binary World DLC until after you can actually use it. I'd give a better description of when you can install it, but I'd rather not give anything away. If you have installed some of the Binary World DLC (the first part of it is free), you should delete your install data using the Game Data Utility (the save files are fine, regardless). You'll have to sit through the installation again, but at least you won't miss anything.

NISA really seems to have a problem with not breaking the Ar tonelico games in translation... At least its not as bad as the bug in Ar tonelico II.
I got pretty bored of the game after about 20 hours. I ended up getting Finnel's true ending, and shelved it for the time being. I don't think I can bring myself to get all the other endings.
That's one thing I've found with the Ar tonelico games in talking to others: Either you love them, or you find them extremely tedious and boring. I find that the whole diving system makes the games quite interesting, honestly.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

More thrift store finds.

MarioKart 64, Star Fox 64, and Wave Race 64.

$3.50 each.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

BoneyCork wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

It's a 2011 PC game though isn't it fuckface? It was released in 2011. Did you play Portal 2 seven fucking years ago? No, you didn't. So suck my balls.

HOLY SHIT MY NEIGHBOR 2 BLOCKS OVER JUST RELEASED A NEW HOMEBREW GAME FOR NES, ON ITS OWN CART AND EVERYTHING. CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE IT (A BRAND NEW FUCKING 2011 GAME) RUNS SO WELL ON MY 1985 NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Luriden wrote:Final Fantasy Anthology (PSX) black label edition, includes soundtrack disc. $10. Quite satisfied. This will be my first time playing through FF3/6 (or 5 for that matter).

One of my favorite titles on the PSX. Currently own 2 sealed copies of it :X
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

HOLY SHIT MY NEIGHBOR 2 BLOCKS OVER JUST RELEASED A NEW HOMEBREW GAME FOR NES, ON ITS OWN CART AND EVERYTHING. CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE IT (A BRAND NEW FUCKING 2011 GAME) RUNS SO WELL ON MY 1985 NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM.
I wasn't praising my laptop. I was praising Valve for releasing a PC game with (what I perceive to be) reasonable minimum specs for this current period in the technology timeline. The fact that they used a 7-year-old engine is my point. They did a good job squeezing mileage out of it.

That said though, I actually only beat the game on 360. :wink:
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

You are retarded.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I like to have the best of most things. If there's one major reason I'm not a PC gamer, it's that I could invest in the best system money could buy, but it even if it could still run all next year's games, it would no longer be the best system money could buy. Furthermore, rather than simply having games that work and games that don't, games will simply continue to run less and less well on your system as time goes by.

The fact that say, anyone who buys a PS3 today cannot play Valkyria Chronicles in a better form than I can on my 2006 model satisfies me, and adds value to my investment. Furthermore, the knowledge that any upcoming games marked "PS3" will also run in their best possible form on my system stops me caring about upgrades or whatnot.

Valve bucked the trend I see with PC gaming in general, and I like that. But yeah...no sofa and joypad.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Way to get a joke. It wasn't about your laptop or your attitudes toward PC gaming. It was that you were shocked that a new game with a 7 year old engine runs fine on your computer, stupid son of a bitch.

OMG SOMEONE JUST MADE A NEW MOD FOR QUAKE 2 AND I CAN'T BELIEVE IT RUNS SO WELL ON MY COMPUTER THAT'S HALF THE AGE OF THAT GAME.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

You still don't get it.

I'm not shocked that a 7-year-old engine runs fine on my computer.
I'm impressed that Valve used a 7-year-old engine for a full-priced 2011 PC game. I hadn't actually followed the development of the game, and naturally assumed it would be using something more advanced.

This is why I used the phrase, "I'm happy to see..." rather than "I'm surprised to see..."

God damn.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

BoneyCork wrote:You still don't get it.

I'm not shocked that a 7-year-old engine runs fine on my computer.
I'm impressed that Valve used a 7-year-old engine for a full-priced 2011 PC game. I hadn't actually followed the development of the game, and naturally assumed it would be using something more advanced.

This is why I used the phrase, "I'm happy to see..." rather than "I'm surprised to see..."

God damn.
Why would Valve develop a new engine for Portal 2? Does Portal 2 mean Half Life 3 in Chinese? Fucking mother fucker.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Crysis 2 and Section 8: Prejudice.