Zelda: Breath of the Wild thread

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild thread

Post by pixel »

I kept trying to explore, but ended up completing the first divine beast quest in the west east. It was surprisingly easy and didn't involve a lot of combat. But the perk you receive afterwards is pretty good for taking down harder shrines and combat-heavy side quests.

I do wish that I had a place to stash non-essential stuff like weapons and armor, kind of like in Borderlands. I got a weapon for one of the divine beast quests and eventually tossed it for space before realizing I could have gotten it repaired back where I got it.

I'm a slut for shrine orbs. I've got a second wheel of stamina unlocked, working on the third. My hearts are still kind of low, but good armor and a shit ton of food makes up for that.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

pixel wrote:I kept trying to explore, but ended up completing the first divine beast quest in the west. It was surprisingly easy and didn't involve a lot of combat. But the perk you receive afterwards is pretty good for taking down harder shrines and combat-heavy side quests.
Which one? Gerudo or Rito?
pixel wrote:I do wish that I had a place to stash non-essential stuff like weapons and armor, kind of like in Borderlands. I got a weapon for one of the divine beast quests and eventually tossed it for space before realizing I could have gotten it repaired back where I got it.
There sort of is...
Spoiler!
In Hateno Village, you can buy a house and get weapon, bow, and shield displays that can hold 3 items of each category. Wish you could hold more than that though.
pixel wrote:I'm a slut for shrine orbs. I've got a second wheel of stamina unlocked, working on the third. My hearts are still kind of low, but good armor and a shit ton of food makes up for that.
I had off of work on Friday, and basically I've spent the entire weekend playing this. I played from 10am Friday morning all the way until 5am Saturday morning 19 hours straight, then went back to sleep and did it all over again through to Sunday morning. :lol: I'm at 50 shrines done, I have 13 hearts and 3/5 of a second stamina wheel done. Only 41 korok seeds down though, I need to get on more of those.

So far, I've only done 1 of the divine beasts. I'm just spending too much time exploring, shrine hunting, armor collecting/upgrading, and side quests. I also went around and mapped out the entire world and got all the shrines I could see out in the open on the way, so I now know where most major landmarks are in the world and I can pretty much teleport to any region, but I still haven't explored anywhere near everything this game has to offer.

I really think they got a whole lot right in this game and there's very little to complain about. Just a warning to you guys who aren't as far as I am, don't start selling off all those items you're collecting while you're exploring unless you're really getting a lot of rupees for it, because all those monster parts, plants, and critters are useful for things down the line. That being said, pretty much everything respawns in this game periodically, so nothing's lost if you do sell/use items up.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:I had off of work on Friday, and basically I've spent the entire weekend playing this. I played from 10am Friday morning all the way until 5am Saturday morning 19 hours straight, then went back to sleep and did it all over again through to Sunday morning. :lol:
Very jealous. In between the supermarket, 2 birthday parties, taking my son to swimming and Chinese class, helping him with his homework, mowing the lawn, working out, cooking a roast dinner, playing with my daughter, playing with my son, showering and sleeping I got about 2 hours of playtime in. Now I won't get any more gaming time until Friday unless I cut into my sleep like last week but I only get 5-6 hours in the first place....sigh.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

I played this for a little bit on my buddy's Switch (found the Master Sword but Link was still too weak) and now I'm seriously thinking about getting a Switch/Wii U to play this.

Read nothing about it, heard nothing about it, watched no trailers. I was expecting another OoT/TP-style game. Any expectations I had were swiftly exceeded.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

|darc| wrote:
pixel wrote:I kept trying to explore, but ended up completing the first divine beast quest in the west. It was surprisingly easy and didn't involve a lot of combat. But the perk you receive afterwards is pretty good for taking down harder shrines and combat-heavy side quests.
Which one? Gerudo or Rito?
I'm an idiot. I meant east out in Zora's Domain.

And I'll have to explore Hateno Village some more, that's good stuff. Thanks for the tip!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Specially Cork wrote:
|darc| wrote:I had off of work on Friday, and basically I've spent the entire weekend playing this. I played from 10am Friday morning all the way until 5am Saturday morning 19 hours straight, then went back to sleep and did it all over again through to Sunday morning. :lol:
Very jealous. In between the supermarket, 2 birthday parties, taking my son to swimming and Chinese class, helping him with his homework, mowing the lawn, working out, cooking a roast dinner, playing with my daughter, playing with my son, showering and sleeping I got about 2 hours of playtime in. Now I won't get any more gaming time until Friday unless I cut into my sleep like last week but I only get 5-6 hours in the first place....sigh.
You need to start neglecting your children more. You will understandably feel guilty about that at first, but it's for a greater good, and your children will understand when they get older why daddy couldn't be there for them.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Just beat the Gerudo divine beast. 2 down, 2 to go.

Well, ZeldaMaps now has the locations of all 900 korok seeds. I'll never find all 900 on my own, so I'm gonna cheat a bit and use the map. Since I've been neglecting to find those, I think I'm going to seek all 900 out and along the way find shrines, mine gems, and gather materials for armor upgrades and side quests along the way. You technically only need 450ish to max out all of your inventory, but supposedly you get a special gift for having all 900, dunno what that is though.

By the way, if you guys are hurting for rupees and looking for a cheap/cheaty and easy way to farm them, the snow bowling game just north of the Hebra tower is a great way to do it. It costs 20 rupees a game, and you get 300 rupees for a strike and 100 rupees for a spare. Once you get it down, you'll be hitting strikes over and over again. I just used this technique to raise the 10,000 rupees needed to unlock the last Great Fairy Fountain. Now I'm on a quest to get all the armor and upgrade it to 4* levels. Which takes a lot of materials, some rare...
It's thinking...
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

|darc| wrote:Well, ZeldaMaps now has the locations of all 900 korok seeds. I'll never find all 900 on my own, so I'm gonna cheat a bit and use the map.
I think that's the best way to handle it. Figure it this way, is it fun combing mindlessly through the map for 900 rocks and little flowers? If so, then have a blast.

That sounds extremely painful to me. It's fun to find them as you explore, but once focusing on just finding them, I'd rather have a guide and get it done.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I remembered last night that I bought a Link amiibo for Smash 4, so I wanted to scan it for sweet loot. Well, I forgot I was on an island and sure enough:
Spoiler!
Epona popped up. Since she wasn't registered yet, I had to get her off. I took my 10 minutes to find a leaf and a raft. But apparently horses don't like boats, so it took another 20 to essentially glitch her aboard.
... Then I accidentally slapped her with my leaf and she took off running back onto the island ...
Spoiler!
After some more careful positioning, she's back on the SS Hyrule and we set sail back to land. Except she didn't gracefully step off back onto land and instead went into the water. I felt like I was a SeaWorld trainer trying to help a developmentally challenged seal get out of the fucking water. After some strange glitching along the coast, she stepped foot back on land and I got her registered at a stable.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

For those wondering about heart containers and stamina upgrades...

120 shrines/4 orbs per upgrade = 30 upgrades.

You can have a max of 30 hearts (this includes temporary yellow hearts), and you start with 3 hearts and get 4 hearts for defeating divine beasts, so that means you can spend a max of 23 upgrades on hearts.

You can spend 10 upgrades on increasing your stamina wheel.

So that means 33 potential upgrades, and you get 30. So really your decision lies in whether you want 3 last hearts or the last 3/5 of the third stamina wheel.

If you decide to change your mind, you can sell heart containers or stamina vessels to a statue between a hill and Firly Pond in Hateno Village for 100 rupees, and then buy either one back for 120 rupees. So basically, for a 20 rupee charge you can swap out heart containers and stamina vessels.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:
Specially Cork wrote:
You need to start neglecting your children more. You will understandably feel guilty about that at first, but it's for a greater good, and your children will understand when they get older why daddy couldn't be there for them.
Nah I promised when I left China I'd stop abandoning my children. Clean slate and all that. I'm really going to try and raise these ones.

Anyway it's another weekend so I'm about to load that bad boy up and play for 30 minutes before bed. Glad to see some more snowy areas off in the distance. It'll be great exploring them around Christmas time.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

OPEN CHEST
Awesome weapon!
...Your inventory is full
CLOSE CHEST

Is fucking me off. All this attention to detail and they couldn't give me an option to swap something out when I pick up new gear?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Specially Cork wrote:OPEN CHEST
Awesome weapon!
...Your inventory is full
CLOSE CHEST

Is fucking me off. All this attention to detail and they couldn't give me an option to swap something out when I pick up new gear?
Agreed -- this is probably the only menu issue that I have though.

I will say this though, they did implement a proper drop mechanic in that when you drop weapons, they fall behind the character so if you drop stuff so that you can pick up things in front of you, you won't end up picking up the shit you just dropped.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Finally made it to Zora's Domain! I'm so far behind...but I kept getting distracted and have done quite a few shrines.

I like how they've made it hard work to get anywhere. So many open world games have massive maps, but easy roads linking every important place together. You'll find people in a village amazed that you came "all the way' from wherever, but it's like 10 minutes on a horse in a staight line.

Hyrule really feels like a journey though. You can completely understand why everyone keeps to their villages and is impressed with your travels. You don't just ride somewhere. You battle the elements, the terrain and monsters to get where you're going. It's how travelling across a fantasy land should be - like Lord of the Rings. When I finally arrived I felt like I'd accomplished something.