Does the wii u require the gamepad.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Does the wii u require the gamepad.

Post by SuperMegatron »

I have seen several wii u consoles on ebay with out the gamepad for under a 100 bucks. I have the wiimotes from my wii. Can i buy the console and just use it with the wiimotes that I have?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Does the wii u require the gamepad.

Post by BlueCrab »

You need a gamepad to even attempt the console setup, and I imagine that practically every game requires it too.

Those consoles on eBay are basically asshats buying bundles and selling the controllers separately, since Nintendo doesn't sell them separately.

If you want a good deal on the whole thing, Nintendo sells them in their online store. The refurbished units go for between $200 and $235, depending on color and what games you get with it. I personally just bought this set the other day -- ended up being about $245 after 2 day shipping and tax for a 32GB black console (including the gamepad, of course), and the built-in games of Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land. Definitely been enjoying it so far, along with the two games I picked up from a local store (Splatoon and Mario Maker). Also Nintendo refurb units come with the same warranty as a new console, and I swear that the one I got looked brand new too (no scratches/scuffs or anything).
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

The problem with Nintendo is that it is too Nintendo.

I convinced myself to buy a Gamecube as a successor to Dreamcast because of the strong deal they struck with Capcom. I bought a deal that came with 1 first party game and the associate threw a bunch of Mario games at me. This was 12 years ago so I was 16 and I just didn't care for Mario. I asked any games that don't have Mario? He recommended running Nintendo franchises like Kirby and Zelda.

I found that really inaccessible cause these are like such long series with their own history and fan base...

It's like Star Wars or Star Trek. People who didn't grow up with the franchise are like why bother. We simply can't relate to the madness.

That is what is great about SEGA. Yes, you have some iteration of Sonic on every home console. However, each console has it's own new IPs designed to welcome new people on board.

I highly doubt my tangent helps but BlueCrab has got everything covered ;)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

What BlueCrab said.

I'd also point out that you need the GamePad to make purchases from the eShop, and some games require it either for gameplay or to get through the menus.

It's also very useful to have even if it wasn't necessary, as it allows you to play Wii/Wii U games offscreen if a family member/SO/friend/housemate wants to use the TV while you're gaming.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:The problem with Nintendo is that it is too Nintendo.

I convinced myself to buy a Gamecube as a successor to Dreamcast because of the strong deal they struck with Capcom. I bought a deal that came with 1 first party game and the associate threw a bunch of Mario games at me. This was 12 years ago so I was 16 and I just didn't care for Mario. I asked any games that don't have Mario? He recommended running Nintendo franchises like Kirby and Zelda.

I found that really inaccessible cause these are like such long series with their own history and fan base...

It's like Star Wars or Star Trek. People who didn't grow up with the franchise are like why bother. We simply can't relate to the madness.

That is what is great about SEGA. Yes, you have some iteration of Sonic on every home console. However, each console has it's own new IPs designed to welcome new people on board.

I highly doubt my tangent helps but BlueCrab has got everything covered ;)
lol wut
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Nintendo consoles don't have a lot of new franchises with new consoles. Which makes their consoles largely for people who are already hardcore Nintendo fans.

Other consoles are more accessible.
Xbox started as the Halo console and 360 was the Gears of War Console. I've not played either games it's just an example.
PS1 had Crash Bandicoot games, PS2 had Jax and Daxter, PS3 has Uncharted, PS4 has Knack :P
MD had Sonic, Saturn had NiGHTS, Dreamcast had Crazy Taxi

Nes had Mario, Snes had Super Mario, N64 had Mario64, Gamecube had Resident Evil which is why I bought it. But beyond a few Capcom games the majority of Nintendo games were only appealing to kids. There was one Zelda game that seemed exciting but it was ported to Wii. I also tried Metroid Prime I didn't like it.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

cube_b3 wrote:I found that really inaccessible cause these are like such long series with their own history and fan base...

Mario, Kirby and Zelda inaccessible?

DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

cube_b3 wrote:I found that really inaccessible cause these are like such long series with their own history and fan base...

:what:

...I have honestly never heard anyone make that particular criticism of Nintendo before.

Mario, Kirby, and Zelda are inaccessible?

You do realize that none of those series have any sort of direct, through-running story, right? It's not like Metal Gear or something, where you'll be lost if you haven't played the previous entries.

Almost all of Nintendo's games are specifically designed to work as standalone titles, and while there may be nods to past games, there's no overarching story to follow or game that makes a bunch of assumptions about what you have and haven't already learned to play. In fact, most Nintendo critics are long-time gamers who are annoyed that they DO spend so much effort making each of their titles accessible to new players, rather than focusing on their existing audience.

Even Zelda, the most story-driven of Nintendo's "main" franchises, needed to come up with some ridiculous (and totally unnecessary) bullshit to make the games even seem like they might fit in the same timeline as one another. Except for the very occasional direct sequel, they're all completely independent.

Just pick a game with good reviews (or that appeals to your personal gameplay preferences; Nintendo experiments frequently and is not shy about reinvention) and dive in.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Look, I am not a Nintendo hater.

I favored Nintendo twice. I bought them after the Dreamcast and then Wii.
Both times it was like shooting myself in the foot. Gamecube was probably better than the Wii. Cause I can only remember three games right now Wii Sports (My favorite), Resident Evil 4 (already owned on Gamecube but exponentially more fun with wiimote) and lastly House of the Dead: OverKill. I sold my Wii and moved to 360 when RE5 came out. It was a huge waste of money cause I barely got a third of my investment back...

Maybe what I meant from inaccessible was that they seem like super kiddie games. I am sorry if I offend Zelda fans. I have never played that franchise but aside from that realistic looking one, I have never ever been attracted to it. This is the general consensus in Pakistan. We find Nintendo inaccessible. They almost have none of the cross platform games. Yes they probably have the most flagship franchises but they are for a limited demographic (KIDS).
They have childish first party games like aside from Bayonetta 2. I don't know what they have...

They are extremely cut off from the contemporary video game industry. They aren't a family oriented company. They are a super kiddie company.

That makes sense right?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:Look, I am not a Nintendo hater.

I favored Nintendo twice. I bought them after the Dreamcast and then Wii.
Both times it was like shooting myself in the foot. Gamecube was probably better than the Wii. Cause I can only remember three games right now Wii Sports (My favorite), Resident Evil 4 (already owned on Gamecube but exponentially more fun with wiimote) and lastly House of the Dead: OverKill. I sold my Wii and moved to 360 when RE5 came out. It was a huge waste of money cause I barely got a third of my investment back...

Maybe what I meant from inaccessible was that they seem like super kiddie games. I am sorry if I offend Zelda fans. I have never played that franchise but aside from that realistic looking one, I have never ever been attracted to it. This is the general consensus in Pakistan. We find Nintendo inaccessible. They almost have none of the cross platform games. Yes they probably have the most flagship franchises but they are for a limited demographic (KIDS).
They have childish first party games like aside from Bayonetta 2. I don't know what they have...

They are extremely cut off from the contemporary video game industry. They aren't a family oriented company. They are a super kiddie company.

That makes sense right?
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3 wrote:That makes sense right?
No it's total horseshit. I have no love for Nintendo's hardware decisions but are you really coming in here as a fully grown adult arguing that because Mario and Zelda don't look realistic, they are inaccessible kiddie games? I remember a few other people thinking like that once, but we were 12 at the time.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Ok, now that my brain has processed what I just read...
cube_b3 wrote:We find Nintendo inaccessible.

You keep saying this but you haven't explained a single word of it.

Maybe it's a language barrier issue, but if something is "inaccessible" it means that it's difficult to understand/appreciate it. You originally used the term correctly, i.e. if you need to have played Franchise Game Part 1-24 in order to understand each game and those games were never released in Pakistan and all of a sudden Game Company Inc. releases Franchise Game 25, yes, that game would be "inaccessible" to Pakistani audiences.

If a game comes out and you think it's too much of a childish/kiddy title for you because it doesn't have bloody execution scenes and depictions of brutal gang rape, that doesn't mean it's "inaccessible." You can access it just fine. You just don't like it because of your intense longing for murderous violence and/or sexual assault.
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

|darc| wrote:intense longing
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Mario, Kirby, and Zelda are accessible on a teenage girl level man.

Read this, then you will know:

Mario hops on things, gets power-ups, and saves a blonde Princess

Kirby eats things and usually gets more of the experimental ideas (Air Ride, Epic Yarn, Dream Course, etc)

Zelda is a hack and slash RPG where jumping is a myth

Now you're up to speed with 30-something years of Nintendo games.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yes, inaccessible may not have been the right word in my subsequent posts. An appropriate word would have been not interesting.

Also a grown up game doesn't need to have sex and violence. Realistic graphics simply go a long way. There is a massive demographic of gamers who simply want more realistic graphics. That is the basic expectation with every console. When Nintendo pushes out new consoles with these cartoony games as system sellers. It is unattractive, maybe not inaccessible.

Does this help?

Side note: I recently got my hands on R4 again and I tried to get people to play it with me. It's a 4 player game, but I could only get 1 guy to play it. I left my DC at his house and he only played the game with me when I was over. He had other current gen racing games like BurnOut or something. That he spent a lot of hours on. But we only finished the story mode together. He did not unlock a single thing on his own.

More recently I've bought W&W:PB... I myself can't bring myself to play the game cause the graphics are so not what I find attractive.

I have made a conscious effort to replace the word accessible with attractive and interesting.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Also bare in mind Americans grew up with Nintendo.

Nintendo may have dominated Japan and America in your youth but if you have read videogame history books SEGA established themselves in the rest of the world. I think the reason why grown ups play these Mario and Kirby type games is because they grew up with them. Just like I am always have some interest towards the next Sonic game.

Many people across the world simply did not grow up with these classic Nintendo franchises, so they have no nostalgia and unless you are a grown man or woman who is simply attracted to kiddie games, you probably have no reason to play them.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:An appropriate word would have been not interesting.
So you chose a word that was wrong but more interesting? :lol:
cube_b3 wrote:Also a grown up game doesn't need to have sex and violence. Realistic graphics simply go a long way. There is a massive demographic of gamers who simply want more realistic graphics. That is the basic expectation with every console. When Nintendo pushes out new consoles with these cartoony games as system sellers. It is unattractive, maybe not inaccessible.
This coming from a guy who practically worships a cartoon anthropomorphic hedgehog?
cube_b3 wrote:Also bare in mind Americans grew up with Nintendo.

Nintendo may have dominated Japan and America in your youth but if you have read videogame history books SEGA established themselves in the rest of the world. I think the reason why grown ups play these Mario and Kirby type games is because they grew up with them. Just like I am always have some interest towards the next Sonic game.
So what's your deal with Sonic then? You didn't care much for Sonic as a kid, so why are you into it now?
cube_b3 wrote:Many people across the world simply did not grow up with these classic Nintendo franchises, so they have no nostalgia and unless you are a grown man or woman who is simply attracted to kiddie games, you probably have no reason to play them.
Maybe because they're fun? :lol:
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Realistic graphics also tend to make a game look dated more quickly.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

cube_b3 wrote:Yes, inaccessible may not have been the right word in my subsequent posts. An appropriate word would have been not interesting.
:lol:
Last edited by Matisfaction on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

cube_b3 wrote:Also bare in mind Americans grew up with Nintendo.

Many people across the world simply did not grow up with these classic Nintendo franchises, so they have no nostalgia and unless you are a grown man or woman who is simply attracted to kiddie games, you probably have no reason to play them.
Like some other countries Australia was more Sega when it comes to the Master System/NES and Mega Drive/SNES. I didn't have a NES when I was growing up and only got one well into my 20s. The first Zelda game I ever played was Wind Waker. There's really no reason why anyone can't jump into any of the main Nintendo franchises at any point unless your sole reason is you're a graphics whore and everything has to look "realistic"
cube_b3 wrote:Many people across the world simply did not grow up with these classic Nintendo franchises, so they have no nostalgia and unless you are a grown man or woman who is simply attracted to kiddie games, you probably have no reason to play them.
Probably more of a case that Nintendo still releases video games that are enjoyable. The last time Sega consistently did that they were still making games for the Dreamcast.

You know why I play games? To have fun, to relax, to escape the real world. This could mean mowing down people with my car or guns in GTA, or it could be racing at 300-400Mph in ridiculous super cars, or even just sitting back, relaxing and playing some Mario. With Mario you know the gameplay will always be solid and it will be playable by anyone of any age. If your games all have to be realistic murder simulators and you can't just relax for an hour and play something that looks "childish", then that says more about you as a person than Nintendo and the games they make.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800