Non-ZIF NES Cartridge Slot Replacement

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Non-ZIF NES Cartridge Slot Replacement

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Interesting little project. It seems like it'd be a bit of a pain to pull the cartridge back out of the slot (you can't really get a good grip on the NES cartridge while it's in the slot the way you can with, say, a Genesis)... but if they can get around that issue, this seems like a very straightforward way to solve a long-standing problem.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been anything like this before.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... g-your-nes
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: Non-ZIF NES Cartridge Slot Replacement

Post by melancholy »

That is a great idea. I think I'm going to use some Christmas money to back this. I would love to have a working NES again.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Interesting idea, but I just permanently leave my Everdrive in the NES. It never has any issues loading.
It's thinking...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I like the idea of ZIF, the new cartridge connectors you can get are so stiff I worry about damaging the carts.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I bought one of these. But, the NES I tried to install it in has a stripped screw. Anyone have a thought on getting it out? Never done it, and the NES is plastic so I don't want to drill it.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I started making repro carts for the games that the Everdrive doesn't support properly (Gimmick!, Lagrange Point). So now I am kind of thinking of purchasing the Blinking Light Win now that I swap carts sometimes.

However, I am thinking of also doing a mod that would allow me to add a Famicom cartridge slot on the top of the NES (pretty much like this one) so that I could play Famicom games as well as connect up a Famicom Disk System. I'm also thinking about getting a Famicom Disk System and painting it with a gray color scheme to make it look like an NES peripheral. If this takes up too much space in the back of the NES then I won't be able to fit that mod in.

As for the stripped screw, sometimes I try to insert a flathead screwdriver that's slightly too large and then hammer it into the screw to hopefully make a notch that can be used to turn the screw. That's pretty odd though since the NES systems I've dealt with were all really easy to get apart.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

If you add a Famicom slot, you should also consider doing the audio expansion mod. That way, you'll be able to take full advantage of games like Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania 3) that had extra audio channels on Famicom.

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DaMadFiddler wrote:If you add a Famicom slot, you should also consider doing the audio expansion mod. That way, you'll be able to take full advantage of games like Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania 3) that had extra audio channels on Famicom.
Oh, I've already done the expansion mod a long time ago. Akumajou Densetsu is one of my favorite games. And if I wanted to get a Famicom Disk System I would have had to do it anyway because the FDS uses expansion audio. :P The two titles I mentioned above (Gimmick! and Lagrange Point) also use expansion audio which is why they aren't fully supported on the Everdrive.

You should look into Lagrange Point. It's a Japanese RPG by Konami set in space, that was the only game to use the VRC7 expansion audio chip (Akumajou Densetsu, for example, uses the VRC6) that was based off of the Yamaha YM2413, so it pretty much sounds like a Sega Genesis game, nothing like an NES game. It was never translated to English until last year, so I imported the Famicom version of it and replaced the maskROM with an English version EPROM.

I really need to write up a current list of every mod I've done on all of my consoles. I have spent a shitton of time and money researching the best models of each console, modifying them for best audio and video output, etc.
It's thinking...