So....Destiny

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

So....Destiny

Post by Nico0020 »

I like many, was super stoked about this game. It looked to be two of my favorite games together. The great shooting mechanics and AI of Bungie's Halo games, with the simple and longterm RPG elements of Phantasy Star Online.

I preordered the game, and played the Beta. After playing the game for awhile now and almost level 20, I have to say I agree with most the reviews of this game. All the complaints are 100% valid. Zero story, things obviously set up for DLC in the future, no matchmaking or ways to talk with random people outside of fireteams, same enemy spawns, bullet sponge bosses, random item drops, empty world with nothing to search out, ect. ect. ect. ect.

But even with all these shortcomings, I keep going back to play more and more and more. I didn't buy the season pass, as I want to see what DLC will be offered in the Future. I just opened up Mars and I know the game is about to come to a close. I'm not sure why I enjoy it exactly. Although it's a real pain the in the ass sometimes, as its only really fun when you play with your friends - which of course being 27 years old and living on the other side of the world from my gamer friends makes it hard to schedule these days.

Nevertheless I keep enjoying it a ton. When the game play is good, it's really good. I'm just not sure what happened between the game we were advertised and the game we got. This is no where near as bad as the Aliens disaster, but more akin to like the first Fable game I guess.

Anyone else here playing the game / enjoying it? Thoughts on WTF happened to this game?

And also, I need people to play with. I'm playing on 360 so if anyone wants to play please add me. Gamertag ONESTAR v2.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: So....Destiny

Post by JuddWack »

I agree with you, and the reviews 100%. I keep on going back to it. I was about 90% through Last of Us Remastered for the first time. I was totally engrossed in the story. It sparked really strong emotions in me unlike any other game. But then Destiny came out and it felt like a chore to pop in Last of Us and complete that final 10%. I keep coming back to Destiny even though it is not that great.

Destiny exemplifies that micro achievement game mechanic. Its like every 4 or 5 minutes my brain releases another tiny little bit of dopamine that keeps me coming back over and over again to get my next power-up.

I have the PS4 version btw. My gametag is Bendezium if anybody wants to play.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

My experience with Halo begins and ends with me beating the single player campaign of the original game and...that's it. I kept my eye on Destiny for a while but lost interest once I found out it was an online-only shooter. I've never been a huge FPS fan, so I need a good story to keep me coming back.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

I personally don't understand most of the expectations people had with Destiny. But then again, I'm not your normal gamer. I've played all the Halos, and even been to many H1 tournaments, even though I was never a big fan of it (did it mostly to join my bro and his buddies). I just liked the aspect of friends playing together.

IMO, it's very rare to have an fps with a deep enriching story. Something that ND seems to be masters at. I've always thought Halo's story felt a little generic but had cool elements. And many times playing the games, I found myself thinking it was just ok. And the biggest problem for me, is that because it's linear, there's no breaks or changes in what you felt like doing. I absolutely loved Mass Effect for that reason. The more RPG elements you add to an FPS, the more I'll probably like it. And Mass Effect's story was quite enjoyable. Destiny's story to me so far seems very similar to Halo, although probably shrouded in a bit more mystery. It's being told in smaller pieces at a time, but the game-play is on par if not better than Halo. And it's refreshing that some things can be done in different orders, or other mission can be tackled.

I truly believe there's a lot of hidden agendas in many of the reviews for Destiny, especially with paid reviewers. Many had their feathers ruffled when they were denied early access (something I think all publishers should start doing, considering that integrity in gaming journalism is dead), and there are (for some reason) many Halo fans that seem upset with Bungie, maybe because the best version is the PS4 version or because it's not exclusive to Xbox. Who knows. But I think what a lot of people fail to understand is that Destiny, while having probably more Halo DNA than Halo 4 did, is a shooter set in an MMO world. It's very well polished (something that many AAA games fail miserably at, yet seem to get passes for), and it's designed to have content added to it in the same fashion as other MMOs. I personally played Halo 4 once. In disbelief, I beat it in one 5-6hr sitting, and never touched it again. I simply couldn't do that with Destiny if I tried. Certainly not my first play-through.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I posted my thoughts over at BlueGuerilla, which were pretty much this:

It was definitely an over hyped game, that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong I did have some fun with it but my main criticism is:

- It feels like Halo but it definitely doesn't have the same strong story that Halo did.
- Story is very short.
- Very repetitive and grindy.
- Seeing a card come out of the case advertising the first 2 expansions on launch day really shits me. But this is the way gaming is going, so not Destiny specific.

I'd say that'd be my main problems with it. I'm not entirely sure I'm even having fun when playing it or am I just grinding to level up. This is always my problem with MMOs though.

Playing multiplayer and doing Strikes is probably better than just doing the missions/campaign, so I'll report back after that.

My other problem with it is even though the campaign has no requirement for you to be online, technically speaking, but you have to be online to play Destiny full stop. So if you have no Internet connection or the servers are down, too bad. I get it, it's an MMO. But there's no reason the single couldn't have had an offline option just for the campaign.

And my thoughts on Dinklage as being the main voice throughout the story: When the main voice in the game is boring and I'd rather not listen to him at all, you have a problem.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Nico wrote:I preordered the game, and played the Beta.
IMO people should stop pre-ordering games. There are only about 3 games that have ever been released where stock has run out making pre-ordering a neccesity. (FF7 being one)

Please watch this opinion piece by Jimquisition:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Prescrewed
DanteJay wrote:I personally don't understand most of the expectations people had with Destiny.

I dont know what comes on canadian TV, but there were a ton of high dollar commercial placements on american TV for the game. One of the most aggresive advertising campaigns for a video game ive even seen.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I'm still playing Destiny now, a lot more than I was before. Bungie is masking changes here and there to fix the sinking ship this game was at launch. It still doesn't address the core problems of story and RNG loot drops, but its getting better slowly in many different ways. Whatever happened in the last year of development of this game is a story I really want to read one day, but for now I'm trying to enjoy the game for what it is. Playing the game reminds me in a lot of ways of playing PSO, incredibly repetitive, but satisfying.
I dont know what comes on Canadian TV, but there were a ton of high dollar commercial placements on american TV for the game. One of the most aggressive advertising campaigns for a video game ive even seen.
THIS 100%. I was in the states over summer, and watched some TV (a lot of the simpsons marathon actually) and nearly every commercial break had a Destiny commercial. It was the most aggressive ad campaign I've ever seen. I literally gave into the hype those ads were making, it was quite strange indeed.
*The Cadillac of signatures*