What the fuck is Evo?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

What the fuck is Evo?

Post by cube_b3 »

The Evolution Championship Series is an annual esports event that focuses exclusively on fighting games. In fighting game communities it is commonly referred to as "EVO" or just "Evo". The tournament uses the double elimination format.[1] As with Super Battle Opera, the Evolution tournaments are well known and typically contestants will travel from all over the world to participate, most notably from Japan.

I copy pasted that from Wikipedia, I don't think Evo has been discussed in the forums but me and my younger brother talk about this quite often. He seems to be obsessed with this event, and I can't seem to give a rats ass about it. It would appear that Tekken 7 was revealed at this event which lead him to make the claim that this is the most significant fighting game and it is more popular than any other Arcade event.

I believe since the fighting game genre still flourishes in the Arcades this event is not a valid indicator of fighting games as it barely feature 5 games a year. He thinks of Evo as the most important event for fighting games where as I view it as just a eSports contest.

What do you guys think?