E3 Round-up

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

E3 Round-up

Post by DaMadFiddler »

So, the big console makers have all had their big E3 presentations now... and who "won" depends heavily on what kinds of games you prefer.

Nintendo's got the market cornered for family-accessible titles and local ("IRL") multiplayer games. Their presentation was easily the most fun, with colorful footage abundant and self-effacing Robot Chicken shorts sprinkled throughout.

Sony is absolutely flooded with independent and heavily stylized titles, perhaps most notably No Man's Sky.

And Microsoft is strongly supporting both genres of video games: Gun and Car. (But seriously, Sunset Overdrive looks awesome... which it should, since it's an Insomniac game.)

I'm still a bit disappointed that some of these titles aren't coming to the older console generation, as I'm really not quite ready to move on from the PS3 yet. (Had the PS4 been backwards compatible, I'd already own one... but that's a whole separate argument, and I seem to be in the minority in that opinion.)

As to my own personal interest:

Xbox is just aimed (and always has been) at a very different kind of gamer from me. Sunset Overdrive looks cool. But I don't think *any* Xbox system has had more than a handful of exclusives that particularly drew my interest; it seems somewhat hobbled in its messaging by the fact that the entire console was originally designed around a central concept that the public ultimately rejected, causing them to force a last-minute revision to make it more "conventional" in its approach to media. As a result, it basically feels like a slightly inferior PS4 (or a walled-garden PC) that's trying way too hard to appeal to all the late 90s/early 2000s stereotypes of what a gamer is. That's not my taste. But after last year's absolute debacle, the bar was set so low that any performance that seemed remotely competent would be heralded by the platform's supporters... sort of like the 2008 Vice-Presidential debate for Sarah Palin.

Sony ran kind of a neat promotion this year, where you could sign up to go to a (free) public screening of their E3 event, livestreamed at a movie theater. Eva and I attended the one in San Francisco... it ran a bit long, and there were a couple of momentary issues with the video feed, but overall it was a clever idea, and Sony did a really good job of driving home the idea of community outreach. We were impressed by the sheer number of upcoming titles Sony had to show, as well as the variety. There still isn't anything that made me feel compelled to get the system, but there are definitely several titles each of us would buy if we DID have one. I'd say the needle on the PS4 moved from "not interested" to "okay, you've got my attention." It's a shame more of those small indie titles aren't coming to PS3.

Nintendo's announcements weren't particularly surprising, but everything they showed off just looked like fun to play. It's almost all entries in staple franchises, so if you're sick of Mario and Zelda and Yoshi and the rest of the gang, you probably won't have too much to draw your attention here... especially given the long wait times for many of these titles. And it's clear that they're starving for third-party support. But Nintendo rarely disappoints with its first-party games, so--much like the Microsoft show--your opinion will likely vary heavily based on how much you like Nintendo games. Regardless of all else, Smash Bros. is still going to be epic.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: E3 Round-up

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'm still a bit lacking in enthusiasm for this console generation as a whole. This E3 hasn't fully managed to turn that around, but at least there are some games on the horizon that look interesting. I miss being really excited about what's coming up, though... but maybe that's a result of coming off of two REALLY STRONG console generations in a row.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I'm looking forward to the Nintendo stuff, but I agree. It's taking way too long, and they desperately need 3rd party support for the console to survive in the long term.

As for me, the Wii U won't be a waste of money even if I never buy a non-1st party title ever. But I don't expect all people to feel that way for sure.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

This is a year old, but it still makes me feel like a little kid:

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I really hope Mega Man ends up handling just like he does in the classic series. I'm a badass at Mega Man now :D
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I enjoyed this E3 actually, there was plenty to be excited about I thought. Particularly Nintendo's approach with the pre-recorded stuff and the treehouse shows. I would be very surprised if more companies didn't do something similar next year.

Big stuff for me:
The new Zelda, Batman, Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4, Inside (by the guys that made Limbo) and Grim Fandango HD

Coolest looking game of the show? Cuphead:

Horizon 2014 was a great watch too if you're interested in the indie scene:
http://www.twitch.tv/venuspatrol