Wrestling/Fighting Games?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Wrestling/Fighting Games?

Post by cube_b3 »

Is it just me or they seem kinda crappy these days.

I saw the adds for WWE 2K14, they got Ultimate Warrior to promote it, that was probably his first internationally aired wrestling promotion in 25 years.

But the game it looked crap, I haven't played it I am only talking about the graphics.

Same with the UFC games, they are fun to play but the graphics are pretty bad for their price tag.

SEGA Arcade games are no longer considered retail worthy at best they become budget downloadable titles (If they make it to consoles) but these gaes some how are still popular, yet they offer very little. The UFC game primarily takes place in a single Arena and in total the game designers had to make approximately 30 character models. Games like Last of Us had to make Hundreds oh characters and in addition to that they had hundreds of different locations to animate.

While on the subject the same thing bothers me about Street Fighter, back in the day Street Fighter games had a ton of content. Each character had his own stage, and everything was hand drawn sprite based. I don't know intricacies of game design but I know that was a ton of work. It is comparatively easier to make characters. In fact games like WWE or Virtua Fighter have extensive character modification and create a player modes.

Yet, Capcom forces people to buy alternate costumes.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wrestling/Fighting Games?

Post by Skynet »

The WWE games of recent years have been OK, but they're pretty much the same release every year. Honestly you could probably grab something like WWE 12 or 13 for cheap and be fine with that.

The sad truth is the last truly great wrestling game was WWF No Mercy. I'll still play it to this day but it has not aged well at all. However if you emulate it, you can get better textures, updated rosters and running it at 1080p is much better than the default resolution it plays at.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I always wondered why none of the major developers tried a subscription-based sports game. Sure, every once in a while, there are really significant engine improvements and/or new features added on... but by and large, there are just small UI and AI tweaks, and the bulk of the changes amounts to roster/logo/stadium/etc. updates. Seems perfect for a subscription model.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Just pick up an N64 and get all the AKI games, the Virtual Pro series still can't be beaten IMO, you can also get Fire Pro Returns on PSN.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

No disrespect but going back to the 5th Generation is stupid.

I think every 3 years we would get a game that was an extreme improvement over it's predecessor.

Even on Playstation you can't compare War Zone to Smack Down 2.

On Playstation 2 SmackDown 3 can't be compared with Raw Vs Smack Down.

Things were improving on every level, graphics, content and gameplay.

While Yuke's has tried innovation and some fun changes on PS3/360. I do not find that any game is pushing the limits of the hardware or even utilizing it. I think these games could run on PS2 with little compromise.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

So you start a thread about wrestling/fighting games. You get a couple replies saying there's been nothing great outside of the AKI games and what mat mentioned and then you say that's stupid? What more do you want? Wrestling games these days are shit. I was a huge wrestling fan as a kid. I still watch the odd PPV here and there and I still keep up with the games. Yes the Smackdown vs Raw games had some good stuff in them. WWE 12, 13 and 14 aren't terrible games but ultimately if you want a really good wrestling game it's No Mercy/WM 2000/Virtual Pro on the N64 and Fire Pro Returns. Don't blame us those were the best wrestling games we have.

Also your comparison to War Zone and Smackdown is a flawed comparison anyway. 2 completely different games made by different companies that play completely differently. Fact is War Zone and Attitude were not the best wrestling games on their generation. Yes they were wrestling games that were out on the same console as Smackdown 1 and 2, but they're not even in the same league as each other. In that respect, War Zone was not the predecessor to any Smackdown game.

You want something more current then? Day of Reckoning 2 on the GC. Hell you can even play it on the Wii, so if you want to talk about generations you can play it on last generation hardware.

cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Hey, I said no disrespect.

My original reply was a little longer and I acknowledged DOR2 as the best Wrestling Game on the 6th Gen.

My query as far as Wrestling is concerned is why are they making games that appear low budget? WWE is involved in the development it isn't like other sports games where each character has to got royalties for his likeness. As far as I know THQ and now 2K's deal is purely with WWE.

Other Sports Games low budget quality is attributed to most of the development budget goes towards securing player licences. I read up on Sega Sports fall and basically it just wasn't a worthwhile investment.

Beyond Wrestling, games like Street Fighter are just plain lazy in terms of content.
Yes the animators work hard on the characters and the programmers on the gameplay.
But it is the backgrounds that flesh out the game, growing up I couldn't tell the difference between the Street Fighter updates but I was glad that every update replaced the character stages. It made the game same new all over again.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

cube_b3 wrote:No disrespect but going back to the 5th Generation is stupid.
No disrespect but that's a fairly moronic statement, games like VPW2, AJPW King's Soul and the Fire Pro Series have been far more innovative than pretty much every WWF/WWE game released in the last decade, you can't just dismiss the validity of a game based on the fact that it was released on an older platform, especially as the AKI titles are still regarded as some of the best wrestling games to this day.

Not only do you compare Smackdown 2 to the first entry in the Acclaim WWF series (Warzone had a sequel called attitude) you also refer to it as some kind of measuring stick. The Smackdown games for the PSX were widely regarded as a "poor man's WM 2000" due to it's shallow gameplay, it's only redeeming feature was the wide array of options and "gimmick matches" available. In fact that's been a general criticism of the Smackdown series since it's inception.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I see, what you did there.

I never owned an N64, so I can't comment on it. I apologize for discrediting it, that said, the heart of this thread was graphics and on disc content.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

cube_b3 wrote:I see, what you did there.

I never owned an N64, so I can't comment on it. I apologize for discrediting it, that said, the heart of this thread was graphics and on disc content.
That's the problem with wrestling games of late, they look nice but they don't play like No Mercy. They're not as fun as No Mercy. They have heaps of wrestlers. They have a fair amount match types but ultimately they're not as well put together as WM 2000/No Mercy. Don't get me wrong, No Mercy and WM2000 look terrible and Titantrons are awful, it's the actual gameplay mechanics that have never been beaten.

AKI had the best mainstream wrestling games. The reason I say mainstream is because I wouldn't call Fire Pro mainstream but from what I've played of them, they seem like decent games.

cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Exactly, what about this says good graphics?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Actually the last couple years the graphics seems to have gotten worse. A few years back the wrestlers looked better.

Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

The problem is that gaming has changed a lot over the last decade. Modern gaming is centred around franchises, games like COD and FIFA/Madden are basically keeping the gaming industry ticking over, 2K are rolling out the annual roster updates because A: They are the only thing that's on the menu and B: They hold an exclusive WWE license/franchise.

The "EA method" keeps development costs down and profits up.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

To me, wwe all stars is one of my favorites.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

if you are willing to mod the ps2. king of the colosseum 1 or 2 for the ps2 is awesome. if you like no mercy or wrestlemania 2000 this is a major step up from those. its made from spike the same people who made fire pro wrestling. these are the only 2 3d wrestling agmes they have ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlGmpMC2ros
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

The King of Colosseum games are very good. There were also some good wrestling games on Dreamcast, Giant Gram 2000 was great, Super Fire Pro and Royal Rumble (I enjoyed it) to name a few.