Sonic Boom Announced!

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sonic Boom Announced!

Post by DaMadFiddler »

cube_b3 wrote:I am sure this question is something we have discussed many times but what is wrong with Generations?

I think it is a perfect bridge between the old and the new games.

I would take Generations over Colors anyday, I may even prefer Unleashed over Colors. But I probably wouldn't.
Eh. Wasn't terrible, just wasn't anything special. It was all rehashes of previous content, and it basically played like an inferior version of colors. The overworld map and retro/modern switching were a bit clunky and distracted from the gameplay, and the last couple of bosses felt somewhat broken, reminiscent of the broken boss designs in SA and Sonic Heroes. Plus, it was incredibly short. (I originally assumed this was because they'd be releasing more levels as DLC, but apparently not.)

Colors has very similar gameplay, but is a much better (and more cohesive) game overall.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Valid points, though Generations taught me to appreciate the side scrolling games.

As we have discussed I was quite a 3D Sonic fan boy and I still feel the game can play better with the camera behind Sonic rather than side scrolling but I can see why people love the old games so much.

I don't know why you find the game short, yes I would love DLC but I still haven't managed to get an S in every mission so I got a ton of replay value left.

After I was done with SG I went back to S1. I finally beat the game the old fashion way from start to finish and I can understand why people like it so much and how much challenge the absence of a spin dash can add.

Currently (which means like 4 months ago), I am playing Sonic 2 still trying to beat it from start to finish. I also went back to Generations and I realize why fans of the original hate it, while the physics maybe better than S4, they are no where near the original trilogy. It is almost impossible to get Sonic to roll in Generations.

As for Colors I never liked it, it was obviously better than Unleashed but the Wii. I felt very weird playing the game. It made me feel old, I hated the plot and after a decade or arguing I understood why the older Sonic fans wanted Sonic to shut the fuck up and go mute again.

I also didn't like the Mario World style map, not that Unleashed, Generation, Colors or even fucking Lost World have produced an Adventure field that is good, the new games in general feel regressive and either inspired by Mario or Crash Bandicoot. I am sure I have already listed the comparisons in the past.

I still think Generations is prime for DLC. I would pay for more.

I've not played S4E2, I hope S4E3 is good.

They can fix the physics and release all 3 episodes on a disc, i'd buy it.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Matisfaction »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Matisfaction wrote:I'm actually looking forward to this, haven't really enjoyed a Sonic game since the days of the Megadrive. (Lost World actually looks interesting now due to the new DLC)
Colors was pretty good, as were the first two GBA titles. I wouldn't really recommend anything else post-Genesis, though; even the Adventure games have not aged well at all.
A: The Sonic games were rather shallow to begin with (Don't get me wrong, I like Sonic but let's not lie to ourselves here)
B: Sonic should never speak
C: 3D + Sonic, has hardly been a winning formula over the years.

Hopefully Sonic Boom offers something different from previous entries.