Where to find Afterburner kit for GBA?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where to find Afterburner kit for GBA?

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Hey, folks. Long time no see.

Eva picked up a copy of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles not too long ago (she's never played it), and we'd kind of like to go through it together, but we didn't have GBAs. We both had GBAs several years ago--before we'd even met--and both sold them to get DSes.

There is a thrift store in town that has a stock of original GBA models dirt-cheap, but of course these units are not backlit. I find the original to be much more comfortable to hold, so my ideal solution would be to get two of these and install Afterburner front-lighting kits... but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I've found plenty of sites selling backlighting kits for the original Game Boy / GBC, and I've found some old-stock Halo kits (a far-inferior alternative to the Afterburner which was carried by several game stores), but nobody seems to sell anything like the Afterburner, and systems that have a kit already installed very rarely seem to pop up for sale.

Is there anywhere left that sells this stuff?
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Re: Where to find Afterburner kit for GBA?

Post by arrowhead »

There is almost no chance you will find one of these. I got one on ebay years and years ago and it seemed there was one guy selling them and he had only 3 left. I have never seen one again anywhere. I think you will have to be relegated to using the halo.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

arrowhead wrote:There is almost no chance you will find one of these. I got one on ebay years and years ago and it seemed there was one guy selling them and he had only 3 left. I have never seen one again anywhere. I think you will have to be relegated to using the halo.
Ended up getting a Halo. It's better than no light, but it really sucks compared to the Afterburner. I love the original GBA's form factor (and the fact that it runs on AAs), but the lack of a lit screen is a real killer. Beginning to wish I'd never sold my old one... but I was pretty poor at the time, and it was the only way I could afford the (then-new) DS.

We still need to get a second GBA. Not sure whether to get a second original GBA, or an SP. It's eyestrain vs. hand cramps. (Seriously: the GBA is possibly the most comfortable-to-hold of all Nintendo's handhelds. The SP is cramp central).
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

IIRC, you can take the screen light out of a first gen gba sp and use that to light up a regular gba. The results are pretty good from what I've seen.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I liked the GBASP. I'd go with that personally.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I've come across Zerotype's solution before, and it may be what I end up doing. Kid of sad to sacrifice an SP just to make a GBA better, though; maybe I can find a broken one to use.

Darc, it seems to make the most sense to just get an SP, but that thing gives me serious hand cramps. The narrow width combined with the squared-off shape feel awful. That's also my main problem with the DS; I love that system, but there are certain games I just can't play because of the ergonomics (such as Metroid Prime: Hunters).
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Get in on the 32X instead, it's an arcade perfect port.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Calavera wrote:Get in on the 32X instead, it's an arcade perfect port.