Analog x Digital controls

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Analog x Digital controls

Post by mankrip »

I have come to a conclusion: I don't really like games with analog controls.

I mean, I may still enjoy them to some degree, but they'll never be my favorites. Case in point, FPSs. I'm still getting my ass handled by Clanlord in UT2K4, and haven't been able to finish the game due to that. I also get beaten like crap in any online FPS, I was never really good in any racing game and I've never seen much point in flight simulators.

I still like 3D platformers such as Mario 64 and Banjo & Kazooie, but they aren't really difficult.

On the other hand, I love digital-controlled games. I've always been a fan of the Megaman series, I used to speedrun 100% of Super Mario World getting all of the special items such as the 3-life moons on the actual console, I've beaten Contra, Super C and Contra III to death, and I don't consider myself a pro but I can beat almost every one of my friends in games like Street Fighter Alpha 3, Mortal Kombat II and a couple KOFs, and I also used to be rather good in Killer Instinct and KIG.

Maybe that's why I can't get too much into gaming nowadays. I have more fun with a difficult game feturing digital gameplay than with a difficult game featuring analog gameplay.

On the other hand, I really enjoy easy games with analog gameplay, such as Mario Kart 64.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Re: Analog x Digital controls

Post by Juan »

I didn't quite get what you mean here without instantly thinking 2D vs 3D or retro vs modern. So correct me if I'm wrong, but I take you mean "analog controls" as those where you don't have fixed directions (well, fixed to a lesser degree) as opposed to 8 way controls?

Somehow I always felt more in control of the latter, noticing more scripted actions on "open" games to compensate for said freedom, but it's just a feeling I get occasionally and I haven't really given it much thought.

Anyway, maybe not so related, but you got me thinking: is it posible to execute different key combinations depending on the input pressure of an analog stick on, say, an emulator? Take the likes of Mario and add analog walking/running, to name the simplest and silliest example.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

Mario is a good example. On games prior to Mario 64 we could either walk, or hold the B button to run. We could memorize how fast we'd go when we were running, and how slow we'd go when walking, and quickly develop an strategy upon that.

In Mario 64 there's no button for running, and we have to keep constantly measuring how fast Mario moves in relation to how much we're tilting the analog stick. This way we can never accurately define in advance how our actions will be and mindlessly press the controls for executing them, because we have to keep constantly watching for how the game will react to our controls.

In the end, this makes practice become more important than strategy. For example, in most FPSs it doesn't matter which weapon you're using, or which items or power-ups you've got, as long as you deal damage faster than the enemy. And to achieve that, all you have to do is to aim significantly better than the enemy. So, a newcomer's strategy will never be able to surpass a veteran's skills alone.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I developed a great knack for older Mario games. But even the newer, 2D platformers feature 3D models, which aren't as always as clear-cut as their 2D sprite counterparts. In Mario 3/World, I've become an expert but it can be hard to translate those skills to newer games.