So what are you playing this winter?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: So what are you playing this winter?

Post by Eckostyle »

KOF XIII(Done with SF4.)
MW3 (None of my friends are into BF3 :()
SW:TOR(WoW-killer, the beta is awesome!)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Biggest lesson learned from Mario 3D Land:

"Fuck you, Shadow Mario."
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Wrapped up the main quest of Skyrim and some other stuff I really wanted to do with 51 hours clocked, still feel like I've only just scratched the surface but I'm a bit burnt out for now and taking a break for Saints Row 3. Finish that up by the end of next week, move onto AC: Revelations which probably won't take long, then back to Skyrim, then Zelda for Christmas.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I just finished up Layton tonight, but I'm not going to have the money for Mario for a while and I haven't even touched the London Life part of Layton, so I might try that. Either that, or I might just play an older game for a while, because I have to have some handheld game to play before bed every night.

As for console, I'm only about 14 hours into Zelda, so I imagine that game will last me well into the new year. Honestly, at this point I might not even get around to playing Skyrim.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

melancholy wrote:I just finished up Layton tonight, but I'm not going to have the money for Mario for a while and I haven't even touched the London Life part of Layton, so I might try that. Either that, or I might just play an older game for a while, because I have to have some handheld game to play before bed every night.

As for console, I'm only about 14 hours into Zelda, so I imagine that game will last me well into the new year. Honestly, at this point I might not even get around to playing Skyrim.
That's odd. I always wondered how you had the money to buy so many games and the time to play them - you seemed like a gaming machine to me. Have things changed?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Specially Cork wrote:
melancholy wrote:I just finished up Layton tonight, but I'm not going to have the money for Mario for a while and I haven't even touched the London Life part of Layton, so I might try that. Either that, or I might just play an older game for a while, because I have to have some handheld game to play before bed every night.

That's odd. I always wondered how you had the money to buy so many games and the time to play them - you seemed like a gaming machine to me. Have things changed?
We put our son in daycare about 5 months ago. Daycare costs more than our mortgage payment alone. So yeah, we went from having extra money every month to living off our paychecks. It's definitely good for the kid and me and my wife see each other a ton more now, but the cost has downgraded our lifestyle somewhat.

As for time, that hasn't change. I never had much time before to play games, I just used to buy tons of games I ultimately never played because I would find them cheap. So the illusion I was playing tons of games was because I was just wasting my money building that gigantic backlog, something that I've almost completely stopped (Steam sales sometimes still get me).
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Ah, the backlog... I had a fairly hefty one by the beginning of this year, but the financial toll of the move (followed by the strain of my new job not working out, and having to do temp work) has given me the "opportunity" to work through that backlog. I've only got one or two games left that I haven't touched, and a few more that I got about halfway through before getting distracted by other things. With the exception of a few stand-out titles (i.e. Zelda), those are the games I'll be playing until our financial position is a little stronger. I do have a significant list of games that I *want* to get, however... between the backlog and the scarcity of funds, I haven't bought much of anything that's come out in the last year.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:hunting down in-game books to catch up on what's happened since Oblivion
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/26/all-o ... g-pleasur/
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Whoa. Very nice. Thanks, Fiddler.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Sonic Generations - working on the challenges
Alice - Haven't picked this up yet, but I plan to soon.
RAGE
Sonic CD XBLA
Fusion Genesis - Picked this up when it came out on XBLA, but then school was kicking my ass so had to stop. Enjoyed it so far though.
Beyond Good and Evil XBLA
Portal 2

From my eternal backlog:
Mirrors Edge - already most the way through
Mass Effect - gonna finally try to jump into this game, only done like 2 hours so far.
Persona 3 - Takes a lot for me to play an RPG, I really liked this one, but I never have the time or motivation to play them in long stretches.

I've also just finished Sonic Advance for the GBA, and started playing Sonic Advance 2, which tries too hard to be like Sonic Adventure 2 and so far seems to be crap in comparison to the first one.
Sonic Advance 2 sucked, but the third game is probably the best mix for the GBA series. The two character mix is awesome, especially if you have a friend to play with via link cable. The special stages in 3 are a bitch to get, but the whole game is just surperb for a handheld.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Nico0020 wrote:
I've also just finished Sonic Advance for the GBA, and started playing Sonic Advance 2, which tries too hard to be like Sonic Adventure 2 and so far seems to be crap in comparison to the first one.
Sonic Advance 2 sucked, but the third game is probably the best mix for the GBA series. The two character mix is awesome, especially if you have a friend to play with via link cable. The special stages in 3 are a bitch to get, but the whole game is just surperb for a handheld.
Really? I liked 1, I liked 2 (although there are a couple levels that suffer from Sudden Pit Syndrome, though not as badly as the Sonic Rush games), and I felt 3 was just a clunky attempt at recreating Knuckles Chaotix. I guess my biggest problem with it is that the level design was weird--it was just a huge sprawl of loops and gimmicks that didn't even try to make any sense; it never felt like you were actually "going" anywhere, just wandering around an endless, pointless maze. I did like Sonic Advance 2, though, when it wasn't throwing you off cliffs :lol: It was fast, it had mostly-good level design, I thought the "chase" boss fights were an interesting (and very Sonic-appropriate) idea, and it had quite a bit of visual flair with all sorts of fun little design and technical tricks.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I finished Assassin's Creed Revelations in about 3 days and watched Embers. A lovely end for one of this generation's defining video game characters. Not many revelations at all though, more like confirmations. Still, it was a solid enough game and I'm looking forward to the 2012 installment.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I'm still working my way through Zelda. 50 hours in and roughly 70% done with the story. This is by far the longest Zelda I've ever played. I thought I'd have it knocked out in 40 or so hours, but the game is nearly double that in size.

As for handhelds, I decided to finally start playing Last Window, the European sequel to Hotel Dusk. I've about got it knocked out, then I think I might start one of my free 3DS Ambassador games.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I'm absolutely in love with Skyward Sword. I've enjoyed every Zelda game I've played...apart from TP which I've decided I loathe (several wii/gcn playthroughs attempted, never come close to beating it). I sacked off SS thinking it would be more of the same, believing handheld Link would be my only remaining hope.

Never been happier to be wrong. This is everything I want from a Zelda game and more. The setting, the art design, the music, the characters, the plot, the controls, the dungeons, the overworld - it's all there and it's all brilliant. All my issues with TP completely fixed. Even the slow start passed me by. I clocked 4 hours before the first temple and didn't notice until I booted my save game up.

I know this game has divided up the critics but I'm well on the 10/10 masterpiece side. Could very well be my game of the year (even though I'm sure I won't beat it until next year).
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game ever. Not only that, but Ocarina and Wind Waker are officially obsolete now that I've played Zelda with true motion control. I have no idea if I can go back to button sword fighting. It's not perfect, and it sometimes stumbles in the heat of things, but I wouldn't trade it for traditional controls now that I've experienced it.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

The Old Republic is fucking awesome.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Eva bought her 3DS before the price drop, so we're part of the "ambassador" program. The free NES titles were kind of a letdown (a mix of early hits everyone already has in some form--Mario, Zelda, Metroid--and other early, simple games nobody cares about). However, the GBA games were a nice selection of AAA first-party titles. Not necessarily the BEST GBA games, but every one of them certainly worth owning.

I've been playing through MarioKart: Super Circuit (don't know what happened to my physical copy, but it disappeared quite some time ago), Mario vs. Donkey Kong (still, but I still like the original GameBoy one better), and WarioWare. Tried Fire Emblem, but tactics games just aren't my thing.

This works well, because Eva's still hooked on Skyrim, so the TV isn't really "available" for gaming very much. However, we do have a smaller TV in the bedroom where the cartridge-based consoles are hooked up, and I have been slowly working at Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril for NES.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles - wow.

I was expecting another meh JRPG, but it's something much better. Think the open world of Final Fantasy XII with a better battle system, story and characters and you're pretty much there. They even fixed up some old JRPG tropes along the way - save-points replaced with anywhere saving and fast-travel being the two obvious ones. I know many of you would have to import this, but try and get it if you can.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Got the new Zelda for Christmas, so I've been playing that this week. Pretty good so far; I just wish the motion controls were a little more accurate. The main complaint is that a lot of the swordplay requires feinting, and most of the time repositioning the sword is read as an attack when it's not supposed to be.

We also got LA Noire, God of War 3, Red Dead Redemption, and El Shaddai.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Red Dead Redemption
For 360? If so, the Undead Nightmare Collection (Undead Nightmare plus all multiplayer map packs) is on sale today only for 800 points. Undead Nightmare by itself is on sale for 400.