So what are you playing this winter?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: So what are you playing this winter?

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Luriden wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:Red Dead Redemption
For 360? If so, the Undead Nightmare Collection (Undead Nightmare plus all multiplayer map packs) is on sale today only for 800 points. Undead Nightmare by itself is on sale for 400.
PS3. We don't have a 360.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Finally beat Zelda Monday night and started Assassin's Creed last night. And with only about 2 hours logged, I can already tell this is going to be a weaker game than the last two. The city is less appealing than Rome and the whole tower defense minigame is shit.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

melancholy wrote:Finally beat Zelda Monday night and started Assassin's Creed last night. And with only about 2 hours logged, I can already tell this is going to be a weaker game than the last two. The city is less appealing than Rome and the whole tower defense minigame is shit.
It really stagnated didn't it? At least we now know it only takes 24 months for an annual development cycle to turn a great game into something average. Tower Defence was crap - made worse by it being more difficult than losing and retaking the tower, the city was crap (especially with the ferry), and there was no story to really speak of.

I never even used the bombs. Seemed like quite a complex system they'd setup but I couldn't figure out where they fit in between the completely overpowered one-hit-kill crossbow, gun, throwing knives and assassin's calls.

I'm looking forward to a change in setting for the next game, but apparently it's a 2012 release so I'm not filled with confidence.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Specially Cork wrote:
melancholy wrote:Finally beat Zelda Monday night and started Assassin's Creed last night. And with only about 2 hours logged, I can already tell this is going to be a weaker game than the last two. The city is less appealing than Rome and the whole tower defense minigame is shit.
It really stagnated didn't it? At least we now know it only takes 24 months for an annual development cycle to turn a great game into something average. Tower Defence was crap - made worse by it being more difficult than losing and retaking the tower, the city was crap (especially with the ferry), and there was no story to really speak of.

I never even used the bombs. Seemed like quite a complex system they'd setup but I couldn't figure out where they fit in between the completely overpowered one-hit-kill crossbow, gun, throwing knives and assassin's calls.

I'm looking forward to a change in setting for the next game, but apparently it's a 2012 release so I'm not filled with confidence.
I think the biggest problem I have is that they've turned Ezio into such a complex character that they overly complicated the entire system. By keeping the same character for 3 games, they felt required to keep all gameplay elements they introduced in previous games, and that really bogged down the system. You now have two weapon wheels, of which you really use only 4 of the 16 options available. The various actions you've learned over the course of the series have ballooned so much that they had to combined several actions onto single buttons, which makes for a complcated system in the heat of a chase or battle (why the hell are 'air assassinate' and 'parachute' the same button!?). And while I like the idea of the hookblade, it's execution seems more temperamental than Ezio's other running actions, as if the game has trouble figuring out when to use normal grab actions and when to use hookblade actions.

And let's not forget Desmond's section, which is annoyingly bizarre. I enjoyed the whole reality versus simulation thing of the previous games, but making the entire game simulation, and then spliting half of the simulation into first-person sections is just too disjointed. Granted I've only unlocked the first memory, but I'm pretty confident the other memories are going to play even worse.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lartrak »

I finally beat Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Pretty enjoyable, though I don't like the ending system or the execution. It's worth playing through and owning, especially now that it's already like half off.

I just bought Saint's Row Double Pack. Going to beat the first game, then do the campaign of 2 co-op with the girlfriend. I also have a ton of crap backlogged, including games I've bought and never even played - top of that list right now includes Shadow of the Colossus and No More Heroes 2.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Burning out on Skyward Sword. I absolutely loathe getting close to the end of game then suddenly having everything veer off in a pointless hour-adding diversion. Just finished the 6th dungeon and my filler-sense started tingling. A quick flick through the internet confirms my worst fears....it's a big one. This isn't even a spoiler because it's not plot. Bah. :x