Nintendo Switch

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by pixel »

Cough ... I think we all know this game was the pinnacle of motion controls:

cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

What I like best about motion controls is that it resuscitates the entire genre of rail gun shooters. While I am not all that big on HOTD Overkill. I did enjoy all the rail gun ports of Sega classics. As well as the 2 Resident Evil rail shooters.

With Light Guns phased out by LCD TV's motion controls are the only decent way to play those games. Soully will point out the Genre was dead before the Dreamcast came out according to official Dreamcast magazine. Even though Sega continued to make more of those games for another generation.

3rd Person Shooters, FPS, and Rail shooters, basically all aim and shoot sub genre games benefit greatly from that accessory. Let's not marginalize the Wii to a handful of games. I bet a port of Rez would've been nice for Wii as well.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yes that technology needs to be improved.
The bar below or above the TV was annoying. The PS Move Camera was more annoying than the bar.
But I enjoyed what it can do.

Marginalizing the good games to 1% is pure madness.

Light Gun Shooters, 3rd Person Shooters, FPS basically any game that required aiming and shooting greatly benefitted from it.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Also forcing every game to work exclusively with Wiimote was piss poor quality control for Nintendo.

It was upto the developer to support either/or classic controller and Gamecube controller. It was basically good will from them if they opted to support the Gamecube controller as well instead of forcing you to buy the stupid classic controller.

Nintendo fucked us with that. A more responsible company would have ensured ports had support for both GC and Classic controller.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3 wrote:Yes that technology needs to be improved.
The bar below or above the TV was annoying. The PS Move Camera was more annoying than the bar.
But I enjoyed what it can do.

Marginalizing the good games to 1% is pure madness.

Light Gun Shooters, 3rd Person Shooters, FPS basically any game that required aiming and shooting greatly benefitted from it.
So you think the millions of people playing Uncharted or Call of Duty or Gears or whatever on standard controllers were missing out? Because if given the choice I'd choose the standard control version every time. There's a reason it didn't catch on and the whole thing flopped.

If waving your controller around like a real gun was the optimal way to play then everyone would be doing it by now.

It's fine that you enjoyed your time with the Wiimote, but surely you can look at big picture and see that motion controls are dead because nobody else likes them?
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Nintendo has made weird choices.

N64 had hardware that easily outperformed PS1, but cartridge storage was so small.
Gamecube had hardware that easily outperformed PS2, but disc storage was so small.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

Specially Cork wrote:So you think the millions of people playing Uncharted or Call of Duty or Gears or whatever on standard controllers were missing out? [...] There's a reason it didn't catch on and the whole thing flopped.

On any aim-driven game where the Wii version was graphically on par (Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, etc.) the Wii version was always highly praised by the public, exactly because of the motion controls.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Thanks, Mankrip.
I wasn't sure where your post was going with the graphic comparison videos.

@ Boney: Like I said in my follow up post. Quality Control we need the option. Nintendo forced it down everyone's throat. Besides RE5 how many FPS games utilized Move.

Light Guns have been around since the inception of video games, they were not phased out because it was an over priced gimmick. Technology made their setup tedious. You couldn't simply plug in and play anymore. We are lazy people. We also don't want to permanently attach weird accessories to our TV's. I think the technology needs to be revolutionized into simple plug and play, no tedious set up or calibration.

I experienced a weird error with the Tiger Woods Golf demo that came with Move. The fucking motion controller wasn't recognizing my swings. But it was working fine with other games on the demo disc... It was bizarre I knew Golf would exponentially be more fun on Move. We all agreed that Wii Sports was fun. So replacing the antiquated Wii controller with the move should have made things a hella lotta more fun. But it wouldn't work.

I purchased Resident Evil 5 again for PS3 so that I could play it with Move.
Unfortunately I never got around to setting up the Move. I don't even know where it is....

Motion Controls will make a return when we have the technology that is not overpriced and doesn't require attaching a device to the TV or tedious calibrations.

Nintendo is just doing their usual cost cutting. It's cool. Sega did it with the Saturn and Dreamcast and those systems didn't even have crazy accessory support.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I pre-ordered one but my enthusiasm has definitely dropped a little.

I really thought they'd sell it as a handheld first and console second but they've not done that at all. This is a home console first and foremost and apparently the battery life for on-the-go is pretty rubbish. I just don't know where Nintendo's place is in that market and where all the software is going to come from long-term.

And the price...wow. I don't know about the US but it's £50-£80 more expensive than a PS4 or XBone, and you know both of those will see price drops by Christmas. I think that's going to be a tough sell.

Also I was really hoping for a Mario 128 launch title. Instead I'll have to wait until Christmas for a Mario game and it's...an open world sandbox? Ehhhhhh.

Zelda looks amazing though.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Image
That was my first thought too. It's definitely a weird one. Feels like you're watching Lord of the Rings then Frodo turns a corner and suddenly they're in Manhattan. Also...shouldn't all the other people have the same proportions as Mario? :? I guess not necessarily but...just looks odd to me.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Disappointing to be honest.

32GB in 2017, when I'm downloading 10gb PS4 patches regulatly. Poor battery life. No Mario at launch. Expensive pro controller. Their equivalent of PS Plus allows you to rent one NES or SNES game a month (Jesus Christ). £80 more expensive than the significantly more powerful PS4. Unconvincing third party support (surprise!). Kickstand looks flimsy. The joy-con controllers look a bit... gimmicky (a single control method with no variations would have been much better), That 1-2 Switch game should never have been shown.

That said, Mario looks good. Zelda looks good. The handheld/console hybrid idea I'm still utterly there with. I'm not going to preorder now, but will probably pick it up at some point.

Nintendo gonna Nintendo.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I pre-ordered three to sell on eBay because I'm a good person. If I ever get around to playing the new Zelda, it'll just be on my Wii U.

But then again I could just be very bored on the day the first one arrives.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Nintendo games are always going to be great, but it's just crickets from third-party developers. I admit at this mid-generation point there's no point in a Nintendo console doing what my PS4 already does, but £280 for the right to play 4-5 years of sparsely released Nintendo games just doesn't seem like a good deal.

I can wait. The price of the Wii U has been stubborn but it'll fall some point soon, then I'll pick one up with the handful of games I've missed. Switch will just be the same. There's so much decent stuff coming out all the time these days that I'm not going to be digging deep just to get some Mario action.

it's early days, but I don't see how they're going to dig themselves out of this rut they're in. Lower the price and make a new Pokemon?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Image

I bet it's just a level with an inter-dimensional theme.

If it isn't, it's just fucking weird.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Who decided on New Donk City?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Eviltaco64X wrote:Who decided on New Donk City?
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Specially Cork wrote:The price of the Wii U has been stubborn but it'll fall some point soon, then I'll pick one up with the handful of games
There's a lot of classy software on the Wii U that most people missed out on, there's a reason why some of it is already being ported to the Switch.

melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Considering my Wii U was pretty much the most played console in my house, the Switch is going to eventually be awesome. But right now I barely play it since the only game I have is I Am Setsuna (the Splatoon test fire was good, though). There's just nothing out right now that makes it worth picking up, but by Christmas I'm sure I'll be playing the hell out of it.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I ended up not getting one yet. I'm excited for the system itself, but the lack of launch titles, lack of backwards compatibility, and my current finances sealed my decision.

Lack of titles speaks for itself. Zelda's already on Wii U. Other than that the thing would probably be just sitting there.

The Wii U was the only console I owned of the WiiU/PS4/XboxOne generation, and I own 9 titles for it. I have everything set up so that I can easily toss it into a suitcase and take it over by my friend's house, which I do fairly often. It would have been nice to be able to do that with the Switch since it is designed with portability in mind. Even with the lack of original titles it would have been worth it for me to get it for that.

And with the price being fairly high, I decided against it. Maybe if the price were lower. Maybe if it had backwards compatibility. Maybe if I could somehow crossgrade my WiiU titles to Switch titles (like trade in to Nintendo Mario Kart 8 for MK8 Deluxe). Maybe if it had more titles. But without that, nope. Not biting.
It's thinking...