Bleem! shouldn't be free

Here lies the historical and much-loved bleemcast! forum, once frequented and moderated by Rand Linden himself, preserved for future generations to enjoy. All new bleemcast!-related posts should be made in the main forum below.
SkillsTakinPills
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bleem! shouldn't be free

Post by SkillsTakinPills »

It's cheap. If you want go buy it.
Ghaleon
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ghaleon »

The people who are bringing this up want a free version that will be pretty universal with what it plays. This would be after bleem!cast is out of units(since there are no more being produced). I don't think any of us have trouble coming up w/ $8.99 for a copy of it. I'd really like to play Xenogears in hi-res tho :)
radish28
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by radish28 »

think skills, why would ppl want bleem to be open source (or free)? it's because ppl can add compatiblity! in other words it has nothing to do with how much it costs
Its been a while...
SkillsTakinPills
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by SkillsTakinPills »

I will not think. It has everything to do with cost. Some people just don't want to pay for anything.
radish28
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by radish28 »

true some plp may just get it cuz it's free, though all of us here would like to see a very good PS Emu for DC and some of the programmers here would change the source to make it run more games, even if Rand just relesed the source minus the GUI, etc. then we'd see a PSX emu that runs many games from that.
Its been a while...
Envy
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Envy »

man why the frig did they realese tekken and gt2. We have tons of fighting games and even better racing games. The real thing that dreamcast is lacking is good rpg. I wish they would just realese atleast 2 good rpg's. ff9 and chrono cross.
radish28
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by radish28 »

ppl want a bigger libary, and if yo uwant a PSX emu fo rthose games then make one.
Its been a while...
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

It's true that there are already lots of fighting games and racing games on DC, but the main "point" of Bleem was the princple of the the thing - the notion of pulling a PSX disc out of your DC was just too cool.

But yeah the scene sorta realizes that there is such a thing as a 100% speed emulator for a PSX, a system that is just one generation behind, when it's difficult to even get an older system fast.

I don't think Bleem should release the source. But hey, that's just me.

Schnapple
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Envy wrote: man why the frig did they realese tekken and gt2. We have tons of fighting games and even better racing games. The real thing that dreamcast is lacking is good rpg. I wish they would just realese atleast 2 good rpg's. ff9 and chrono cross.
Hey, they had to start somewhere.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

Bleem! shouldnt be free (especially right now while its still in stock). Randy and the bleem crew did this for a living, and now they are out of work. Releasing the source code would be a bad idea. In an hour someone will compile it and release a dj image. Even if it only runs a game or two, the ppl behind bleem won't make any money at all.

Face it. The average dreamcast user didnt know about bleem!. Most of the people that do know, would probably just burn it for free if they could. Im also guessing the bleem crew doesnt want to be bothered with a bunch of "why dont you just release bleem for free?" requests.

Just leave 'em alone. If they release the source code in a year of two, great. If they dont, great. Either way it was a fine product.

thank you bleem.
The Biz
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by The Biz »

I don't understand why so many people keep asking Rand to release a free version or souce code of Bleemcast. IMHO its just childish. When other software companies stop making games and/or go out of business they are not hounded to release it for free, why should Rand be annoyed by this? Who knows the source for Bleemcast might still be valuable to him.

If a free version was released, although it won't be, it probably wouldn't enhance the graphics that much or at all. Compatibility would suck. Bleem for PC only had about a quarter of PSX games working. Saving will suck. Most PSX games need saving to have fun with. Bleemcast just barely got that right (MGS). Plus everyone and their mother has either a PSX, a PS2, or a PC with epsxe. Bleemcast was more about giving a PSX game DC like graphics, than it was not having to own a playstation.
Ali G wrote: 7 years from now?

i'll be playing dc games on my pc. i perfer my pc 2 run emus.

so y do i post here then?

heh tough question.
Ghaleon
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ghaleon »

Ok, first of all, if Rand released the source after all copies are sold out, he WOULD NOT BE LOSING ANY MONEY AT ALL!!!

Mind you, I'm not stating that he should, just that this is not something that would concern him. This is because of the fact that bleem! for Dreamcast is NO LONGER IN PRODUCTION. With no more manufacturing costs, no more work being put into it, and no more official distribution, Rand would not be losing/making money.

As for the part where you speak of bleem!cast barely got saving right(with MGS), I've yet to experience a single problem with it. I have no idea why so many people have had trouble with it, but it's saved fine on mine every single time. I even *TRIED* to get it to give me an error by saving multiple times in a row.

Lastly, to explain why they released bleem!paks for Tekken 3 and Gran Turismo 2, it's because those are Greatest Hits games for PSX, and had a good installed base. That way most people would only have to pay $8.99(at the most) to play it on their DC with better graphics. If they didn't have the game, then they could easily just buy one in the GH line for $19.99(if they wanted a brand-spankin' new disc).

Overall, I'd love to see Rand either release the source, or to continue work on it in his spare time for releases among the DC dev scene. I can't say I'm confident that it'll happen, but I'd like to see it nontheless. Not because I want to get out of paying for bleem!cast(but considering I already bought it, that's a moot point :lol: ) I'm pretty sure that nobody will write a 100% speed PSX emulator for the DC for the simple fact that nobody really knows how to pull it off. Rand wrote bleem!cast in SH-4 Assembly(tmk, please correct me if I'm wrong). Most homebrew developers only know C/C++ and the like. Writing something in a system's processor language makes it worlds better than just compiling it which would more or less give the system sloppy instructions. Personally, I just want to play Xenogears, Chrono Cross & Final Fantasy 8(and a few others) in Hi-Res and faster loading times ;)
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

We will NOT be releasing the source code or free disc images.

If you want to get a copy of the three titles we've released, I'd suggest acting quickly and buying one before they're gone -- there will be no more made.

Rand.
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

Thank you and goodnight.

TOPIC CLOSED

Schnapple