First, what's missing in this engine:
- The "pause" function in the CD player menu doesn't work properly. It's easy to fix.
- I don't know yet how to detect the audio tracks on the disc, so I've fixed the amount of audio tracks to 99.
- I don't know how to change the volume of the CD audio yet.
- I don't know how to switch the CD audio between stereo/mono. Maybe changing the BIOS setting for it? I wouldn't like to do it that way.
- VMU files are uncompressed. Compressing them would help greatly the savestates and config files.
- No jump pack support yet. I guess it should be easy to add.
- No split-screen. It's simply impossible to get split-screen running at an acceptable speed with the software renderer.
- No network play. I don't know how to add it.
- No hardware acceleration (see below reply to LyingWake).
What are the chances of getting 3D accleration working?
Small. The hardware renderer wasn't updated to be compatible with the rest of the engine, and I've never worked with hardware acceleration before. I guess it would take about a year of hard work to get everything working right, but I'll have less free time in 2006.
how do you get out of zoom view once you're in it?
Press the zoom button again. You also need Makaqu's PAK10.PAK file in the ID1 dir.
I can rip the Pak files from the mac versions of quake right?
Yup. I've read the Mac version got some "graphical improvements", but I don't know if these improvements were made in the engine and/or in the data files.
- The speed is amazing I just cant believe it. The FPS counter seems not to work correctly because it only shows 7-10fps while the game runs SMOOTHLY.
The FPS counter is correct. On normal Quake I get from 6 FPS (big open areas, such as some of the episode 4 maps) to over 20 FPS (in small empty places). This engine is smoother than the others, but it's not faster.
Does nxMakaqu suports skyboxes? PCX, PNG, what?
PCX. There's a good explanation in the readme.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.