Hypertension [2011 Gameplay Trailer footage]

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
mouZ
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hypertension [gameplay footage released!]

Post by mouZ »

Okay, thanks.
Little playable demo of the 1st episode is possible ?

Good luck for dev.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

We ran beta testing last year and it was successful in helping squash bugs. When the DC port is stable we will release the shareware demo of the first episode (of the first game) for everyone to try out.
mouZ
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by mouZ »

Thanks for yours answers Corbin.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

One of the last gameplay trailers we will release, showing off the hard-worked brand new Splitscreen mode!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2NxxMylxAQ
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Re: Hypertension [2011 Gameplay Trailer footage]

Post by Juan »

Hell yeah, co-op on mah Dreamcast!
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Corbin wrote:One of the last gameplay trailers we will release, showing off the hard-worked brand new Splitscreen mode!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2NxxMylxAQ
Awesome work guys, keep it up!

For me, though, I cant stand Vertical splitscreen for a 4:3 screen.
It would be nice to see either Horizontal Splitscreen, or 16:9 Support.
Maybe an option for splitscreen orientation, so everyone is happy :-)
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

In Hyper, you have the ability to change the screensize from 4:3, 16:9, 16:10, 3:2, 24:10 - it also adjusts if you have a widescreen monitor. It was playing in a normal mode, and I don't have a fantastic monitor at the moment to test out the widescreen - though Hyper definitely supports one.

I will try and add an option to change to a horizontal view.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

It looks really neat.

What's the framerate on the DC and SegaCD32X versions?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

Sega32X version will be slightly different from the others, though I can't go into detail about it. All I can say now is it won't be using the engine from Doom32X - it will be using one of Chilly's. If you want to see what the old 32X stuff looked like, its available on one of the youtube gameplay trailers (I think the beta demonstration had some live footage of that).

Incidentally, Chilly is also helping finish up important features (multiplay, etc) before we begin our new port to DC. A major problem with the past DC port (Chui's DreamEdge) was that everytime we wanted to add something, it had to be rewritten in, and it was problematic enough (since the PC stuff was also being dramatically changed at the time). Chui's also used SDL, which according to Chilly, wasn't the best choice for a game like Hyper.

We are trying to avoid that scenario this time around by getting those features completed first on the native PC, then taking care of the DC stuff after so we don't have to think twice once we start.

We also picked up development of the parent engine as a whole as well, so we're hoping things are nice and even across both PC and DC, rather than hacking things up to get the DC running decently.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

The main thoughts I have right now for the CD32X version is to break it up more like the Jaguar version of Doom. That used the 68000 for the game logic, and the graphics chip for the rendering. The SCD has a nice 68000 (even faster than the Jaguar 68000) that allows the game to be split in a similar manner. It's an old enough system that I want to take advantage of whatever I can to help speed things up. If it gives me a 12.5 MHz 68000, I'd be silly to not use it (at least for more than loading data). Between that and probably splitting levels into sub-levels, I think the CD32X version should do fairly well... just more loading periods. :mrgreen:

I wanted to help with the game mainly to get a feel for the code. When working on ports, the more you know about the code, the easier ports become. My current Doom ports all spring from the same sources as I'm more familiar with them. I need to get familiar with this new code base if I want to make decent ports of it.
kohan69
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by kohan69 »

Is there going to be widescreen support for dreamcast?

I think that should be easy to implement and very helpful for split screen.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I think the project has been canceled in favor of a new but rather similar project, still planned for Dreamcast

EDIT: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... 017#p43017
Insane homebrew collector.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

Not exactly. Hypertension was canceled but they have started new project called SCOURGE http://tdgmods.blogspot.com for PC and DC.
This is another project that is really planned for DC, nothing more i can say...
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

Basil wrote:Not exactly. Hypertension was canceled but they have started new project called SCOURGE http://tdgmods.blogspot.com for PC and DC.
Yep, we ran into issues that we couldn't avoid with Hypertension at the very last minute, which was a shame because we were getting close to the end of development. Originally, we decided to use the same engine and re-use all of the source code and just replace the assets, but it was going to be too much work. So we moved Hypertension (Scourge as it's called now) over to another engine, which would give us the power to do the things that we couldn't do before. Some of the story and characters we created for Hypertension were imported over to Scourge, as a lot of the weapon selections and time period the game took place in, but the concept, ideas, and execution are completely removed. I can't disclose many details at the moment, but hopefully we can talk soon.

Our site and forums should be back online in a few weeks (we're moving to a different host), but we'd have to start from scratch as our previous host deleted our content, and my hard drive failed soon after (which eliminated my backups).

We have bits of information over at the Facebook page, but when we're allowed to say/show off things, we will.

Getting a C programmer who can be dedicated to the game code is priority for now, as we've been with a DC programmer for quite some time, which doesn't pose much of an issue on the port front. We also have the original engine creator of the modified Q2 source lending us some help when we need it, but it's mostly for maintanence functions.

Long story short - we don't want people losing faith in our ability to deliver the goods and think waiting for Hypertension was for nothing; I can assure you something great came out of it and in the end, that's what matters. We also need extra help in the departments we are really lacking in at the moment.

Losing Hyper was unfortunate and I still wish we can make some sort of release, but it's not happening in the near future..it'd make things very messy.