NES Remake Jackal

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

NES Remake Jackal

Post by Tyne »

http://home.earthlink.net/~jackal3d/index.html

Check it out. Apparently a Dreamcast & XBox version is also planned!
He's got the gameplay and controls down pat, the music could be improved but otherwise it's awesome! Also has 4 player LAN/Internet support, woohoo.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

great found! i'm downloading it atm and will test it on the dc as soon as i can...

dl can be found here:
http://files.moddb.com/82/Download-Jack ... 5-Release/

thanks to tyne for the links!
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

This can be ported easily to Dreamcast & XBox. I've decompiled the QuakeC source code which means we can add whatever we want, however I'm gonna let Moi handle this because I don't wanna:

A) Mess with decompiled QuakeC source, yuck
B) slow down work on TAoV
C) hog all the glory ;)

Anyway, this can be ported in a few hours to work on Dreamcast unless you run into problems such as. A) Map size, B) RAM, C) Crashes
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

One other thing, the curent music sucks. I say we rerecord it which is EASY, I can handle that if need be.
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Been thanked: 0

Post by crazyrom »

Wow i hope you can port this game it looks great.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Last edited by DARKHALO2K on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

- First off RottenTurd is not an easy man to get ahold of, he doesn't use any instant messagers and I've emailed him before and haven't gotten a reply back ever; as far as I know he likes working from the shadows so to speak...

- Second, his game is based on a Konami copyrighted game and uses exact content from it; meaning he doesn't really have any holders rights in the first place (other then his engine enhancements but that is GPL anyway).

- Third, his Dreamcast & XBox port have been in progress for around a year now and I don't think any work is being done on them; I could be wrong because RottenTurd from what I've observed works very slow but as I said above: This port could be done in a few hours.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Looks cool. Jackal was real fun and this could be as well.
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod

Post by crazyrom »

I also seen that he made a castlevania game could that be ported to the dreamcast?
http://home.earthlink.net/~rottenturd/
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

His Castlevania TC is pretty horrible in comparison to mine, I created a more incomplete but better one since it's strictly 2D and is more true to the real game play..

I wish someone picked it up =(
RottenTurd
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by RottenTurd »

Damn Jeremy, thanks for bashing my CV mod and promoting yours in the same sentence!!! :nono2: That's the second time you've done that on these forums, despite the fact that I've done nothing but compliment your mod in the TAoV thread :what: . I see you're still using my CV candle models in TAoV, so I guess my horrible mod can't be that bad...

FYI - I don't work very slowly, I just rarely have time to work on this kind of stuff like I used to. I have a full time programming career as well as a social life and a family, so modding is just a once in a while thing that I do for my own personal hobby. Anyways, I've moved on from Jackal and started working on a Blaster Master remake. I don't have the DC connection cable or the patience to work on a Jackal DC port, but if you guys want to go for it, you're more than welcome. The only Konami content is the music. I did a quick test on getting it over to the Xbox last year and it's easy to do. One joystick steers the jeep and the other one rotates the world. Works smoothly at 640*480 using QuakeX, but the DC version will have to use a lower res.

It's not a straight port because of the maps. I used really small placeholder textures to keep the compiled .bsp filesize down. Since my engine uses external TGA textures and ignores the .bsp textures anyway there was no need to have real textures taking up space in the map file. If you do a straight port it'll look like ass because of the small and blurry placeholder textures. I can supply the original .rmf's or .map's, but you'll need to go into Worldcraft and replace/resize/realign the textures on all the maps. The TGA textures can be converted to the Q1 palette and made into a wad for that part. The .mdl's also have placeholder textures since they use external TGA's too.

Also, my engine removes the polycount limit of .mdl's so there will be a problem with some of the models having too many polys. I used MP3's for my music (recorded from an NES emulator), but you can replace the music if you don't like it as long as your DC Quake engine supports MP3, otherwise you'll need to make .wav files and add QuakeC code to play them. Another problem is that the HUD icons and several other things are setup in the actual engine, not QuakeC. BTW, I can also supply you with my actual QuakeC source. Anything you decompile from my progs.dat will be highly inaccurate and unreadable.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I'm sure he didn't mean your mod is horrible probably just worded it wrong. People should try to avoid such word cause they can unintentionally hurt someone who has worked on something. Working together and learning from each others projects is important.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

RottenTurd wrote:Damn Jeremy, thanks for bashing my CV mod and promoting yours in the same sentence!!! :nono2: That's the second time you've done that on these forums, despite the fact that I've done nothing but compliment your mod in the TAoV thread :what: . I see you're still using my CV candle models in TAoV, so I guess my horrible mod can't be that bad...
Don't take it personally, you put in a good effort but it doesn't play like a CastleVania game as much as it potentially could in the Quake engine; I suppose I'm too much of a perfectionist and maybe I came off a bit harsh, sorry about that. :\

Anyway, I've made tons of shit mods that shouldn't of seen the light of day and released them embrassingly recently

The candle model is particularly nice, I thought it was from Hexen 2 but I'm wrong again! Whoo.

Anyway hope that clears any negativity up
RottenTurd
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by RottenTurd »

No worries, I shouldn't have stirred anything up in the first place. I tend to take stuff personally sometimes when I shouldn't.

I haven't touched this stuff in a while, but I remember I had to recompile qbsp with higher limits to get some of the maps to build. Something about too many leafs in the same plane. For porting it over to the DreamCast you might need to tweak these Worldcraft files for the levels:
Jackal .rmf's
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

If I knew how to run it on my dreamcast, I would dl. I loved the original for the nes.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Same here.
Insane homebrew collector.
dreammatrix
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by dreammatrix »

Great remake RottenTurd !
It was one of the funnest quake mods that i played !
I recompiled the maps (bsp 30 to 29) ,changed the tga(24 bit) to quake1(8bit) textures, changed and resize the models skins, and the music (mp3 to wav).
My dc is broken so i dont tested in dreamcast yet, but
Its working in pc makaqu and winquake now !
If anyone want to test in dreamcast the link is below ...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6YAPYZPE

RottenTurd your engine can play (bsp30 and tga textures) it is a half-quake engine ?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Megaupload isn't working:
Infelizmente toda largura de banda disponível está atualmente reservada para nossos clientes Premium. Portanto, download grátis não estará disponível na próxima [vez] .

Estamos tratando de adicionar mais capacidade para nossos usuários não-pagantes e gostaríamos de pedir desculpas pela incoveniência.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
dreammatrix
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by dreammatrix »

Fragger wrote:Megaupload isn't working:
Infelizmente toda largura de banda disponível está atualmente reservada para nossos clientes Premium. Portanto, download grátis não estará disponível na próxima [vez] .

Estamos tratando de adicionar mais capacidade para nossos usuários não-pagantes e gostaríamos de pedir desculpas pela incoveniência.

Another link now on rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/26721074/Jackal3.rar.html