Quake 2 w/sound enabled?

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Quake 2 w/sound enabled?

Post by DARKHALO2K »

I've heard that nobody has ever been able to compile Bero's various Dreamcast ports, but I was wondering if anybody is aware of how to activate sound in his port of Quake 2, or if a build is available that has it activated?

I ask as i'm putting together a build of the Quake 2 demo wherein the image and sound files are downsized, to be used in conjunction with ports like this wherein the target hardware has small amounts of memory; which should result in better load times and fullspeed gameplay.
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Re: Quake 2 w/sound enabled?

Post by Christuserloeser »

Sounds interesting. Keep us updated on your progress!
Insane homebrew collector.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nico0020 »

Sounds interesting. Keep us updated on your progress!
*The Cadillac of signatures*
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Well, I found a working e-mail address for Bero and have sent him a message, but don't know if he still checks that inbox or not.

His Quake 2 port runs full speed, and it is my understanding that the long load times and disabling of sound is due to RAM limitations. My time with the port would simply be spent on down sizing the textures and sound files until they fit in to memory.

I would look to downsample all necessary media from the Quake 2 demo, which should be legal to redistribute, along with a guide on how to down size the files from the full game for those that would want a complete port.

I'd hope that this would encourage people to do more with the port; at least see a few maps and mods ported over.

Anyway, unless I can be provided with a build with sound enabled then this project is at somewhat of a stand still. I plan on doing some simple tests with maps and textures soon, but I wouldn't expect to hear much more for a while.

Thanks for the interest and support, though.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Any updates to contacting Bero about this?
ImageImageImageImage
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I would look to downsample all necessary media from the Quake 2 demo, which should be legal to redistribute, along with a guide on how to down size the files from the full game for those that would want a complete port.
Be careful. Just because the demo can be freely redistributed, that does not mean that you can distribute modified versions without id's permission.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Unfortunately, I was never able to make contact with Bero. I went ahead and made some compression tests using the soundless build, and hope to return to this project soon.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I hope you get this working. Kudos if you do.
ImageImageImageImage