Is it possible to implement JoyMenu for other ports?

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Is it possible to implement JoyMenu for other ports?

Post by MethodGit »

I feel it would come in dead handy with, for example, QuakeX for the XBox.

The only thing I'm concerned with is that it uses DC-specific bindings, all beginning with "DC". I'm not sure how easy it would be to change this for XBox, I know there's already a potential to use the same left/right d-pad control for that machine, as QuakeX currently uses all directions of the d-pad to simply switch weapons (no zoom/menu function).

Its JoyConsole would also be infinitely better than QX's built-in attempt, which is currently unuseable because the input for some reason is turbo-charged, meaning it's too easy to make 13 "m"s by simply pressing a button as normal! Even tapping the button very carefully doesn't guarantee easy results.

I'm pretty sure some people managed to make JoyMenu work on the PC before (unless they could prove me wrong) so what could I do/adjust to adapt it for XBox compatibility? Especially when I have a feeling Lantus isn't going to update QuakeX any longer....
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

I think porting Makaqu to the XBox would be a better alternative. However, I don't have the QuakeX source code and a XBox to test it.

If someone send me the QuakeX source, I can give it a try; but someone else will have to test it for me.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MethodGit »

Hmmmm, this I found while googling for said source.

I don't see why these XBox homebrew things have the source on good supply in the first place. Surely source releases can't be as dodgy as binary distributions?

EDIT: this also.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod
Has thanked: 0

Post by TheDumbAss »

I agree with Fragger. Porting Makaqu would be better than adapting JoyMenu.

As it is... QuakeX 1.01 is just QuakeX 1.0 with most of the changes Fragger made to RADQuake ported over, a few other minor additions and network support which was added by Lantus.

And as far as the source being released...
The 1.0 source was released and I was under the impression that the 1.01 source was as well. (up till about 6 months ago when people started asking for it.) When I found out it haddnt been released I couldnt find my copy and pointed people to Lantus. I guess Lantus doesnt have his copy anymore either. But I've since found my source (got it from a 3rd party I had sent it to actually) and even the source Lantus sent me with network support w/o my changes.

I'll most likely be doing that release next month as I'll have more time to do what I plan before doing so.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!