Makaqu 1.5.1

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by leileilol »

the license wrote:
The "Holly 3d engine" Release is copyrighted
(c)2003,2004,2005 by Heinrich Tillack (as noted in each file ).

All rights reserved.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose
and to redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented. You must not
claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software
in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be
appreciated but is not required.

2. ANY COMMERCIAL USE IS PROHIBITED. This includes that you must not use
this software in the production of a commercial product. Only an explicit
permission by the author of "Holly 3d engine" can allow you to do that.

3. Any modification applied to the software must be marked as such clearly.

4. This license may not be removed or altered from any distribution.
This clause clashes against the GNU GPL (used by nxMakaqu and all Quake engine derivatives from the gpl source release) which allows commercial redistribution, so no it's not possible.
POOPOO
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Aside from which, it wouldn't be useful anyway.
Vash*The*Stampede
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Vash*The*Stampede »

Vash*The*Stampede wrote:
GTA Quake : '+mlook' unknown command
Matrix Quake : '+mlook' unknown command

Fragger wrote:
This is not a bug. I removed the +mlook command from the engine because it became obsolete.

That command is the last thing I see when I load those games, they then proceed to crash. That is why I added that. If there's anyway around that, please let us know.

Vash*The*Stampede wrote:
Prydon Gate v1.5 : Fatal Error, Hunk Alloc. - failed on 2784 bytes

Most probably, there was not enough RAM available.

I guess so. People claim the last beta (v1.3?) works, so it can be dealt with.

Vash*The*Stampede wrote:
Some games show up on the Quake Engine but 'work' (ie Kickflip).

What do you mean?

I'll try to explain it throughly. I load up Kickflip, choose 'new game'. When it comes into the gameplay, the character exists (On the skateboard), the music is playing. However, it's taking place in Quake and it's maps, entities for enemies, etc. still exist instead of the Kickflip maps. This makes it not as fun & of course, you'll end up being shot and dying without being able to fight back. Sorry if that still doesn't help.

Vash*The*Stampede wrote:
Some games you must redo the controls, as they are not manually set.

This is not a bug. The default controls are defined in the config files, not in the engine. If a mod that was not made to run on the DC has a different default configuration, its default configuration will certainly not include button assignments for the DC controller. This is not a problem, because you can edit the config files for the mod before burning the disc, and you can also save your current configuration in the VMU after binding the controller's buttons.

Please keep in mind, I was not claiming all of these findings as 'bugs' but just pointing things out. However, your answer definately helps. I'll continue to test the new build with more games (man is it hard to find Quake mods nowadays) & let everyone know what the results are. Thank you for your work, dedication & help!!
"In the language of the flower, red geraniums represent determination"
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

Kickflip, like many Quake mods in the 96-2000 era, weren't made for the Dreamcast in mind, so that's not really a bug of the engine.
POOPOO
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Vash*The*Stampede wrote:Vash*The*Stampede wrote:

I'll try to explain it throughly. I load up Kickflip, choose 'new game'. When it comes into the gameplay, the character exists (On the skateboard), the music is playing. However, it's taking place in Quake and it's maps, entities for enemies, etc. still exist instead of the Kickflip maps. This makes it not as fun & of course, you'll end up being shot and dying without being able to fight back. Sorry if that still doesn't help.
Well, you have to change the map to the one from the original kickflip mod map via the console, typing: "map kickflip" or whatever the map in this mod is called..
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

/\/\/\ Grr, beaten! :evil:
Vash*The*Stampede wrote: I'll try to explain it throughly. I load up Kickflip, choose 'new game'. When it comes into the gameplay, the character exists (On the skateboard), the music is playing. However, it's taking place in Quake and it's maps, entities for enemies, etc. still exist instead of the Kickflip maps. This makes it not as fun & of course, you'll end up being shot and dying without being able to fight back. Sorry if that still doesn't help.
You're not loading the specified Kickflip maps, this is your fault. Look for extra .bsp files in the mods directory such as "kickflip1.bsp" (as an example), you would then type in the console "map kickflip1". You would be placed in the proper map. Be sure you're binding the proper kickflip controls to your controller also.

Normal Quake entities appear in the regular Quake maps because Kickflip wasn't built from scratch like Prydon/Envenom/TAoV was. Also you can still do skate tricks in the regular Quake maps without monsters, just turn on "deathmatch 1" in console and type "restart". Voila!

It'd be nice for someone to repackage these mods for Dreamcast specific play as it wouldn't be hard at all and would help the community also; oh and the persons respect would go up :P
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Tyne wrote:It'd be nice for someone to repackage these mods for Dreamcast specific play as it wouldn't be hard at all and would help the community also
I thought of it. I was waiting for further testing from others since I think that translates into interest; and also to gain some more experience of my own - check some previous posts and you'll see I'm a Quake newb :lol:
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

@Tyne: hehehehehehehe :D whoz teh pwnz0r!!!!!!11111111
Juan wrote:
Tyne wrote:It'd be nice for someone to repackage these mods for Dreamcast specific play as it wouldn't be hard at all and would help the community also
I thought of it. I was waiting for further testing from others since I think that translates into interest; and also to gain some more experience of my own - check some previous posts and you'll see I'm a Quake newb :lol:
Yepp, dcevo has been working on a QuakeDC image for years, (since 2003 IIRC). I was part of the team and had access to the members section, but some day the forum got hacked and I could not login any more. And since dcevo ppl are working on so many projects the quake one kinda "got lost".
Now with nxMakaqu we have a great alternative to the "half-legal" WinCE based QuakeDC. So an image even with different version of nxMakaqu and mods is possible. :D

@Vash*The*Stampede: you could also rename the kickflip map to "start.bsp" so the engine will start it on its own and you don't have to call it manually from the console anymore.
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

http://qarchive.quakedev.com/

Blam! MODS GALORE! Including some of my oldies ;)
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

http://www.planetgargoyle.com/lostmods/ren/

and tyne's old things that aren't taov too. lei-lei written up the page, so excuse her bad english
POOPOO
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Moi wrote:Yepp, dcevo has been working on a QuakeDC image for years, (since 2003 IIRC). I was part of the team and had access to the members section, but some day the forum got hacked and I could not login any more.
I didn't know that! Please give Curt Grymala a PM, he will give you access again ;)

...and yes, it's true. We are working on a QuakeDC release since 2004. In fact I joined DCEvolution just to work on that release to replace the 'plain' QuakeDC image over at http://www.DCHomebrew.org
And since dcevo ppl are working on so many projects the quake one kinda "got lost".
Nope, we had the release pretty much done in September 2004 and were waiting for Fragger to finalize his documentation of JoyMenu and for the final version of JoyMenu v2.2.

It's just that because he had been workin on JoyMenu/QuakeDC since 2001, he was tired of working on it which is understandable.

Since that we were enhancing the release. I am actually aiming for a release of the final "QuakeDCEvo" version in September.

In the review I don't really regret waiting that long as what we will release will be much better than what we would have released 2004.

Also, the release would have been a DCEvolution release of QuakeDC. Now it's a release featuring and presenting Fragger's hard work on QuakeDC. Reading through my old notes and posts I know that I was aware of how much of an improvement to the original plain QuakeDC this release thanks to Fragger's work is, was and will be, but not really as much as I am now.
Now with nxMakaqu we have a great alternative to the "half-legal" WinCE based QuakeDC. So an image even with different version of nxMakaqu and mods is possible. :D
Yep, I hereby would like to invite everyone that's interested to join the DCEvolution.net contributor staff and help us with doing some nice nxMakaqu releases featuring all the great mods out there.

I for myself am completely loaded with work until next year, so any help is greatly appreciated :)
Insane homebrew collector.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Vash*The*Stampede wrote:
Fragger wrote:This is not a bug. I removed the +mlook command from the engine because it became obsolete.
That command is the last thing I see when I load those games, they then proceed to crash. That is why I added that. If there's anyway around that, please let us know.
If they are crashing, certainly isn't because of this. There's something else causing it.
Vash*The*Stampede wrote:I load up Kickflip, choose 'new game'. When it comes into the gameplay, the character exists (On the skateboard), the music is playing. However, it's taking place in Quake and it's maps, entities for enemies, etc. still exist instead of the Kickflip maps. This makes it not as fun & of course, you'll end up being shot and dying without being able to fight back.
As the others have said, in this case you must load the maps manually. This happens when the mod does not have a start map (start.bsp). It would be cool to make the engine generate a maplist in this case, but this could be somewhat complicated to do.
Vash*The*Stampede wrote:Please keep in mind, I was not claiming all of these findings as 'bugs' but just pointing things out. However, your answer definately helps. I'll continue to test the new build with more games (man is it hard to find Quake mods nowadays) & let everyone know what the results are. Thank you for your work, dedication & help!!
Don't worry, I like when people report problems, specially when who does it is someone who doesn't know the game very well ;). It's harder to notice small problems when we are good at the game, because these small problems has little effect on us.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Vash*The*Stampede
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Vash*The*Stampede »

True I have a lot more understanding of the Doom engine rather than Quake, although I played both when I was younger. I'm just not that experienced in Quake; I appreciate the help.

Although this is in the Quake Section, this is more of a Dreamcast related issue. Please keep that mind folks.

Fragger wrote:
If they are crashing, certainly isn't because of this. There's something else causing it.
Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Any help (links, PMs, etc) figuring out how these games could be more Dreamcast specific would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.
"In the language of the flower, red geraniums represent determination"
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

If it crashes without displaying an error message, it's hard to tell why it happened.

By the way, the Customize Controls menu and the maplist in the Multiplayer menu can be customized. There's an explanation in the readme.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

TAoV used to hang (now it just runs out of memory), and so did Codename Corporal and Codename Envenom. How did I fix these hangs? Simple. a .spr file is usually to blame (because Quake compiled for Dreamcast hates .spr files for no reason).

If you're able to access the console before the mod loads, (I usually just shove a new start up configuration file pointing to a non-existant map file so this occurs) then type "developer 1" in the console, now load the mods maps and see what file it hangs on.

Keep in mind it may crash to a black screen as I've witnessed that before, you have a split second to see which file it is. When you know what file it is, replace it or recreate it. Also .sprs are simply 2D sprites incase you didn't know or anyone else :P
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

What's the QC support and I'm guessing the files in qc.7z go hand and hand?
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Fragger, do you have a coders cable or BBA ? I think it's time that we do collect some donations and get you one. Don't say no, because we all know that you'd deserve it :kiss)
Insane homebrew collector.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

fackue wrote:What's the QC support and I'm guessing the files in qc.7z go hand and hand?
QC is short for QuakeC. Basicly, when I say "QC support for <insert feature here>", I'm saying that you can use this feature through the QuakeC code.

When the QC code is compiled it results in a progs.dat file (or qwprogs.dat for QuakeWorld). The qc.7z file is the source code for the progs.dat file included in Makaqu's PAK10.PAK file.
Christuserloeser wrote:Fragger, do you have a coders cable or BBA ? I think it's time that we do collect some donations and get you one. Don't say no, because we all know that you'd deserve it :kiss)
I'm doing just fine with CD-Rs now, so I don't think a coder's cable or a BBA would make much difference. It could probably be helpful to do this "profiling" I keep seeing other DC coders talk about, but I don't know what it is =P. I still have a lot to learn about programming.

Anyway, I'm too busy with college and other stuff right now, so I don't think I will be able to make any more big changes in this engine. I'll probably release a new version in December or January, another version in the middle of 2007, and that's it.

One of the reasons why I started programming in QuakeC and in the Quake engine is because I had a lot of ideas for cool advanced features to add in it. Now that I learned how to do some of these advanced stuff, what keeps me from doing more is my lack of knowledge on several basic programming things. So next year I'm going to put my focus on college and on learning more; I want to be prepared to get a good job by the end of college.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Dear Fragger, I have found a bug!
Playing TAoV in the latest version with Makaqu, it will freeze in Castle2.BSP when entering the teleporter door secret. This should actually affect whatever TAoV version you're running also.

It works fine in Winquake and Darkplaces, if you want more information then MSN me!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Thanks. It doesn't happen when using "r_drawentities 0", so there must be something wrong with the renderer.

At least it's not a problem with the interpolation, since it also happens with "r_interpolation 0".

[edit] I tested it again, and it's also happening with "r_drawentities 0". Eek!
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==