nxDoom with mission packs, music help

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

nxDoom with mission packs, music help

Post by evanft »

Id released some official mission packs for doom and doom 2 back in the day. If I want to use those with nxDoom, do I just treat them as mods?? Also, do I have to burn the music along with the wads, or is that included in those files?? Finally, how do I use the patches?? Thank you.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

For the mission packs - it depends.

The only two official mission packs I know of were sold as "Final Doom", and consisted of two stand-alone mission packs for Doom 2 - Plutonia Experiment (PLUTONIA.WAD), and TNT Evilution (TNT.WAD). To get these working, you just dump the main WAD files in the DOOM directory. The modlist will pick them up. They aren't quite the same as a mod - the mission pack WAD files are complete WAD files, and the game just loads that WAD file instead of Doom 2's main WAD file.

Any other mission packs (like the Master Levels for Doom 2 that came with Final Doom) would just be the same as any regular mod.

Music - Download the music packs, and put them in the DOOM directory alongside the main WAD files. You won't be able to play the shareware version of Doom if you install the music pack (bug), but the others will just work.
NightStalker
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by NightStalker »

evanft check your pm's..you have a link!
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

So how do I find out what to put to put into the modlist as the commandline??
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

For the Final Doom stuff, you don't even need a modlist entry. It'll pick them up all by itself. For level packs, the command line is:

Code: Select all

-file filename.wad
Test the command line on the PC version if you want to make sure.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

Yeah, I actually just figured it out: ModName,Main wad,-file mod.wad music.wad file.deh -savename save,Mod Name

What do I do with patches?? Do I just insert them in with the rest of the files??
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

What kind of patches are they?
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

anyone have some music, besides the regular doom music, i have a bunch of mods and get bored of that same music.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

BlackAura wrote:What kind of patches are they?
They're for mods. They contain a wad file and a deh file.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You use them the same way. Just do

Code: Select all

-file filename.wad filename.deh
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

Do I put them in the same line as the rest of the mod, or do I start a new line?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

All in the same line.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

That's what I thought. What do I do with patches for the actual Doom game wads??
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Just add all of the WAD and DEH files onto the same line, after the -file bit. That works for 99.9% of the available mods (or at least, the ones that work in nxDoom). The only exceptions are ones that actually replace the main WAD file with a new one, but you'd know if you had one of those, and they'll likely work with -file anyway.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

So i have to create a line for the main wads as well?? I though they were just detected automatically.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

They are. I'm not at all sure what you're asking. For all modifications, you create a single entry. For the original WAD files, nxDoom detects them. For new main WAD files (complete replacement WAD files) it's a bit different, but you probably don't have any of those anyway.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

I'm talking about patches that would upgrade the game from like 1.7 to 1.9 or whatever.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Ah, those. You apply them to your original Doom / Doom 2 installation, and then copy the updated main WAD file into nxDoom. You must use a 1.9 version of the WAD files - nxDoom will not work correctly with earlier versions (Doom / Doom 2 v 1.6 works, but crashes quite often, and Doom 1.5 and earlier just won't work)
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

Ok..the version of Doom I have is Ultimate Doom. That's the latest version of Doom 1, right?? And I'm pretty sure my Master Levels disc has Doom 2 on it, but I can't find its WAD file. Instead, there's an mj3 file. Is this just the WAD with a different file name??

Also, on the Master Levels disc, Doom_se.exe is listed as being the "Master Levels" but when I look around, I see a couple files with a huge number of WADs. Now, are these just extras, or am I going to have to go through and put these in the modlist.txt one by one??
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Ok..the version of Doom I have is Ultimate Doom. That's the latest version of Doom 1, right??
Yep, that's the latest version. It's also the version I use, and the version nxDoom was developed with until I got hold of a copy of Doom 2.
Instead, there's an mj3 file. Is this just the WAD with a different file name??
Not a clue. Never seen one before.
am I going to have to go through and put these in the modlist.txt one by one??
If you want to play them all, yes. Either that, or use a WAD editor to combine groups of them into larger mission packs (for Doom 1 levels, you can pack 32 levels into the Ultimate Doom WAD, not including secret levels, and for Doom 2 you can put 30 levels in there).