The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Ascension Of Vigil

Post by Tyne »

Anyways I'm still recreating Castle.bsp still which is a hub to a lot of different areas still, I've finished the troglod wizard. TAoV seems to be a standard beat em up until you reach the village and especially the castle where exploration kicks up a huge notch. :)

Keep in mind that the 2 shots below aren't near complete. Textures aren't done, no sky, not vis'd, and there's absolutely no lighting.

Check out these curtains, I got the idea from that castlevania tc by rottenturd

Worldcraft screenshot of how levels look when they're built
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Post by Christuserloeser »

:o Impressive ! - even without lightning/shadows, etc.
Insane homebrew collector.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Thanks! I'm gonna finish the village map off now, I'm putting town guards as well as NPC townsfolk you can talk to including one who will give you quests (also she's an ancestor from the hero from Prydon Gate ;)) and then wrap that map up.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

What techniques are you using to boost the famerate of the DC version ?
Skelly
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skelly »

This game really freaking rocks. It rocked enough to make me register at the very least. Keep up the good work! I really hope you finish this and don't let it die like some other great homebrews I've seen. Anyway, here are a few questions/comments:

1. is it possible for me to host a Coop/DM server for this game right now with the latest build? I'd love to try it, but I haven't figured out how.
2. I'd love to help somehow on this project, but I'm not sure what I could do to help.
3. What percent of the total game would you say you completed so far?
4. Do you plan to add any more moves to the game? The ones you've got are cool enough; I was just curious.
5. How many moves will you start out with? I personally love games like SotN where you have to explore and look for new moves to get past places you can't get to yet.

Anyway, that map is looking good and keep up the good work like I said before!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Skelly wrote:This game really freaking rocks. It rocked enough to make me register at the very least. Keep up the good work! I really hope you finish this and don't let it die like some other great homebrews I've seen. Anyway, here are a few questions/comments:

1. is it possible for me to host a Coop/DM server for this game right now with the latest build? I'd love to try it, but I haven't figured out how.
2. I'd love to help somehow on this project, but I'm not sure what I could do to help.
3. What percent of the total game would you say you completed so far?
4. Do you plan to add any more moves to the game? The ones you've got are cool enough; I was just curious.
5. How many moves will you start out with? I personally love games like SotN where you have to explore and look for new moves to get past places you can't get to yet.

Anyway, that map is looking good and keep up the good work like I said before!
"is it possible for me to host a Coop/DM server for this game right now with the latest build? I'd love to try it, but I haven't figured out how. "
Yes, use Darkplaces (GLTAoV.exe). Host a server, it says "Unsupported" in the text when you click multiplayer but that's not true. I built TAoV for Dreamcast at first and never got around to fixing the text. Run a server (it's the first option), switch to "map start" and have a player connect and setup the conditions for coop. For multiplayer bring down the console with ~ (tilid) and type "map arena1" or "map arena2". I'll try to make it easier in the final version or future upgrades. DM and Coop DO fully work though, it took me a long time to support both since TAoV was originally coded for single player only. For a player to connect bring down the console (Tilid once again "~" and have them type "connect <ip>" without the quotes)

I should also mention that a lot of maps are binded to insert, home, page up, delete, end, and page down for easy switching on a standard keyboard like I use.

"I'd love to help somehow on this project, but I'm not sure what I could do to help."
If you wish to help TAoV at the moment the biggest aspect I need are decent mappers, anyone who's had experience with Half-Life 1/2 mapping or Quake 1/2 perhaps 3? may be able to help with this. If they've played or seen 2D style Quake maps that's all the better, even better are people familiar with Metroid style games. Unreal mappers would have no idea by the way since their system is totally different (world is solid, you build empty boxes inside out and fill in stuff. Quake is 100% opposite, make the world from outside and fill the insides.). TAoV is primarily built with Worldcraft 1.6a by myself, more so by Q3Radiant by even more experienced mappers.

" What percent of the total game would you say you completed so far?"
I'd say about 70% overall. I need to finish a lot of stuff regardless, the combat system is basically finished unless I hear a lot of complaints (none so far), bosses are my biggest concern since Quake isn't that.. familiar with larger bounding boxes (hit detection boxes) than what's supported; I'm trying to program tricks around it. TAoV is pushing Quake like you wouldn't believe although I can keep expanding far past the limits. I'm coding quests, NPCs, and a lot of stuff. I'm trying to bring the fun of guardian heroes / ninja gaiden / symphony of the night to Quake along with my own twists, it isn't easy but it's a great learning experience.

"What techniques are you using to boost the frame rate of the DC version ?"
Oh man, the DC version will probably be quite a bit different. I've surpassed the RAM by this point I'm sure. Quake DC's problem is geometry, it hates it. If you want a basic list of cuts out of the DC Version then sure here it is:

- Voices / SFX cut intelligently (sped up, missing voices you wouldn't notice, recycled stuff)
- No transparencies, these take up too much rendering time as I want the framerate to be 22+ or so
- Modified / altered maps to bring detail closer to the camera (Quake hates rendering large distances, huge framerate hit)
- No rain, no lighting, no shadows, no speed effects behind the player
- Downgraded music, textures replaced with simpler ones, no grass (grass is 256 polys per model. 4096 is rendered in castle2 itself)

There's probably more, the gameplay WILL remain the same; the combos the combat etc will not be modified. TAoV requires a fast framerate more so than graphics otherwise it skips frames and breaks and looks ugly, sorry; I'm not an engine programmer therefore I can't do anything about it.

"Do you plan to add any more moves to the game? The ones you've got are cool enough; I was just curious."
I was thinking of adding swimming animations, this would require a few cuts of animations already made in Vigil himself that nobody would really notice unless you're picky. I'm not sure what my stance is, I do want to make an underwater cavern that requires a 'relic' to access however. I might make it like SotN in that his jump distance has increased under water. Wait for a bit, I hate cutting animation unless it's unnoticable.

"How many moves will you start out with? I personally love games like SotN where you have to explore and look for new moves to get past places you can't get to yet."
Relics open a lot of new places, here's the relics you'll be required to find:

Ledge Grab
Wall Grab
Spin Slash
Wall Run
Double jump
Holy Snorkel - New

Spin slash relic open Vigil's biggest attack the Flaming head smash which isn't exactly easy to land at all times, it also allows him to mid-air hit opponents as he double jumps. The most are maneuverable moves to get further in a map, for long time players you'll feel restricted but once you've maxed out your relics you'll be at home again.

I hope that covers it all :) Thanks for the support.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I should also mention if I can get a DC tester that'd be great, my Dreamcast Lik-Sang cables broke 2 weeks after they arrived :\ I plan to primarily support nxQuake, I'd love to release a simple .NRG or .ISO/.BIN combo for easy burning and leave it at that in order for TAoV to be playable.

Also I'd like to say some special effects may remain from the PC version so long as it doesn't slow down gameplay when the player is in control; that's the worst move a game developer can make.
brudriot
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by brudriot »

Hi everyone great, great awesome game!

Erm I know I might be a bit dumb but I dl the AOV game and the patch... http://renegadec.digitalfunk.org/taov_patch.rar

But every time I finish the first stage it crashes, could someone please help? Thanks.

After defeating the boss on level one. I try to enter the cave to level 2 but it says can't load map 02. Anyone has the same problem? I even applied the patch but it didn't help. :( I'm running it on my pc.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

It's an incomplete game, hit Insert/Home/Page Up/Delete/End/Page down to switch between levels. While I do have Map02 I still haven't thus far been given permission to release it and RPG and I haven't talked in MONTHS. :\
brudriot
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by brudriot »

Oh so sorry to hear about that hope it all gets sorted out?

Thanks very much for all your help Tyne.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Small Update:

I've added town guards to the Village using the knight model from Hack & Slash, they're able to be talked to much like any other NPC. I'm basically populating the town and finishing it up! On the side I'm remapping the castle.bsp which is more of a hub for connecting different areas of the castle.

Also like original metroid, there will be no 'world map', I also plan an entire underwater cavern.
Skelly
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skelly »

Sounds good. If you are open to any ideas, I have a few that I think are good.

1. Maybe after you talk to one of the guards you have an option to spar against him? New players could practice different combos this way. You could also give an option of making him harder each time you beat him, and if you beat the super hard version of him, you could get some goodies. (gold or something, I dunno.)

2. Maybe you add a teleporter in town to quickly go back and forth between town and places you've been. (Like Diablo 2 waypoints or the SotN teleport rooms. Same principle pretty much.

Just thought I'd throw these ideas out.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Tyne are you still alive? I hope you still are working on this awesome mod. I want to see a final polished product someday:)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Skelly wrote:Sounds good. If you are open to any ideas, I have a few that I think are good.

1. Maybe after you talk to one of the guards you have an option to spar against him? New players could practice different combos this way. You could also give an option of making him harder each time you beat him, and if you beat the super hard version of him, you could get some goodies. (gold or something, I dunno.)

2. Maybe you add a teleporter in town to quickly go back and forth between town and places you've been. (Like Diablo 2 waypoints or the SotN teleport rooms. Same principle pretty much.

Just thought I'd throw these ideas out.
1. By the time you get to the town you'll pretty much have a grasp of how the combat system works, although there will be side-quests that sort of tie into what you're suggesting.

2. This has been planned from the beginning and is partially implemented, you can see a few teleporters here and there such as the town, and the tower level. You can only use a teleporter after finding it and activating it also which adds a bit of exploration value to the game.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

law56ker wrote:Tyne are you still alive? I hope you still are working on this awesome mod. I want to see a final polished product someday:)
Yep I'm alive, a bunch of construction workers came by and cut the underground cable line accidentally so I haven't had any net access for a bit. Anyways this part of TAoV development is stale (as in boring) since it's mostly mapping, but it's fun to play test new levels.

Also Chillo has been doing some modelling!
Old
New
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Cool, it's nice to see your still at work.
Ravey
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Ravey »

The new model looks awesome! Reminds me of old favourites like Bioforge and Vagrant Story. the legs in particular are much better and the texturing is good but i'm not so sure about the face. Perhaps the visible shoulder shouldn't be so defined but how it is now is definately much nicer.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I agree with the face. It appears that his chin and neck are morphed together. It needs to have more of a chin/chiseled look.

His boots also seem to be a bit large compared to his upper legs and torso.
Vash*The*Stampede
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Vash*The*Stampede »

Personally I like the old model a lot better. Most noticible would be the head/neck/shoulder line, but overall the older model is much better defined and has a more original style. Even if he does have Link's hair. :mrgreen: I would stick with the older model, or at least consider remapping the newer one to look more realistic.
"In the language of the flower, red geraniums represent determination"
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Just thought I'd show what's up, nothing is permanent as of yet as I agree the model does in fact need a bit of tweaking; however Chillo already started animating it so I'm not sure if that'll happen ... we'll have to see.

On the technical side of things the newer model has a way more optimized skin mesh saving a nice chunk of RAM as well as being 300 polys or so lower which would increase framerates on Dreamcast, also his arse isn't mangled unlike the older Vigil model.