The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCmad »

Fragger wrote:Well, I won't touch RADQuake anymore. Besides the personal reasons, I would have to fix the mistakes made in the last version, and I prefer to spend this time working more on nxQuake.
Good reasons you have.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

New version uploaded.

New this release:
- Started "Baron" enemy, these guys are tough and will be saved for later levels in the game. If you wish to fight one, type "map baron" into console and run right. He's only featured in this ugly test map. :)

Give me your opinions on what you think of him!

- Updated map01 from RPG, yes I'm aware of the dog being stuck in the clip brush and it has since been fixed.

Also numerous changes into the game code itself, it's coming along nicely.
Last edited by Tyne on Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Nice changes now!

In this shot, i died but Vigil has kept alive with 1HP. The knight stoped to react as before. And impulse 1 (magic) has stoped to work:

And the distance for receive/deliver atacks is still too great, i presume it's boring you too...

The Baron monster is great, that stomp atack and so.

A hint i did here with qME: change grounded.mdl skin to a gradient of yellow, it's more natural than blue. Maybe add some flags to it?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad wrote:Nice changes now!

In this shot, i died but Vigil has kept alive with 1HP. The knight stoped to react as before. And impulse 1 (magic) has stoped to work:

And the distance for receive/deliver atacks is still too great, i presume it's boring you too...

The Baron monster is great, that stomp atack and so.

A hint i did here with qME: change grounded.mdl skin to a gradient of yellow, it's more natural than blue. Maybe add some flags to it?
I still don't understand why this 1 HP business still haunts me. :\ It's scary, I might as well just replace Vigil's damage and pain code with Corporals from Envenom since that one works correctly and see how that works.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

New version! Here's what's new:

- Baron's map has been renamed "baron" as opposed to "taov_t1", so in console type "map baron" to fight him.
- Better looking sword animations for Vigil! :)
- Vigil Revenge (his counter stab move) move has been tweaked and is now more useful.
- Fireballs have been modified so they're a tad more damaging, spin better, look better, and move faster.
- A new addition to the magic system! You are able to cast Magic Spells even with half the mana requirement! However, after Vigil casts the spell he will become tired and will have to sit for a bit to regain his strength, this is shown in the beginning demo. The stronger the spell you cast without the proper mana requirement the more Vigil will become tired, being attacked and hurt will remove Vigil's tired state completely.
- Baron's pretty much finished, and his sound effects have been added.. I'm just gonna tweak his Earthquake Smash a bit more since he can hit you in the air with it still and he shouldn't be able to. Also need to do a slight AI update to him so he'll only Earth Smash if you're blocking (since that attack is unblockable)

There's also been other tweaks to the gameplay that you may or may not notice! Tweaking is fun.. ;)
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

:(
I fear you forgot to remova the DP only code before uploading.
I'll see my map in it, did you tweaked the Baron's ai? :D is way too easy to aproach it by the back.
And a thing i would sugest, the spining atack is way to cheap, it knocks everything. Can you make it consume a little hp or mp to prevent people of abuse it?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad wrote:Image
:(
I fear you forgot to remova the DP only code before uploading.
I'll see my map in it, did you tweaked the Baron's ai? :D is way too easy to aproach it by the back.
And a thing i would sugest, the spining atack is way to cheap, it knocks everything. Can you make it consume a little hp or mp to prevent people of abuse it?
Oops, I recorded the demo in Darkplaces. The game should play as normal it's just you won't see the beginning demo.

Yeah I tweaked AI so you can sneak up behind them, but I'm gonna make it a bit harder to do that. Basically don't run behind them or they'll hear you and attack!

Actually, I do plan to tweak the spin attack. It'll take mana and depending
on how much you have the stronger the spin attack is, however the spin attack can only reach up to a certain strength and only removes the mana it needs or less.
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Tyne could you create PAK files and add dc binds for newer versions? Just to make it easier for dc user...
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Moi: Not till I actually release it finished.

I'm working on more spells now! Ice Field and Beam Shot should be finished soon ... the new version is a bit more powerful in terms of what mappers are able to do with the enemy AI, also fixed some collision detection bugs. Also found a bug where if a monster hits another monster the hit sprite shows up still (it shouldn't), fixed that too.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Tyne wrote:Moi: Not till I actually release it finished.

I'm working on more spells now! Ice Field and Beam Shot should be finished soon ... the new version is a bit more powerful in terms of what mappers are able to do with the enemy AI, also fixed some collision detection bugs. Also found a bug where if a monster hits another monster the hit sprite shows up still (it shouldn't), fixed that too.
Colision detection, that little map i've done shows some neat ittle things eh? Did you noticed the knights over the platforms? Tey can hit you even if you are vertically under the, and vice-versa.
And i love to see how the dogs enter the castle in your pursuit when you run from them :)
Can you turn accessible the entity light_toch_small_walltorch?
The combo animations are better looking indeed. But the 3rd move of the combo doesn't work for the Barons, they recover and atack canceling it.
Can't wait for your new improvements.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

First off, new version! way more tweaks in this one, includes a new map01ag with item pickups like a mana potion! Also some neat features such as Knight enemies jumping off the cliff in the background to fight you (It isn't finished yet however..).

And best of all, a completely new spell called "Ice Field"
Nice eh? Well the spell menu now has sounds, also it has 4 spells but you cannot cast the Beam Shot because I haven't worked on it yet but it'll be added soon.

What's left to do that I can think of at the moment is add that Baron AI I talked earlier about, add a tiny bit more graphical effects and sounds to Ice Field (before the spell is actually launched) and then work on Beam Shot.

DCmad wrote:Colision detection, that little map i've done shows some neat ittle things eh? Did you noticed the knights over the platforms? Tey can hit you even if you are vertically under the, and vice-versa.
That's been completely and utterly fixed in the latest version that I've just uploaded. They don't even try and attack you now if you're out of sight, also you can no longer jump under those wooden beam things - this is to prevent stupid looking gameplay situations. Oh, I also included your map in this release because it proved useful for AI testing and more ...

I'll add that now.
The combo animations are better looking indeed. But the 3rd move of the combo doesn't work for the Barons, they recover and atack canceling it.
Can't wait for your new improvements.
You mean the 3rd attack in the Vigil Slice Special? I can hit 'em with it, just gotta do it quickly .. they're suppoused to be tough enemies which they prove they are.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Tyne wrote:That's been completely and utterly fixed in the latest version that I've just uploaded. They don't even try and attack you now if you're out of sight, also you can no longer jump under those wooden beam things - this is to prevent stupid looking gameplay situations. Oh, I also included your map in this release because it proved useful for AI testing and more ...
:)
I'll try the newer versions after i convert ajay()'s movie to mpeg.
If you want, i can send you the updated castle.bsp i did. Sadlly enough i am still bad with texturing, still using the original quake textures, changed them too, but it's a placeholder, i can change it anytime. Oh, i think my architetures improved a bit :)
Tyne wrote:
I'll add that now.
Maybe i can inprove even more my maping skills :D
Tyne wrote:You mean the 3rd attack in the Vigil Slice Special? I can hit 'em with it, just gotta do it quickly .. they're suppoused to be tough enemies which they prove they are.
Ops, maybe i must try to be less rythmic and just smash the atack buttons hehehehehe

So how it's going with Evenom?
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Bad thing is winquake, the Ice Field spell isn't so cutie as yours, don't have transparencies.

The three spells untill now don't make great deal of HP, so could it have invincibility in the frames of animation, so enemies cannot cancel it, the Ice Field suffers a lot with the frames of animation in the start.

What i said about the colision detection, good thing you've done with monsters don't trying to hit me, but see it:
I can cheat and kill them :)

Map01ag is wonderful, big and full of details. Wish i could map like RPG, kudos for him.
Oh yeah, i didn't saw the pickup items on the stage, you'll still implement it eh? Don't forget to tell me what to call the entity. misc_mpot?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Yeah lack of transparencies really does hurt Winquake which is exactly the reason things "blink in and out" or have every second pixel cut (dithering) out, to simulate the effects of transparency. Sega Genesis games uses this as did some lower-end Sega Saturn games (Saturn can do transparencies, it's just some developers are lazy). Here's a tip, if you run the mod in full screen then the blinking goes so fast it really does look transparent in Winquake. :)

Whoops, I missed out on updating the spin attack to comply with the fix I implemented! Fixed now. The point of Ice Field is to run away, use it, then sucker your enemies into running into it, as they freeze you can smack them around because otherwise if you just watch them freeze it's kinda weak. It's more a trap spell, it's perfect. :)

I'll be uploading a newer version very shortly since I fixed more stuff, changed the lightning spell sound (it's less annoying by far and sounds a lot better overall), fixed the magic menu pop up sound (it wasn't being played), and completed more ice field graphical effects.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Hummmmm
I was talkin about spells in general, is a bit anoying to have only 40MP, try to cast lightning spell and get whacked by a knight (they move fast :)) loosing the last MP in vain.
You game is even better than the first previews, lets see the running slash atack :D

Eh, mind you in seeing that castle.zip in the same link in your inbox? I would like to see what you think...
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Another new version has been released, Ice Field is completed and a magical charge sound effect has been added (it was taken from Guardian Heroes, I love that charge sound :P). Also there's more graphical effects overall, and I fixed more of those collision detection bugs.. it should be pretty flawless now.

Oh the lightning spell got an update with it's sound scheme and is overall a lot less painful on the ears to hear, also fixed the demo and other things.

Now to work on Vigil's biggest, most bad ass spell, Beam Shot!

DCmad: I don't see anything in my inbox :\ .. Running slash attack will be in ofcourse, I've just been lazy adding it in - I'm more concerned on finishing the spells and there's only 1 more left to do! ;) I'm not adding any invincibility for casting spells, I may plan to add an arena you can fight in for multiplayer and knocking the other player out of a spell would prove useful.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Tyne cool work so far, I hope you try to make this game unique in some way and not just another typical hack n slasher if you know what i mean, they can get repetative . Maybe you can come up with some innovative ideas to make this stand out.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Try playing it, it's not your typical hack 'n slash really. It's more a cross over of an RPG, Fighting game, and 2D Brawler but at heart it is really a 2D brawler .. but a really good one; a lot more fun then BoR.
Gokuma
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Gokuma »

At the part of map01 where you can get in the background there's also a high up ledge up close in the foreground you can jump onto. Seems like there should be a secret there but apparently there's nothing there right now.