The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCmad »

WRAGGSTER wrote:holy smokes, more releases :)

any chance of a link to this release and ill mirror it :)
1st post of this tread, page 1...
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

A turbo mode would be cooler as a temporary pickup, like a yellow potion you can find.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

any chance you could number these releases :)
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

made a mirror page at dcemu uk http://www.dcemu.co.uk/quakevigil.shtml
Webmaster of DCEmu

DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

@Tyne: hehe, just be sure it last enough to be a good lifesaver :)
WRAGGSTER wrote:any chance you could number these releases :)
Your best bet would be read the entire post and see how many times he uploaded a new version...
YAY! hope now in dcemu.co.uk this great game get the atention it deserves!

Ops, a thing i ever forgot to mention, in the start of level, where lies a health potion:
I wasn't jumping, just walking agains the stump... I see that Vigil tryies to walk over it, because of the inclination.

Also, see this glitch i dunno how happened when i got killed and the screen got rotated (as in normal quake when you die)

Also, can you or RPG or any mapper explain me this?
Is it clipping due to the depth/size of my scenary?
The r_speeds is normal... 300~425 polys :(
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

if you or tyne would like newsposting access to promote all the quake releases ill be glad to give it :)

im in charge of both DC Homebrew and DCEmu UK so youll have a nice audience, let me know ;)
Webmaster of DCEmu

Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad wrote:Ops, a thing i ever forgot to mention, in the start of level, where lies a health potion:
I wasn't jumping, just walking agains the stump... I see that Vigil tryies to walk over it, because of the inclination.
That's a quake engine thing, I've tried fixing it but no luck - I think it's there forever.
Also, see this glitch i dunno how happened when i got killed and the screen got rotated (as in normal quake when you die)
*sigh* .. I thought I fixed this problem. I've added more checks to make sure it doesn't happen now ..
Also, can you or RPG or any mapper explain me this?
Is it clipping due to the depth/size of my scenary?
I'll ask RPG!
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

WRAGGSTER wrote:if you or tyne would like newsposting access to promote all the quake releases ill be glad to give it :)

im in charge of both DC Homebrew and DCEmu UK so youll have a nice audience, let me know ;)
Thank you very mutch for the offer. But i think it's for Tyne only, as i'm here only giving feedback to him.
I wish more and more people starts to comment his efforts now with your boost. His mods are really stunning.
Tyne's Codename: Evenom and ajay()'s Lunkin's Journey both took a long time to finish (LJ still to come), and i see so less people talkin here on these boards, really weird. Hope it changes now, and i'll be willing to help promote it.
The Ascension of Vigil begun as a Tyne's side project and is growing fast. He's puting so much effort in it. It'll be very polished too.

When the day come, maybe a image with these mods and NxQuake would be a great thing to have.
I was thinking in upload a image with TAoV, Evenom, Raptors, Twisted Xmas and maybe Bulldog Stadium (if i can find the download anywhere). Everything packed with RADquake Finito. But i don't wanna spoil the greatness of NxQuake with a medium level engine, even with Moi's great changes to it. And if anyone want me to do it, just PM. Also i don't know how this mods work in that engine.
And of course i'll need a little explanations too.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

DCmad wrote:Is it clipping due to the depth/size of my scenary?
Set the cvars r_maxedges and r_maxsurfs to 4000.
DCmad wrote:I was thinking in upload a image with (...) and maybe Bulldog Stadium
The maps in Bulldog Stadium have a problem with fullbrights. I removed the fullbrights from its pallete and fixed a few things in its QC code when I was using this mod to test skybox support.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Fragger just loves to fix up mods.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Fragger wrote:
DCmad wrote:Is it clipping due to the depth/size of my scenary?
Set the cvars r_maxedges and r_maxsurfs to 4000.
Tyne, please explain to him that i'm not inside qc yet... I apreciate his help, but i dunno what to do with these cvars :(
Hey, it goes in the config.cfg right?
@Fragger: Ok, agora fala portugu?s pra mim, chapa :D

EDIT: Got it to work with OpenQuartz paks.
Due to its open nature, the dogs and hellknights got theyr models swaped by a blue thing and a invisible mage respectively.
And many sounds can't be played.
Needless to say i like the idea of dogs don't being quake dogs, but the hellknight is weird.
Maybe Tyne can come up with other free models for them in the near future.
Also i got everything in a pak0.pak with my latest castle.bsp inside.
BTW, what's called the map after map01.bsp? i renamed my map to map02.bsp, but the game freezes after i finish map01.
Last edited by DCmad on Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad, those commands can be entered into the console too. Anything that goes into your config files or autoexec files can be modified in realtime in the console!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

N?o adicione comandos ao config.cfg porque ele ? reescrito toda vez que voc? desliga o jogo, consequentemente apagando quaisquer comandos que voc? tenha adicionado. T? certo que isso n?o acontece no Dreamcast, mas ? sempre bom fazer as coisas do jeito certo.

Ao inv?s de editar o config.cfg, use o autoexec.cfg. Se o autoexec.cfg n?o existir no diret?rio ou nos arquivos .pak do mod, crie um arquivo de texto no diret?rio do mod e renomeie-o pra autoexec.cfg.
Tyne, please explain to him that i'm not inside qc yet...
Isso n?o tem nada a ver com QC. Cvars s?o "vari?veis de console", que cont?m valores que regulam algumas fun??es, geralmente fun??es da engine. As cvars r_maxedges e r_maxsurfs, digamos assim, definem at? que dist?ncia a geometria do mapa ? processada.

S? pra constar, expliquei de um jeito bem simples porque n?o sei o quanto voc? entende dessas coisas. :)

Ah, e se voc? usa o MSN messenger me mande uma mensagem particular com o e-mail que voc? usa nele. N?o uso icq desde o ano passado...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Fragger wrote:N?o adicione comandos ao config.cfg porque ele ? reescrito toda vez que voc? desliga o jogo, consequentemente apagando quaisquer comandos que voc? tenha adicionado. T? certo que isso n?o acontece no Dreamcast, mas ? sempre bom fazer as coisas do jeito certo.

Ao inv?s de editar o config.cfg, use o autoexec.cfg. Se o autoexec.cfg n?o existir no diret?rio ou nos arquivos .pak do mod, crie um arquivo de texto no diret?rio do mod e renomeie-o pra autoexec.cfg.
Tyne, please explain to him that i'm not inside qc yet...
Isso n?o tem nada a ver com QC. Cvars s?o "vari?veis de console", que cont?m valores que regulam algumas fun??es, geralmente fun??es da engine. As cvars r_maxedges e r_maxsurfs, digamos assim, definem at? que dist?ncia a geometria do mapa ? processada.

S? pra constar, expliquei de um jeito bem simples porque n?o sei o quanto voc? entende dessas coisas. :)

Ah, e se voc? usa o MSN messenger me mande uma mensagem particular com o e-mail que voc? usa nele. N?o uso icq desde o ano passado...
!Ay caramba! No etiendo nada :wink:
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Moi wrote:!Ay caramba! No etiendo nada ;)
:D
Sorry for that, we are brazilians, we speak portuguese, not spanish.
I'll make sure i'll translate everything next time i get a nationalism crisis ;)

@Fragger: Thanks for the info. Although i am not into quake things, i already had my bit of programing, so you don't need to take so easy on me. thanks again.
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

DCmad wrote:BTW, what's called the map after map01.bsp? i renamed my map to map02.bsp, but the game freezes after i finish map01.
map01 links to a non-existant test version called map01ah. This has been fixed, along with a compile error which should make some engines like DarkPlaces a little happier. I'll send the new map version to Ren.
<Asaki> Wow! "New Technology - Enlarge Your Manhood With a Patch"
<Friction> Penis_2.0_English.exe.vbs.eml
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

DCmad wrote:
Moi wrote:!Ay caramba! No etiendo nada ;)
:D
Sorry for that, we are brazilians, we speak portuguese, not spanish.
I'll make sure i'll translate everything next time i get a nationalism crisis ;)
I know that Portuguese is spoken in Brazil.
But since both Portuguese and Spanish are Romanian languages I actually could understand something. ;)
So this would be "Entiendo un poco" then. ;)

And when using OpenQuartz I would suggest to extract all files from pak0-pak4 and pack them in one PAK0.pak.

A good combination would also be to use the Quake Shareware PAK0.pak AND Openquartz PAK0.pak. (One of them must be called PAK1.pak)
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Just tried it out; you never fail to impress, Tyne ;). As usual, my test platforms were Tenebrae and plain old GLquake, both of which played the game fine. Controls were tight, gameplay was good, and design--like always--was superb. Of course, the Quake "slope slip" is a little obnoxious in a few places, but that can't really be avoided.

The only problem I noticed was that, in Tenebrae, the "boss" character at the end of the level had a weird animation glitch. Whenever he moved, the model would flicker and essentially "ghost" itself. I don't really know quite how to describe it. The problem was not present in GLquake, however.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Tyne, can you say me if you plan to replace the hell knight model from the mod?
Using Openquartz paks, everything works well, minus for hell knights having their models replaced.
As Moi has said, i unpacked everything from the 4 OpenQuartz paks in a folder and built everything in 1 pak1.pak. Used the shareware pak0.pak and deleted dog.mdl and its sounds from OQ's and it worked fine, with the real dogs from quake. But the hell knight is part of the retail pak1.pak and i'm afraid of a copyright issue.
Maybe if you want to use them like the knights, who have been modified(?). Ofcourse i don't understand so well of it. Maybe i can just to borrow the hknight.mdl from full's pak1.pak, but i dunno.
Any idea?

Regarding the mod, talking with Fragger, i remembered a thing. In the Vigil Uppercut Slice and Head Smash he moves far back and forward on screen depth, making hard to know where to land. EG: try to forward jump and deliver a Head Smash on a enemy. He moves Down when performing the move (movedown, not vigil's down)
I see it ocurred way back when i asked you for more air controll. Now i'm wondering, if you give this movement freedom only for righ and left?
Like, you jump, but in mid air, the only moves are moveleft and moveright.
I hope you get it, and it's simple to do :)

BTW, OpenQuartz has some neat models you shold give a try.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad wrote:Tyne, can you say me if you plan to replace the hell knight model from the mod?
Using Openquartz paks, everything works well, minus for hell knights having their models replaced.
As Moi has said, i unpacked everything from the 4 OpenQuartz paks in a folder and built everything in 1 pak1.pak. Used the shareware pak0.pak and deleted dog.mdl and its sounds from OQ's and it worked fine, with the real dogs from quake. But the hell knight is part of the retail pak1.pak and i'm afraid of a copyright issue.
Maybe if you want to use them like the knights, who have been modified(?). Ofcourse i don't understand so well of it. Maybe i can just to borrow the hknight.mdl from full's pak1.pak, but i dunno.
Any idea?

Regarding the mod, talking with Fragger, i remembered a thing. In the Vigil Uppercut Slice and Head Smash he moves far back and forward on screen depth, making hard to know where to land. EG: try to forward jump and deliver a Head Smash on a enemy. He moves Down when performing the move (movedown, not vigil's down)
I see it ocurred way back when i asked you for more air controll. Now i'm wondering, if you give this movement freedom only for righ and left?
Like, you jump, but in mid air, the only moves are moveleft and moveright.
I hope you get it, and it's simple to do :)

BTW, OpenQuartz has some neat models you shold give a try.
I'm keeping Hellknights in, they fit the mod perfectly and they're just so cool because they're so damn evil. Regarding the up/down midair movement, when doing moves in midair don't hold UP/DOWN then do the attack, just tap 'em both together and it works fine... if I get more complaints about it though I'll scrap up/down air movement..