The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCmad »

Tyne wrote:Forgot to mention: being able to move into that platform is completely intentional, it's called a "jump block" entity and is only solid if you're
above it. Just like 2D platformer games you can jump through it and on top of it - quite a new thing for quake too. Smile
Oh, man. Now you said, it doesn't bother at all, it's like the old platformers like mario huh? It helps to jump over a platform and so :)
Update:
DCMad's request has been filled and there is now air control, I also modified Vigil's Uppercut Slice and now it moves forward slightly making it easier to use and shadows now flicker at high speed to fake transparency even more (also capcom 2D games did this too, so it's kinda traditional)
Tomorrow I'll make the collision detection for WinQuake!
Thanks, thanks, thanks.
Now i'll d/l and see it. I think is more enjoyable than ever.
Saddly enough, i couldn't run the darkplaces engine, it changed my screen resolution, keeps loading forever and froze up my windows2k :(
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

try renaming/removing opengl32.dll in your /quake/ folder then running darkplaces.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Tyne wrote:try renaming/removing opengl32.dll in your /quake/ folder then running darkplaces.
the only dlls on my quake folder are zlib.dll and libjpeg.dll, darkplaces.exe and darkplaces-dedicated.exe. some folder with various mods and some shortcuts to them, ID1 folder, the zip with source from darkplaces and dpextensions.qc
my pc it's not so good, celeron 850mhz, sis730 gfx card, i think is the directx9.0c ruining everything, curse the time i installed that piece of crap :evil:

BTW, your mod is very more enjoyable now with the jumps, it's better than i waited.
sorry for being too demanding, i know it's you side project. but do you plan to implement any run function? i think quake itself don't allow some sort of double tap in a direction for this, but maybe the old bind "shift" +run do the trick.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Hmm running eh, I'll give it a shot! First I'm gonna work on the magic system which is properly added already (the menu part anyways). I just need to have it shoot out spells now.

*deletes superstart.wav*
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

o.O you stop to a coffee at least? :P
and, since the 2nd preview (when i remembered to use it) i ever forget to say, the desperation move is cuttie hehehehe
can i dream of it leveling up, with more sprks comin out? hoohohohohohoho
fire and ice spell too woot
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Desperation move is removed, it was just temporary!
I drink tea ;)

You can dream of leveling up your spells atleast which will kick ass, at first Vigil will shoot 1 fireball from his hand, adding points into INT will allow him to shoot up to 6(!) at once. They're also homing.
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

DCmad wrote:sis730 gfx card
I've never even heard of that card, it's probably unsupported by Darkplaces.

With any luck, try this OpenGL wrapper:

http://www.altsoftware.com/products/opengl-directx.html
POOPOO
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

CheapAlert wrote:
DCmad wrote:sis730 gfx card
I've never even heard of that card, it's probably unsupported by Darkplaces.

With any luck, try this OpenGL wrapper:

http://www.altsoftware.com/products/opengl-directx.html
Silicon Integrated Systems, SiS630/730, onboard, i think the worse card they could publish. I haven't opengl suport nor anything. Barelly D3D but the evil directx9.0c is killing my gaming experiences :(
I got the 20041006 darkplaces from the very LordHavoc's site, it doesn't freeze my pc, but executes a ilegal action and closes.
Can somebody put the folder directory here, i got every DP files on root of quake folder along with id1 folder, no opengl32.dll file there :(

BTW, hey Tyne, any changelogs on TAoV yet? i'm eager to see your new magic system. wonder how is coming your winquake colision detection too.

shame is that so few people posting in this tread, i think i'll search any other boarrd too ;)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad wrote: BTW, hey Tyne, any changelogs on TAoV yet? i'm eager to see your new magic system. wonder how is coming your winquake colision detection too.

shame is that so few people posting in this tread, i think i'll search any other boarrd too ;)
nope, I don't usally make changelogs.. I should though, just never really thought of it I kinda just play the game over and over and tweak it for perfection. :)

The magic system is coming along, I didn't get a chance to work on it yesterday and I may not tonight since I have a bit of homework to do but over the weekend I expect it'll be finished.

The collision detection is almost complete, it's a port of darkplaces findradius(); method to QuakeC. There's some minor things to fix it in such as:

- Collision detection can only hit 1 entity at a time, meaning your attack will hit 1 monster but ignore the other. I'll need to make a chain for it to be fixed up.

This is optional but I prefer it:
Right now the collision detection works differently for monsters then player, I had to do a find(world, netname, "solid"); which makes any entity with the string netname as "solid" searched for by the collision detection, only problem is it's sometimes ignore entities for no reason.. I can hit monsters for example, but they can't hit me.
I made a cheap hack around it so if an entity like a knight has FL_MONSTER flag on then it searches directly for just "classname" "player" during the find(); subroutine.. I'd like it so "netname" "solid" worked on the dummy bot you control (Vigil).
I'll talk to LordHavoc as soon as I can and ask him for advice in fixing it, it's a pretty neat function so far. :)
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

very nice work Tyne ! i will download it now and have some fun, also, i will see the files, maybe i can help you out, with some maps, models our code :P

if you want, of course
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

good to see you have ideas for it, it's bad when you can't think in a workarround for a problem ;)
hehehe i wasn't asking for a progress eh, just wondering what you have done, thanks for caring in replying.
:( i'm still stucked with winquake, must find a way to run darkplaces...
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Windows OpenGL Note: DarkPlaces requires OpenGL, if it does not work for you in windows first make sure your graphics card is capable of running glquake, if you encounter problems try GLSetup, but no guarentees. And make sure you do NOT have a opengl32.dll file in your quake directory unless you have a 3DFX card (see 3DFX instructions below)
Is what LordHavoc has to say in his download section (http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/download.html)
Oh great God, i need to change this gfx board ASAP
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

New version uploaded!

This version contains the new hit detection method, you'll notice it's easier to hit people now. The only thing the hit detection lacks is looking for multiple entities at once, right now if you attack it'll only hit 1 monster even though there's 2 in your swords path; this changes gameplay a bit, however it will be fixed soon.

By the way, has anyone tried it on Dreamcast yet?
Tell me what you think of the new hit detection system, I need to know if it's working good or not.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

I can't perform the magic atack Impulse 1 (A), it starts the movement and stays like that untill i press A again. the mensage "fireball spell cast" shows in the screen
I was expecting to see it in action, but i know you'll fix it in a blink.
The playability is better than ever, you've made wonders in this aspect. I can hit a enemy easyer now.
Funny thing (gitch?) i saw on map01ae.bsp, but it doesn't bother anything:
Try to position in this way and force your move left against the obstacle, it'll behave funny ;) unless it doesn't happen in wrong places, it's only a funny glitch, i think. Even because this map is incomplete.

I got the frozen enemies bug nomore.

BTW, i've saw some funkyness in the progs folder. What is the ani.mdl thing? you aventure in streets of rage universe? it's cool indeed ;)
Oh, just saw there's no model for the fireball in the folder. Is that why it cannot execute anything?

Jumping is cool, hit detection is in the right way, shadows are implemented (but i think it works better in darkplaces, it's little funny on winquake), sound and sfx fits perfectlly.
I think you shoul re-upload the rar, as there's no fireball model (should it?) and the ani.mdl i think mustn't be there :)

Why so little feedback here on this forum?
If i get some spare cd-rs, i'll try it on radquake final, maybe winquake too.

EDIT: transformed one img in link :)
Last edited by DCmad on Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad wrote:I can't perform the magic atack Impulse 1 (A), it starts the movement and stays like that untill i press A again. the mensage "fireball spell cast" shows in the screen. I was expecting to see it in action, but i know you'll fix it in a blink.
That's the unfinished magic system, I've started it but I'm still finishing it off. I'll have fireball in by tonight!
The playability is better than ever, you've made wonders in this aspect. I can hit a enemy easyer now.
I got the frozen enemies bug nomore.
Yep, it seems I've managed to squash all bugs. :) *hugs himself*
It truly plays like a commercial product now.
BTW, i've saw some funkyness in the progs folder. What is the ani.mdl thing? you aventure in streets of rage universe? it's cool indeed ;)
Oh, just saw there's no model for the fireball in the folder. Is that why it cannot execute anything?
ani.mdl is what I was using to animate Vigil, the model comes from my "2DCamera" mod that I released during Quake Expo. 2D Camera allows mod authors to easily create their own 2D side scrolling games (with some quake experience, I encourged Moi to use it.. but oh well) and with some work you can make it into anything basically (this is what Envenom was born from)!
Jumping is cool, hit detection is in the right way, shadows are implemented (but i think it works better in darkplaces, it's little funny on winquake), sound and sfx fits perfectlly.
I think you shoul re-upload the rar, as there's no fireball model (should it?) and the ani.mdl i think mustn't be there :)
The shadows look fine in Winquake for me, but they don't follow slopes correctly.. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this but it's not a big deal at all.
Why so little feedback here on this forum?
If i get some spare cd-rs, i'll try it on radquake final, maybe winquake too.
Yeah it's a shame there isn't much feedback here, especially since Quake mods are often the most original and very very powerful (can't stress this enough). Anyways, I've uploaded an even more recent version! The hit detection is FINITO! Thanks to Sajt and LordHavoc for the help. :)
Give the new version a test, especially with the fixed collision detection.

You can view the source for the new radius searching function here:
http://circa1984.com/renegade/QuakeC/searchradius.txt

Small, yet powerful.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

I understand the magic now, i'll wait to see it so.
I just played the newer version, and i must say the colision detecion now is perfect. You might want to decrease the distance for a atack to connect, as i can deliver and receive atacks from enemies away from me. But it's only a detail, your searchradius() function works wonders :D
You are almost in the part where you just make new maps, i think it's funny :) The personage is great, the phisics and schems are going to be pearls of quake modding.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad wrote:I understand the magic now, i'll wait to see it so.
I just played the newer version, and i must say the colision detecion now is perfect. You might want to decrease the distance for a atack to connect, as i can deliver and receive atacks from enemies away from me. But it's only a detail, your searchradius() function works wonders :D
You are almost in the part where you just make new maps, i think it's funny :) The personage is great, the phisics and schems are going to be pearls of quake modding.
Magic System has just been completed, I'm currently casting Fireballs at my enemies - they home in too! :) I also noticed as well that some attacks reach too far, Upperslice is the biggest offender and I have since gone over and fixed it.

Expect a new version shortly, just need to add the Lightning Storm spell.
Oh and expect a surprise from the Knight enemies you face! hehe ;)
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

You never stop of surprising me with this mod. I lost track of what expect from evenom wich deserved much more polishing from you :wink:
I'm ready to betatest it anytime \o/

[offtopic]phisics??? oh my, time to practise my english a little...[/offtopic]
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

This is gonna sound real dumb, but I have NO experience with Quake. How do you use this mod? I tried making a pak file, but that didn't work. I tried placing all the files in the ID1 folder and that didn't work either.

(don't laugh)... :lol:
Tis my sig.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Magic system has been added and a new version has been uploaded, you get 2 spells each one has a fixed cost of mana. To increase mana just attack enemies!

Lightning Storm (45 mp):

and there's Fireball which costs 10 mp, remember these mp values may change especially with more testing.
Last edited by Tyne on Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.