The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCmad »

Got ya :)
Helknights seem to be made for medieval themes. They team up very well with barons.

Btw, i still got that death bug when the hell knight froze and don't attacked me. Togheter with a more common bug, where i die even with some HP left. I saw that various times, 9, 8, 6, 3, and even 2HP left. Weird things happen when you does the Spin Atack while being killed.
Now two changes i do when you release a new version are add the rotate flag to the bottles and add those cvars to autoexec.cfg.
Could you please see that light_small_torch_walltorches?

EDIT: Updated castle.bsp. Please note the last part of the map needs some work, there's no AI involved yet ;)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

:o
Shinkuuuuu HADOUKEEEEEEEN!!!!!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

New version released. Here's what's new in this release:

- Fire Beam spell has been added to Vigil's spell arsenel. This makes all his attacks complete unless I decide to add more. Fire Beam will get a sound upgrade next version.
- Backflip has been modified a tad to fix a bug I found.
- 1 frame of the Knight's death was incorrect, fixed.
- AI has been improved, certain types of monsters will run after you if you're far away!
- Added an additional hit sprite so it works in both directions.
- New sound effects, new animations on Vigil and new 2D sprites!
- More mapping features for you mappers.
- Updated Map01.BSP, latest version of DCMad's Castle.BSP is included
- Fixed a bug in the introduction/story line level where Vigil was in the incorrect pose.
- Replaced the music in the story line level with a new one by Bl1tz! TAoV now has all original music.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

:o Sounds great!
Insane homebrew collector.
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

When I get to the last guy, it's just a rainbow colored diamond. What causes this? I've noticed it on some other mods also.
Tis my sig.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Excalibur007 wrote:When I get to the last guy, it's just a rainbow colored diamond. What causes this? I've noticed it on some other mods also.
What engine do you use?
GLquake runs here, way too slow and some textures don't show. Looks like liquid metal ;)
Tyne wrote:- Fire Beam spell has been added to Vigil's spell arsenel. This makes all his attacks complete unless I decide to add more. Fire Beam will get a sound upgrade next version.
And once more i blame video card for not seeig the transparencie of this beauty...
Tyne wrote:- AI has been improved, certain types of monsters will run after you if you're far away!
What types?
Tyne wrote:- Added an additional hit sprite so it works in both directions.
But the Upper Slice seems to lack the last frames. It doesn't seem to move up as b4, i saw you corrected the frame count for dreamcast's sake, but it looks like is incomplete.
Tyne wrote:- More mapping features for you mappers.
And i would like to have a maping.txt for it. If you write it for us, i can build a nice HTML for you to upload :)
Tyne wrote:- Updated Map01.BSP, latest version of DCMad's Castle.BSP is included
And a better version is ready, but you may dislike it, as inside the castle is dark ;)
Tyne wrote:- Replaced the music in the story line level with a new one by Bl1tz! TAoV now has all original music.
And this music is wonderful. Don't know why, but remembered me of Final Fantasy 3/6. I know i must be wrong, but BAH! is beautyful \o/

Tyne, it's the first mod i like so much. I'd never acompanyed one from the early stages and must say you progress a lot in a short time :D

oops, a new bug where Vigil froze in the jump frame and i can move only jumping, not walking.
And i still see him die with HP left, weird.
I see that if he has 9HP and receive a atack wich takes 10HP, he dies. But it have to show 0HP eh? Dunno
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Excalibur007 wrote:When I get to the last guy, it's just a rainbow colored diamond. What causes this? I've noticed it on some other mods also.
Delete your /GLQuake/ directory located in your /ID1/ directory and then run the mod.
What types?
Hell Knight so far, the regular knights will also next version, Baron's always run but I found out I messed up something minor on 'em..
But the Upper Slice seems to lack the last frames. It doesn't seem to move up as b4, i saw you corrected the frame count for dreamcast's sake, but it looks like is incomplete.
The hit sprites never moved at all, they're just a static image, also I only sped up their animation which I think is better.

And i would like to have a maping.txt for it. If you write it for us, i can build a nice HTML for you to upload :)
I'll see if RPG will write one since he's more of a mapper then I am, if he doesn't want to I'll type something up although I'd rather be coding. ;)
And a better version is ready, but you may dislike it, as inside the castle is dark ;)
Dark is good!
oops, a new bug where Vigil froze in the jump frame and i can move only jumping, not walking.
Gah! *Debugs his mod*

And i still see him die with HP left, weird.
I see that if he has 9HP and receive a atack wich takes 10HP, he dies. But it have to show 0HP eh? Dunno
You're actually not dying with health left, it's just a trick to stop quake from rotating the screen when you die.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

If you're running it in GLQuake, Try deleting the "Glquake" directory from the ID1 directory.
Tyne wrote:- AI has been improved, certain types of monsters will run after you if you're far away!
DCmad wrote:What types?
Dogs?
DCmad wrote:a better version is ready
Will you post a link to it or will it be released in the next version of TAOV?
DCmad wrote:it have to show 0HP eh?
No. When the health is less than 1 the engine rotates the screen:
Someday, sometime, I'd like to add a cvar to disable this engine feature.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Fragger wrote:
If you're running it in GLQuake, Try deleting the "Glquake" directory from the ID1 directory.
Deja vu?
Fragger wrote:
DCmad wrote:a better version is ready
Will you post a link to it or will it be released in the next version of TAOV?
I'll upload it and post here the link when i tweak the lights some more. I'm discontent with it. Hope i don't break anything ;)
Fragger wrote:
DCmad wrote:it have to show 0HP eh?
No. When the health is less than 1 the engine rotates the screen
Oops, now i see. Sorry for reporting it as a bug.
Fragger wrote:Someday, sometime, I'd like to add a cvar to disable this engine feature.
Great thing you would do :D
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Nice map update, I like the area where you fight the hell knight. Are you going to expand the level some more?
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Tyne wrote:Nice map update, I like the area where you fight the hell knight. Are you going to expand the level some more?
I'm just now thinking in a kind of village level, and if it looks right i'll append a piece of this before entering the castle. A village level with some wooden houses, daylight time or even the sunset skyboxes with dramatic lights.
And it takes to the castle level, beggining in the end of the village and with nigh skyboxes.
Of course if i have the skills, you and Fragger helped me a lot.
I think it will be a good theme, as i dislike the area otside the castle, it kind of don't tell a history :)
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Hope i can materialize the ideas i have for this.
And for above, i thought in adding a part o?f this village with a night skyboxes just befro entering the castle. Ideas wellcome. It most probably will change a lot ;)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

New Version
---------------

- I recoded all of Vigil's death routines, so hopefully this will finally fix it.
- Firebeam Spell has been tweaked, it's a tad more graphical, has a new additional sound effect, and has been balanced in terms of it's length
- Combo Counter! Now you can see how many hits per every second you can chain up! :) It also gives you congratulation messages depending on how huge your combo was.
- Optmized loading times! Instead of precaching everything per level change I used the same method as Envenom to only precache exactly what was needed only for the game to run. You'll notice the title screen and introduction level load up especially quick!

DCMad: That Village looks nice :o Hey how about after you're done with your levels you can send 'em to me so I can add some final touchs?
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

I'm not sure how this works, But is there any way to test these updates without burning a new CD Every time? I've burned 3 previous versions so far, and I'm getting low on cd's =\

I have the Full version of quake, but I'm unsure of how to do windows pak's.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Play it on the PC instead!

quakeengine.exe -game <directory>

Root:
/Quake/
/Quake/Medieval/
/Quake/Medieval/progs.dat
/Quake/Medieval/Progs/<models>

It should be extracted like so.

That'll run the mod as long as you extract the directories fine and tell it to use the game directory Medieval. Another option is to use MULTI SESSION cds and use RADQuake 4.3 since it has a mod menu!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I'm working on a new graphical menu! It doesn't use centerprint at all, quite an accomplishment and I'm not aware of any other quake mod that offers this feature. The menu is very professionally done in terms of it's mechanics!

Last edited by Tyne on Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Battle mode == 2 player's 1on1?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Indeed, it will also feature a practice dummy to kick around (if you select 1 player).
The menu is now completely finished on my computer here (aside from graphical touch ups) and it even has new menu music by Bl1tz.. TAoV is lookin' pretty damn professional now! : D

I'm gonna delay this release however, minor tweaking on certain things is needed and I also want to implement an experience/leveling up system.

Good stuff to look forward to in the next release! ;)