The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tyne »

Segata Sanshiro wrote:Cool! Will it run on DC once selfbooted?
Perhaps, I have freed up some RAM.
I've got my XP running again, I'm also now saving for a new hard drive - NEVER BUY FROM MAXTOR!

Anyways update list:
----

- New voice acting for Vigil done by me
- Vigil taunts his enemies on special moves
- Disabled some of Vigil's limits, now you can head smash after a mid-air spin attack as well as more new chains in combos!
- You can move Vigil around more in mid air after a wall jump
- Reduced RAM usage by approximately 600k
- New Maps: CastleE.bsp, ncastle.bsp (New castle, far from completion)
- Minor bugs fixed or any annoyances I discovered
- New graphics in Darkplaces
- Now uses Joy2Key for perfect joystick usage!
- Fixed a bug where Vigil would slide down slopes super fast in Darkplaces
- New camera angle system implemented
- Vol'Brand sword may now be upgraded at the blacksmiths
- Added a priest in the Village Church who may heal you as well as giving your mana back
- You're invunerable (can't be hit) while doing a counter attack
- Ghoul in the Dungeon map is changed
- New deathmatch map "Arena2" should appear very familar :)
- Updated some maps to reflect changes in the world being put together
- Slightly smarter AI once again
- Knights are tweaked again, they no longer smash you backwards hard either or guard break
- New music track done by me
- Twister shouldn't bug enemies out anymore (Whoops)

Tons more tweaks/changes/fixes obviously, this version has been in development for awhile; if you played the last version you'll notice this one feels completely solid.

With that said ...
TAoV is nearing completion!
Last edited by Tyne on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Sorry to hear about your Maxtor problems. I've always had the best luck with Seagate and Western Digital drives. Incidentally, the Seagate campus is about three blocks away from my friend Robert's house in Scotts Valley. I drive past it every week on my way to play D&D.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Seagate is great, and best of all -- it's very silent. I took a long time to get used to the lack of noise from my hard drive :lol:.

Unfortunately, sometimes Makaqu crashes in a couple maps as soon as the map starts and the first frame appears on the screen. One of the maps is castle2, and the other I can't remember right now. The weird thing is that it seems to work after I play for some time in a few other maps first.

By the way, this version is very, very good. And the maps are even more impressive. Good job.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Fragger wrote:Unfortunately, sometimes Makaqu crashes in a couple maps as soon as the map starts and the first frame appears on the screen. One of the maps is castle2, and the other I can't remember right now. The weird thing is that it seems to work after I play for some time in a few other maps first.
Maybe that's why I couldn't get the previous release working on DC?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

A few of the previous releases didn't work on the DC because they were compiled with FTEQCC (and I don't know why this happens when compiling with FTEQCC). IIRC there was at least one other release that didn't work because of a sprite file.

As for the previous release, I don't know, because I've not burnt it on a disc. Tyne said he will work on getting TAoV to work on the DC when TAoV is finished, so I'm waiting for the final (PC) version.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Fragger wrote: Unfortunately, sometimes Makaqu crashes in a couple maps as soon as the map starts and the first frame appears on the screen. One of the maps is castle2, and the other I can't remember right now. The weird thing is that it seems to work after I play for some time in a few other maps first.

By the way, this version is very, very good. And the maps are even more impressive. Good job.
Very odd, I have no trouble loading the maps initially at all; however using that teleporter crashes every time. Castle 2 aside from what I reported seems fine.

Also, thanks for the support! I do love Vigil's new voice acting in this =)
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

I wish someone would release an SBI or a CD-image. I did not manage to get it to work when putting it all together with Maqaku. But I might have missed something, so Ill take another look around the documentation.
This release seems very impressive as usual so it would be really nice to try, even though it apparantly crashes on DC sometimes.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Is it supposed to work on Makaqu Dreamcast?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

It should theoretically, if it works under Makaqu for windows (which is packed as TAoV.exe by the way) then it will also run on Dreamcast; however it may not because of the Dreamcast's RAM limitations! This is why a special Dreamcast/Low-end version shall also be released - also for framerate optimizations.

Still though, give it a shot! I've freed up quite a chunk of RAM which will help.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

I selfbooted and burned 2 CDs, one with Makaqu and one with Titanium quake... i guess that its due to my lack of knoledge, but i had no luck with either of them. The Titanium version just said it doesnt support VGA.
The Makaqu booted OK, but when beginning a new game an error message pops up, something like "joy_8 command not found", or something similar to that.
When playing on the PC the Makqu version crashes when exiting the first level, the GLTAoV doesnt do anything when approaching the "loading" part at the end of the level, but i'm sure that its just something i didnt read or unrestand.

Tyne, i would like to say, great job man!!!! I never quite kept up with the development process of Vigil, but, man, this game is addictive!!! Very, very well done man!!!! I would dare to say that when its ready it would be the homebrew game for the DC.

Keep up the great work !!!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: When playing on the PC the Makqu version crashes when exiting the first level, the GLTAoV doesnt do anything when approaching the "loading" part at the end of the level, but i'm sure that its just something i didnt read or unrestand.

Tyne, i would like to say, great job man!!!! I never quite kept up with the development process of Vigil, but, man, this game is addictive!!! Very, very well done man!!!! I would dare to say that when its ready it would be the homebrew game for the DC.

Keep up the great work !!!
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. The crashing after the first level is because level 2 (The Caves) is unreleased, you'll have to manually change maps using the console as there are way more levels to play with new enemies and challenges. I recommend reading the readme as it talks about this.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

I recommend reading the readme as it talks about this.
Sorry about that :oops: im sure there was an explanation for the level crash, im just too lazy to read and wanted to tell my experiences here.

I read in another topic that you love 'zombie revenge', me too, but when i played a little of TAoV i would dare to say that it plays better, its more entertainning and addictive!!

Keep it up man!!
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

great game, cant wait to play the whole version on the dreamcast :)

btw, i watched some multiplayer movies on youtube und the looked much like a smash brothers like game :) can we add in the final version new characters or maps? would love to see a smash brothers game on the dc
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

if ren animated vigil in blender then i'd use the same skeleton and produce crap like THE ASCENSION OF LEILEI or something.
POOPOO
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Here's some fun exploits I found in the latest version you people can have fun with:

1. Vigil can run back and forth between a back wall gaining height. First grab a wall, then jump off and wall run across it, grab the next wall and do it again! I'm going to keep this in as a feature and require the player to do this move; I find it cool as hell.

2. Vigil can ascend a single wall as long as there's a flat background wall beside it. Similar to the trick above, this time jump off the wall and wall run back towards the wall; this is an oversight on my part and has been fixed.

Pretty cool, but the 2nd one is a bit silly; this has been caused by allowing the player to control their jumps mid air after a wall jump. Also I added a slight tweak in the next version, Vigil can wall run immediately after a wall grab instead of having to run before grabbing the wall.

I'm also adding more monsters. Whee!

Edit: "Troglod", the highest level in-game spell casting demon. More dangerous than a Baron or Arch Ghoul.

Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Alrighty, my S-Video cable for my DC died so I'm not able to do any testing whatsoever for the time being. Argh! :freaky:
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

give us .cdi images and we'll test it for you... i would
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Segata Sanshiro wrote:give us .cdi images and we'll test it for you... i would
Plain files > .CDI images. The plain files let you stick other things on the disc as well...and besides, there is no program that adequately reads .CDI files on the Mac :brickwall:
delaque
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by delaque »

this game is really awesome!!!!

i can't wait to see it finished! keep up the great work! :lol:

PS: i'm a 3d animator/modeller (using maya). if this could be a help in some way just pm me, i would love to help out!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I've released a patch! It's located on the first page in the first post as usual. If anyone is up for playing every level and finding odd kinks and anything that doesn't look right please take a screenshot and post it in here; thanks. I'm trying to get the gameplay aspect completely flawless.