What else can be done on the Dreamcast?

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by crt0 »

"Doom and Quake both ran perfect on a 486/33 with 8mb at 800x600." Are you an idiot or just a moron? Doom never ran at 800x600. It ran at p320x200... Quake WOULD NOT run, if at all, at 800x600 on a 486/33... god... it barely ran on a 486/66, and with software rendering, at 320x200/320x240... there is no way in hell it would be playable at 800x600, even with univbe...
Last edited by crt0 on Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

crt0 wrote:Are you an idiot or just a moron? ...
Still charming eh?

Coding may come easy, but manners are still a bit of a struggle aren't they?

Ahh well makes a change from your out-of-date and wholly inaccurate use of the word "mongoloid".
FarmerCuckoo
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by FarmerCuckoo »

A mistake in my sentence. Let me rephrase that sentence so one less gifted can understand. Doom and Quake both ran perfect on a 486/33 with 8mb. Quake and Duke Nukem 3D most certainly did ran well on a 486/33 with 8mb at 800x600. Univbe did exactly get the stuff going.

Get everything you can in the UMB in your config.sys and autoexec.bat, run univbe and quake will play perfect on your 486/33, 8mb. Even with a 'mere' 2mb videocard. (S3 Virge DX).
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

Im gonna have to agree with crt0. Quake most certainly did not run perfect on a 486/33 at 800x600. Mabye on a 486/DX2, or better yet on a 486/DX4 it would be playable at 320x200 or 320x240. Now a 486/DX4 with a decent 3D card would probably hold up well at 512x384, mabye even 640x480. I remeber playing the pre-release test of quake on a P90 in an engineering lab. It ran ok at 320x240, but I would hardly call it perfect.

Doom on the other hand was very playable on a 486/33. Although I remember shrinking down the screen a notch to keep it nice and smooth.

We played hours and hours and hours of Duke Nukem 3D deathmatch via null modem cables. It ran pretty good on a 486/DX2 with 12MB at 320x240. But on 486/DX4 with 16MB you could bump it up to 400x300, and on my Cyrix P150 it ran really good at 400x300 or 512x384. Nobody in our group ever seriously played duke nukem at 800x600 until someone got a P166MX.

As for univbe... yes sci-tech was the shiznit.
Pxtl
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Other Doom-engine related games

Post by Pxtl »

Heretic and Hexen - they were both closely tied to the Doom engine, although I don't know if they were ever open-sourced. If Doom can be done, they most certainly can. Hexen would be schweet.

How about getting split-screen support into any of these?

There are a host of good Quake2 mods and Q2 based games (Hexen II), but Q2 might take too much power to emulate.

How about Abuse? I'm pretty sure that was open sourced - its only 2d, but its damn fun - perhaps a split-screen mode could be implemented for multiplayer?
Single player is masturbation.
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

Heretic or Hexen would definantly be cool.
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

ah ajay you still care about me enough to hang on my every word and comment on them too... mongoloid blah...
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

If by that you mean you're still a jumped-up annoying little twit who deserves any sarcasm I can be bothered to send you ..... then yes I still "care about you"

In fact I think I love you.

Btw, male or female?

You must be male, female's rarely have such delusions of grandeur.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I loved doom, I loved Quake but for some reason I never really got into Heretic and Hexen, I think it was just the medieval feel. However they should definitly be ported to DC as it wouldnt be anymore difficult than doom and it would add to the big long list we can send to Sega saying "Hey, you dumped Dreamcast...look what we did with it."
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Yes, both of those would be nice from a Game Editor's stand point since both supported level back tracking such as in Half Life, also both had some kind of impressive RPG elements which would really be nice to have acess to.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Maybe in about 5 years time somebody could go about porting Half Life. But I dont think many people will actually care and judging from how long it took Valve it would be a very big task to take on.
Maybe people should try porting some more obscure pc shoot 'em ups like corridor 7 which was pretty cool. Or porting the old Duke Nukem games (OK I know they are not first person but they were damn fun)
Pxtl
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Well..

Post by Pxtl »

I mainly want Hexen, mosly just 'cause its got the whole playerclass thing, which is rare in old FPS games (warrior, mage, cleric). Never really got into Heretic.

What about Chex? The barely-modified Doom-based game that you got if you sent in enough proofs of purchase for Chex cereal? Its the funniest TC I've ever seen.
Single player is masturbation.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

What is chex a TC for? Doom?
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Chex Quest, it used to come with Chex cereal back in the day, was basically just a DOOM TC, though you did not of course need DOOM to play it as it had it's own stand alone EXE. There is a part 3 and 4 in the works though that are TC's for DOOM, I used to have some linkz on my home page but I guess I took them down, anyhow do a search in google or something, I'm shure you'll find them all in no time.
Last edited by XDelusion on Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

What is the likleyhood of it workwing with doom dc? Or does it use the special engine features?
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Part 1 and 2 will not work wit the DC, since they use there own EXE files and what not (it's a DOOM port), though 3 and the up coming part 4 should work fine on the DC (they are DOOM TC's not ports), unless of course they use scripts in which case they may not work at all, or if they do, then the weapons damage and stuff like that will not be the same. If I still had them handy I'd try them on Vanilla DOOM and see.
LagMan
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Doom, Hexen, Heretic

Post by LagMan »

If you point your browser over to here you'll notice a great DOOM port that plays DOOM, DOOM II, Heretic, Hexen, and one other DOOM engine based game, all shareware and registered.

The engine itself is based on the Quake engine so is highly portable. I've been slowly converting in my spare time and the only part that looks like a pain is the sound (probably no music for a while). I would be doing better but i've been having issues with GCC, if I ever get it working I'll compile it and fix any errors. Some of the many benefits of this engine are:

VavoomC Scripting language - write mods for DOOM
Dynamic Lighting
Particle Effects
MD2 Model support for any objects in the game
Client server architecture (includes bots)Free look
Quake style Binds
Transparency

And practically everything else good about Quake.

Additional features will be (hopefully):

Compressed saves - including configuration
2/4 player split screen action (hopefully rigged so you can run 2+ DC's together for 8-16 player action)

Any help that anyone wants to contribute is welcome, not much progress yet as explained above but I don't have gobs of time or a working compiler. Not too much that needs porting really, it's good code. Almost done with graphics.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cool, if this gets released you will be liked.
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod

Post by crazyrom »

Duke nukem 3d 8)
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Duke Nukem 3D has allready been discussed, it cant be done.