explorable worlds?

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
spag
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

explorable worlds?

Post by spag »

i heard that with QuakeDC you can make your own 3D maps etc... but anyway... is there a way I can just make explorable maps (possibly with some objects you can gather) without having to like shoot people or anything? or not having any bloody startup screen show or anything?

i've never played quake. i just want a way to make my own 3D to explore on the dreamcast. i've have spent time with 3D etc. so making maps won't be too hard for me... i'm just wondering if this is possible.

thanks!
the_machine
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Here you go.

Post by the_machine »

;) Nobody will tackle this question..........

Here's is what you do.

Find a program called "WORLDCRAFT" --- the demo is fine (lasts forever!)

Install it on your computer and tweak with it. Read all of the read-me files (or not) and get good at making levels. If you have the intentions to play the lvl on your DC make sure they are no bigger (file size) than 1.4MB each.

Save yourself the headache and use the original quake textures.

If you dont want anything in the lvl to hurt you, just don't add them.

Make sure you put the item "INFO_PLAYERSTART" on the map so your'e player is actually there.

Save the map file : mymap.bsp in you "ID1" file

go to DCDEV and it will tell you how to add them on a DC compatable cd-r
spag
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spag »

okay cool. i had used genesis3d/jet3d/wildtangent quite a bit a while ago so i'm pretty good at using level editors. i'll give it a try.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

1.4MB isnt as important as I used to stress... Its the recommended max according to Id but 3MB is probibly the max that could work well. Expecially if the mod doesnt use any ai (uses less ram w/o ai)

The quake engine isnt good at open space. It'd be best if your world is normally somewhat indoors. But sky lowers the polycount a bit.

I know theres a .3ds to .map converter... if that helps. But worldcraft is the most used editor for Quake maps.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!