Dreamcast Optimized Doom Wads

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast Optimized Doom Wads

Post by Stryfe »

This is to be a thread for posting Dreamcast optimized Doom, or Doom 2, player made wads (pwads). This will include Nxdoom module (XM/IT/MOD) tracker wads.

I will update the list, and possibly add versions, for any future Doom port on the DC. For the time being, you can find partial BOOM support in the form of bex code pointers, and bex string replacements in NxDoom.

At least until CW possibly releases a new Doom port. :wink:

- Resource Links -
- Doom Shareware: 1.9
- Ultimate Doom: STEAM
- Doom 2: STEAM
- Doom Pack Complete: STEAM
- Freedoom (Ultimate Doom)
- Freedoom (Doom 2)
- NxDoom: 2.2beta

- Links to all pwads will be added to the second post in this thread -
Last edited by Stryfe on Sat May 07, 2011 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: Dreamcast Optimized Doom Wads

Post by Stryfe »

- Doom 1 -

Vanilla/Compatible;
* Aliens TC

NxDoom;
* Aliens TC
* Chiptune Doom (Rename to 'doom1_xm.wad')
* Doom NES Music (Rename to 'doom1_xm.wad')

- Doom 2 -

Vanilla/Compatible;
* Batman Doom
* Chex(R) Quest (Unmodified), Dehacked File
* Chex(R) Quest 2 (Unmodified)
* Eternal Doom (Unmodified)
* Hacx
* Plutonia 2 (Unmodified)

NxDoom;
* Batman Doom
* Chex(R) Quest 1 & 2
* Chiptune Doom 2 (Rename to 'doom2_xm.wad')
* Eternal Doom: Music Wad
* Hacx
* Plutonia 2
Last edited by Stryfe on Tue May 24, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Can you be more specific about what you want to see in a skinnable GUI? As long as I'm updating my Doom port, might as well update the opening interface as well. :grin:
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Chilly Willy wrote:Can you be more specific about what you want to see in a skinnable GUI? As long as I'm updating my Doom port, might as well update the opening interface as well. :grin:
Well... in the mindset of keeping it simple.

Maybe just a standard bmp/png (640x480) for a splash screen, and background? Also maybe a font file, or font config file?
ImageImageImageImage
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Doom 1;

Chiptune Doom:
- Mod Tracker Music Wad
- Author | Bloodshedder
- Use with NxDoom, ZDoom, Odamex, ...
- Rename to 'doom1_xm.wad' for use with NxDoom
Download - Local, Doomworld

Doom NES Music:
- Mod Tracker Music Wad
- Author | Bloodshedder
- Rename to 'doom1_xm.wad' for use with NxDoom

Doom 2;

Chiptune Doom 2:
- Mod Tracker Music Wad
- Author | Bloodshedder
- Rename to 'doom2_xm.wad' for use with NxDoom
ImageImageImageImage
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Batman for Doom 2;

Image Image

Tested, and working, with:
- Doom 2
- Freedoom (Complete IWAD)

Changes Common:
- Created separate music wad
- Added deh fix to 'glove' ammo
- Added deh music remap

Changes Vanilla Compatible:
- Added deh fix for weapon change bug
- Removed multiple midi track copies

Changes NxDoom:
- Converted midi to tracker format
- Added bex episode intermission, and end screen text

Download: Edited - Batman Doom

Download: Original - Batman Doom, Vanilla Fix
ImageImageImageImage
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Stryfe wrote:
Chilly Willy wrote:Can you be more specific about what you want to see in a skinnable GUI? As long as I'm updating my Doom port, might as well update the opening interface as well. :grin:
Well... in the mindset of keeping it simple.

Maybe just a standard bmp/png (640x480) for a splash screen, and background? Also maybe a font file, or font config file?
Yeah, that's not a problem. How about a "loader" screen as well? Something to display from the time the person starts Doom until the game screen is initialized.

The splash is the simplest since it's just shown for a brief period before the main background. The main background and the loader would be a little more work to be skinnable; for example, say I use a progress bar on the loader screen to show how the loading is going - I'd need to have a replaceable specification for where the bar is located in the loading screen, and how big it is... say, a loader.cfg file that contained the name of the loader image file as well as the info on the location and size of the progress bar.

XML is getting popular for config files... I could use something like minixml to handle xml files (I made a port of minixml to the PSP, so it's the xml lib I'm familiar with); so instead of loader.cfg, maybe loader.xml? Similarly for the main background, an xml file specifying things like the image and the font to use. I don't want to get TOO complicated here, but I do think a little flexibility would help, otherwise there's no sense in making it skinnable.

Thinking about the splash - splash.xml would specify the image to load, the time to show it, and maybe a sound/music file to play. Perhaps even multiple splash screens so that you could have like an overall project splash separate from the developer splash and/or specific game splash.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Okay, if you think it is doable. That sounds great. Will it effect the Dreamcast resources for the actual gameplay, or does that get cleared when a game is loaded?
ImageImageImageImage
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

- Edited version for NxDoom Only -

Tested, and working, with these iwads:
- Final Doom: Plutonia Experiment

NxDoom changes:
- Created mod tracker music wad
- Remove standard deh strings
- Added bex deh strings

Download:
Plutonia 2: Edited

To play this pwad in a vanilla compatible port, you can simply download the original archive.
It requires Final Doom's 'plutonia.wad'. It will not work correctly with Doom 2 (doom2.wad),
or with Freedoom's complete iwad.

Download:
Plutonia 2 @ Doomworld
ImageImageImageImage
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Eternal Doom;

Image Image Image

- For NxDoom Only -

This is simply a mod tracker music wad for the Doom 2 mod, 'Eternal Doom'.

This music wad has been tested with Eternal Doom, and the following iwads:
- Doom 2

Dcemulation:
Eternal Doom: Music Wad

Doomworld:
Eternal Doom
ImageImageImageImage
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Chex(R) Quest;

Image Image

- Edited version for NxDoom Only -

This is my attempt to recreate Chex Quest as accurately as possible on the Dreamcast.

Fixes include:
- Prevented ammo from being dropped
- Properly display the end game text
- Game ends after fifth level
- Removed long range attack from Flem Mine

Included in the archive is:
- Chex(R) Quest
- Chex(R) Quest 2
- Chex Quest Advanced (pwad)

- Standalone (chex.wad), with no other iwad needed

NxDoom changes:
- Created mod tracker music wad
- Added bex deh strings

Download - Edited:
Chex(R) Quest 1 & 2

To play this pwad in a vanilla compatible port, you can simply download the original archive.
It doesn't require any other wad, and will run by itself.

Download - Original:
Chex(R) Quest
Chex(R) Quest 2
Dehacked File
Chex Quest Advanced (iwad)
ImageImageImageImage
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Stryfe wrote:Okay, if you think it is doable. That sounds great. Will it effect the Dreamcast resources for the actual gameplay, or does that get cleared when a game is loaded?
The GUI takes a little space, but not much. Look at the current GUI - about 600 lines of code. The lib for Mini-XML is about 128KB total, but not all of it will wind up in the final executable. I won't be leaving the images in memory, as well, so it shouldn't take much more than it already does. Seriously, the music takes a LOT more space than ANY other part of the game right now, including the game itself! :lol:

That's why I'm always on the lookout for a decent SMALL set of instruments for MIDI. While you can throw 30 to 300 MB of MIDI instruments at a PC, ports to old consoles just can't take that. The set I use currently is about the limit for the DC.

By the way, I love the wads you're posting. I think all the various great wads are much of the reason Doom is still so popular.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Chilly Willy wrote:Seriously, the music takes a LOT more space than ANY other part of the game right now, including the game itself! :lol:

That's why I'm always on the lookout for a decent SMALL set of instruments for MIDI. While you can throw 30 to 300 MB of MIDI instruments at a PC, ports to old consoles just can't take that. The set I use currently is about the limit for the DC.

By the way, I love the wads you're posting. I think all the various great wads are much of the reason Doom is still so popular.
Have you looked at the Mininst (used by Bero's old port), Midia, Shominst-0409, or RockBox patch sets?

I know you're planning on either updating the WildMidi, or replacing it. So... would it be possible to implement a midi sequencer that supports soundbanks/soundfonts? I already tried adding a soundfont line to the timidity.cfg, but it didn't work.

Almost every Windows user has a ~4MB general midi sound bank (gm.dls) they could drop into the Doom for Dreamcast directories. Users of popular cards like the SoundBlaster series usually have 4-8MB soundfont (*.sf2) files that get loaded by the card that they could do the same with.
ImageImageImageImage
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Stryfe wrote:
Chilly Willy wrote:Seriously, the music takes a LOT more space than ANY other part of the game right now, including the game itself! :lol:

Have you looked at the Mininst (used by Bero's old port), Midia, Shominst-0409, or RockBox patch sets?
Yes. Miniinst is what I normally use (with the sawtooth replaced because the one in miniinst bogs down any processor less than 1GHz, you can see the affect when using miniinst on the PSP with DN3D or ROTT), but it's still just over 4MB. The others are even larger!
I know you're planning on either updating the WildMidi, or replacing it. So... would it be possible to implement a midi sequencer that supports soundbanks/soundfonts? I already tried adding a soundfont line to the timidity.cfg, but it didn't work.
A version of WildMidi that used soundfonts would be nice, but those "small" soundfonts are only small because they refer to the sounds in the rom (which don't exist when not on a Creative sound card). I have used unsf to dump a number of soundfonts, and none of them are usable as by the time you replace the rom-based sounds, you're back up to 8 to 10 MB again.

Almost every Windows user has a ~4MB general midi sound bank (gm.dls) they could drop into the Doom for Dreamcast directories. Users of popular cards like the SoundBlaster series usually have 4-8MB soundfont (*.sf2) files that get loaded by the card that they could do the same with.
I'm looking for a good MIDI set in the 1 to 2 MB range. I have one that I made for Doom on the Amiga, but it's not as good as I'd like. 4MB is the upper limit, and like mentioned above, I already have a good one that size (miniinst with new sawtooth).
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Chilly Willy wrote:Yes. Miniinst is what I normally use (with the sawtooth replaced because the one in miniinst bogs down any processor less than 1GHz, you can see the affect when using miniinst on the PSP with DN3D or ROTT), but it's still just over 4MB.
I didn't realize that. It must have been a different version of the archive.
Chilly Willy wrote:The others are even larger!
Is there a way to estimate how much ram each Doom track takes up with samples? It can't be the size of the entire patch-set. What range on the individual samples would be needed?

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, what about adding mod tracker support? The tracks I've converted to Nxdoom come out about 600-700kb (per doom map) at the high end. Most are in the 200-400kb range.
Chilly Willy wrote:A version of WildMidi that used soundfonts would be nice, but those "small" soundfonts are only small because they refer to the sounds in the rom (which don't exist when not on a Creative sound card). I have used unsf to dump a number of soundfonts, and none of them are usable as by the time you replace the rom-based sounds, you're back up to 8 to 10 MB again.
Doesn't a program that support loading soundfonts, either through hardware or software, simply play the wav samples contained in it? I thought a sf2 file type was simply a container format with stored waveform samples in it, and that they weren't even compressed.

Freeware wise, I believe OpenMPT can be used to extract the samples. Commercially, there's Awave. I have an older version installed to Windows 98 that I can use to extract samples, or convert between sound bank types.

Personally if it was legal to redistribute the samples, I'd attempt extracting one of the older 2MB SB Live! soundfonts.
ImageImageImageImage
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Stryfe wrote:
Chilly Willy wrote:Yes. Miniinst is what I normally use (with the sawtooth replaced because the one in miniinst bogs down any processor less than 1GHz, you can see the affect when using miniinst on the PSP with DN3D or ROTT), but it's still just over 4MB.
I didn't realize that. It must have been a different version of the archive.
The last couple releases used a different set that is larger, but most of the releases used the mini set. The last release had the larger set and the roland set. I'll probably go back to the mini set on the next one.
Chilly Willy wrote:The others are even larger!
Is there a way to estimate how much ram each Doom track takes up with samples? It can't be the size of the entire patch-set. What range on the individual samples would be needed?
No, it clearly doesn't use the whole thing. I've been meaning to make a utility that would read the instruments from a MUS file and then use the timidity.cfg to then find the size of the instruments it uses.
At the risk of sounding ridiculous, what about adding mod tracker support? The tracks I've converted to Nxdoom come out about 600-700kb (per doom map) at the high end. Most are in the 200-400kb range.
Actually, I DO plan to do just that. I've actually made a set of XMs for Doom1 as an experiment. Doom MUS files never use more than nine tracks as that's how many the FM chip in the PC can do. Converting them to XM with a max of eight channels seems to work well on all the ones I've listened to. The converter also lists the number of instruments, which usually doesn't exceed a dozen instruments, and is often much less. XMs would be the best way to manage the memory, but would commit the user to a particular set of instruments and make it harder to do music wads (they'd have to convert the wads music themselves or get someone to do it for them).

By the way, what do you think is the best way to handle replacement music? Right now, all the code handles is MUS files from the main wad or patch wads.

Chilly Willy wrote:A version of WildMidi that used soundfonts would be nice, but those "small" soundfonts are only small because they refer to the sounds in the rom (which don't exist when not on a Creative sound card). I have used unsf to dump a number of soundfonts, and none of them are usable as by the time you replace the rom-based sounds, you're back up to 8 to 10 MB again.
Doesn't a program that support loading soundfonts, either through hardware or software, simply play the wav samples contained in it? I thought a sf2 file type was simply a container format with stored waveform samples in it, and that they weren't even compressed.
That's the simplest form... which is actually not too common. A sound font can also contain descriptions of FM synthesized sounds, references to the default rom on the sound card (which is seen in nearly every SF2 that is less than 3MB in size), and supports several forms of compression. Unsf converts an SF2 file into a bunch of PAT files, and tells you when an instrument in the SF2 is synthesized or a rom sample as it doesn't handle those cases.

Freeware wise, I believe OpenMPT can be used to extract the samples. Commercially, there's Awave. I have an older version installed to Windows 98 that I can use to extract samples, or convert between sound bank types.

Personally if it was legal to redistribute the samples, I'd attempt extracting one of the older 2MB SB Live! soundfonts.
I've tried extracting those small SBLive soundfonts for my own use, and they all use lots of rom samples. You wind up with a very incomplete set. Basically, those small sound font files are just a few replacement instruments for certain ones in the rom that aren't very good, and a few new instruments missing in the rom.

Oh well, I'll stick with miniinst for now, and the tracker support can help with using less memory.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Chilly Willy wrote:Actually, I DO plan to do just that. I've actually made a set of XMs for Doom1 as an experiment. Doom MUS files never use more than nine tracks as that's how many the FM chip in the PC can do.

Converting them to XM with a max of eight channels seems to work well on all the ones I've listened to.
Eight channels is fine for the 'mus' type of midi in the default Doom game wads, ie - doom1.wad, doom.wad doomu.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad, plutonia.wad. This wouldn't be the case for a lot of pwads (addons), especially ones created after the Doom engine added full midi support in v1.5.
Chilly Willy wrote:The converter also lists the number of instruments, which usually doesn't exceed a dozen instruments, and is often much less.
Yes. OpenMPT (wine 1.3.19 compatible) has an option to 'cleanup' unused channels, samples, or optimize loops.
Chilly Willy wrote:XMs would be the best way to manage the memory, but would commit the user to a particular set of instruments and make it harder to do music wads (they'd have to convert the wads music themselves or get someone to do it for them).
I made a crude tutorial a while back HERE on how someone could create their own. I've since gone on to personally prefer the Impluse Tracker format over the others. But assuming people even want to hear the Doom music, they could throw together their own compilations of tracker music from sites like the 'Mod Tracker Archive'. A personal favorite.

All a person has to do is find tracks within the size limits of the engine (nxdoom has about mid 700k range), and rename them to the Doom 1/2 track names. They could then add them to an empty wad (just create an empty text file with the *.wad ext) with XWE (wine 1.3.19 compatible), or preferably Slade (wine 1.3.19 compatible) which can playback the formats internally.
Chilly Willy wrote:By the way, what do you think is the best way to handle replacement music? Right now, all the code handles is MUS files from the main wad or patch wads.
It's your engine. If I knew anything beyond a beginners level of cplus, I'd be all for helping. Sorry.

Maybe you could do a fork, with these differences alone? One binary with support for a midi patch set alone, and one binary set with support for mod tracker formats alone.
ImageImageImageImage
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Stryfe wrote: Eight channels is fine for the 'mus' type of midi in the default Doom game wads, ie - doom1.wad, doom.wad doomu.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad, plutonia.wad. This wouldn't be the case for a lot of pwads (addons), especially ones created after the Doom engine added full midi support in v1.5.
The eight channel restriction is because I was looking at this as the way to do music for the CD/32X version. The DC/PSP/N64/etc version would allow the full number of channels.
Yes. OpenMPT (wine 1.3.19 compatible) has an option to 'cleanup' unused channels, samples, or optimize loops.
That's good to know. I've been using MUS2MID followed by GMID2MOD to do the conversions.

I made a crude tutorial a while back HERE on how someone could create their own. I've since gone on to personally prefer the Impluse Tracker format over the others. But assuming people even want to hear the Doom music, they could throw together their own compilations of tracker music from sites like the 'Mod Tracker Archive'. A personal favorite.
Yes, that's a great site for tracker music. I visit periodically to see what the latest favorites are.

I figure for most platforms, I can just use libmikmod... possibly with an optimized mixer for platforms that need it. That should be fine for the DC and PSP at least. That would allow the major tracker formats.

Chilly Willy wrote:By the way, what do you think is the best way to handle replacement music? Right now, all the code handles is MUS files from the main wad or patch wads.
It's your engine. If I knew anything beyond a beginners level of cplus, I'd be all for helping. Sorry.
I just meant, do you think requiring a pwad file for the music, or do you think intercepting the music chunk fetch and checking for a separate file would be better? Possibly have a custom switch similar to the -file switch, but instead of a list of patch wads, it is followed by a list of music files (one for each level). I don't need you to write the code - I can handle that just fine - but from the point of view of someone putting together mods for the game, which would you like better? If you just want to override certain songs, maybe a -mexmy switch (e.g., -me1m3 funny.mod to replace just the e1m3 music with funny.mod).

Maybe you could do a fork, with these differences alone? One binary with support for a midi patch set alone, and one binary set with support for mod tracker formats alone.
Yeah, it would be easy enough to do different builds for MUS/MID or tracker music. The libs involved are pretty small, though, so I think I can make it play both without increasing the size noticeably. I HAD intended to also add support for OGG music on systems powerful enough to play that during the game (PSP and DC mainly, the N64 can play ogg music, but it may take too much power and ram from the game).

OGG would be nice, then people could play Dark Side of Phobos, or Ghosts, or the PSX tracks... or the 3DO Doom tracks. 8-)
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Hacx(tm) by Banjo Software; Based on Doom 2

Image Image Image

- No other iwad needed

Common changes:
- Created separate music wad
- Added dummy stages to prevent crashing

Nxdoom changes:
- Added bex deh strings

Download (Edited):
Hacx v1.2

Hacx Homepage:
http://www.drnostromo.com/hacx/
ImageImageImageImage
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Chilly Willy wrote:I don't need you to write the code - I can handle that just fine - but from the point of view of someone putting together mods for the game, which would you like better?
All of the ideas you proposed sound awesome of course. :o

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I started out with plenty of time to do this stuff, but then it just evaporated. A lot of my time is going into seeing what programs I can get working in Linux, or find alternative methods. I want to finally be rid of Windows...

I had a few other pwads I was working on, but they're only partially done. I'll see what I can get uploaded in the next few days.
ImageImageImageImage