Do NXDoom and/or Doom-for-DC support MAPINFO?

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Do NXDoom and/or Doom-for-DC support MAPINFO?

Post by MethodGit »

Being inspired by the recent Dreamcast wads thread, I wanted to see if I could get No Rest For The Living (from XBLA Doom II) up and running on my handy DC. :)

The only issue is that it needs a handful of special handles (it's a Doom II PWAD that operates on 9 levels max) such as which music to play on what map, which sky texture to display on what map, which level should have a secret exit for the bonus level, end the game after level 8, etc. AFAIK it uses no new content, just everything from plain Doom II, so it's essentially a level pack.

Is a Dreamcast-bound N.R.F.T.L. a possibility? :)
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Has thanked: 0

Re: Do NXDoom and/or Doom-for-DC support MAPINFO?

Post by Stryfe »

Unfortunately, no.

But even besides that, NRFTL's levels are the only official Doom 2 maps that aren't vanilla doom compatible. Meaning... that at a bare minimum, you'll need a limit-removing port along the lines of PrBoom just to load the maps. But even the PrBoom port, the most basic of the currently maintained limit-removing ones, doesn't support MAPINFO of any type.

If you try playing the wad in a port like Doom for Dreamcast, or NxDoom, you're guaranteed to get HOMs (hall of mirrors effect) on most levels, and visplane errors (these always cause a crash) on a few.

You'll need one of these ports, with it's own type of MAPINFO lump/file to play it properly.

The best chance you'll have will be CW's new code base port he's working on (or soon to be). If it incorporates most of the limit-removing features of certain BOOM ports, all that you'll need to do is shift the map count forward manually in a Doom editor. This is due to the MAPINFO lump being required for the secret level exit, which is by Doom 2 defaults only allowable from map 15, instead of 4.
ImageImageImageImage
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I just thought I'd mention that the NRFTL levels were present in the XBLA "demo" version.

I'm not sure what that means legally, but here are the instructions for whoever want to extract them from their demo/full XBLA archive.

http://gbatemp.net/t229989-a-bit-of-doom-2-xbla-hacking
ImageImageImageImage
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

While not exactly legal, it's pretty easy to find the NRFTL patch wad floating around the net. Not going to give any links.

I'll look into MAPINFO handling once I have prboom2 running. It looks like it shouldn't be too much work.