Full version Quake on 10th anniversary disc?

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
pWEN
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Full version Quake on 10th anniversary disc?

Post by pWEN »

Hello! I hope this is the right place to ask about this. I grabbed the DCEvo 10th anniversary release of QuakeDC and noticed that it has the shareware version. I have the full version that I got from Steam and would like to update it to this. From what I've read through various Google searches and forum posts, I just copy the pak0 and pak1 files from Quake to the id1 folder, rebuild the CDI, and burn it. That didn't work at all initially, but then I read the following in the HexQuake docs that came with the QuakeDC disc:
There is a quakedc.dat file stored in the included PAK1.PAK file. It is required for the engine to run either the full version of Quake or modified games.
This release doesn't require the full version of Quake to run mods, it only needs the included PAK1.PAK. In the case you want to use it with the PAK1.PAK from the full version of Quake, you just need to renumber the included PAK1.PAK to, for example, PAK2.PAK.
Take the PAK0.PAK file from the ID1 directory of the Quake shareware (or PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK from the full version) and put it in the ID1 directory of HexQuake.
Then burn it using your favourite method. Make sure that the 1ST_READ.BIN and MIDWAY_1.EXE are in the root along with the ID1 and WINCE directories. It's that simple.
So I re-extracted everything from the QuakeDC CDI, replaced pak0 with the full version, renamed QuakeDC's pak2/pak3/pak4 to pak3/4/5, then renamed the full version pak1 to pak2 and copied that in. Then I used BootDreams to make a CDI, and ImgBurn to burn it. The disc worked fine, but the game was telling me it was still the shareware version!

Reading over the HexQuake docs again, I went back and swapped files so pak0 and pak1 were the full version files, pak2 was the one with the quakedc.dat inside, and pak3/4/5 were the rest from the QuakeDC disc. Unfortunately, this version still tells me it's the shareware version! I triple-checked that I had compiled the right files and burned the right CDI, too.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong at this point. Can anyone help me out?
These users thanked the author pWEN for the post:
DiGiPunX
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Been thanked: 0

Re: Full version Quake on 10th anniversary disc?

Post by mankrip »

Does JoyMenu work with your full version PAKs? If so, type "registered 1" in JoyConsole and see if it works, because it may be that the "registered" cvar is being manually set to zero in one of the config files from this compilation.

If JoyMenu is not working with your full version PAKs, you got the PAK file numbering wrong.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
pWEN
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: Full version Quake on 10th anniversary disc?

Post by pWEN »

A-hah! That was it. pak2 in the original release has a default.cfg with "registered 0" in it. Changed that to 1, reburned, works great! Thank you!!