Where to buy game lots

This forum is for discussing Dumpcast or the TOSEC project itself. Post suggestions or ask questions about the project or the website here.

Moderator: Moderators

Nologic

Where to buy game lots

Post by Nologic »

Hi guys looking for suggestions on where to buy large collections of DC games.

I was bidding on a huge lot on eBay but things got to high priced ($800+) so had to walk away. :(

Just got my BBA in from Japan 10min ago, will have an actual DC in a day...with only 1 game....this is a sad day. All dressed up and no place to go. :(

Anyways I'm looking for suggestions on where to goto in order to up my collection from 1 game to some thing that may actually be productive. Towards this venture.

By the way no one better rip NBA 2K as thats the only one I got to play with. ;)

Oh and I'm not looking to buy games off anyone thats dumping...I'm actually hoping to fill in gaps of what maybe missing.

To that end maybe some one should put together a db of what games people can dump...so I and others have a clue where we are falling short.
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Unfortunately I think eBay is probably your best bet. Sometimes eBay can be annoying when people lie about the quality of the discs they are selling. They could be in playable condition, but trip up you try to dump them.

Another route to take is see if any independent video game stores exist in your area which sell old games. Usually this is more expensive than eBay for purchases, but some of these stores actually have a pay-monthly rental system where you pay like $15 a month and can take any 2 games out of the store.

It is very nice to see people interested in this project to the point where they are willing to spend money to help support us. Thank you very much. :)
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

I'll have to take a look around and see...I live in Seattle so there should be some thing some where. :)

On a different note I have managed to increase my possible dumping list.

4 x 4 EVO
18 Wheeler American Pro Trucker
Aerowings 2
Airforce Delta
Bomberman Online
Cannon Spike
CAPCOM vs. SNK MILLENNIUM FIGHT 2000
Chuchu Rocket
Conflict Zone
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
D2
Dead or Alive 2
Demolition Racer No Exit
Ducati World Racing Challenge
Fighting Force 2
Flag To Flag
Fur Fighters
Grandia 2
Hydro Thunder
Incoming
Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000
Jet Grind Radio
King of Fighters: Dream Match 99
Marvel vs. Capcom
Matt Hoffmans Pro BMX
Metropolis Street Racer
Monaco Grand Prix
Mortal Kombat Gold
Ms. Pac-man Maze Madness
Namco Museum
NBA 2K
NBA 2K1
NBA 2K2
NBA Hoopz
NBA Showtime NBA on NBC
NCAA 2K2 College Football Road to the Rose Bowl
NFL 2k
NFL 2K1
NFL 2K2
NFL Blitz 2000
NFL QB Club 2001
NHL 2K
NHL 2K2
Nightmare Creatures 2
Phantasy Star Online
POD Speedzone
Powerstone
Quake III Arena
Re-Volt
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Ready 2 Rumble Round 2
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Rippin Riders Snowboard
Seaman
Sega Bass Fishing
Sega GT
Sega Marine Fishing
Sega Rally 2
Sega Smash Pack: Volume 1
Shenmue
Silent Scope
Slave Zero
Speed Devils
Spirit Of Speed 1937
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Shuffle
Soul Calibur
Soul Fighter
South Park Chef's Luv Shack
Space Channel 5
Spec Ops II Omega Squad
Stiker Pro 2000
Super Magnetic Neo
Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing
Sydney 2000
Tee Off
Tennis 2K2
Test Drive 6
Test Drive Le Mans
Test Drive V-Rally
The King of Fighters - Evolution
The Ring Terror's Realm
Time Stalkers
TNN Hardcore Heat
Tokyo Extreme Racer
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Tomb Raider The Last Revelation
Tony Hawks Pro Skater
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
Trickstyle
Unreal Tournament
Vigilante 8 - 2nd Offence
Virtua Tennis
Virtual-On
Wild Metal
World Series Baseball 2k1
World Series Baseball 2K2
WWF Attitude
WWF Royal Rumble
Xtreme Sports

Charge 'n Blast

18 Wheeler American Pro Trucker (2)
Craxy Taxi (2)
Crazy Taxi 2 (2)
NBA 2k (4)
NBA Hoopz
NFL 2K (3)
NFL 2K1
NFL Blitz 2000
Nightmare Creatures 2
Powerstone
Quake 3
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Seaman
Sega GT (2)
Sega Rally 2: Sega Rally Championship
Shemmue (2)
Silent Scope
Sonic Adventures 2
Soul Calibur
Test Drive V-Rally
Time Stalkers
Virtua Tennis
WWF Attitude

Which I think some of these have already been dumped...not sure on area...probably US tho.

*Update*
1. total 41 games 6 dups
2. total 62 games 12 dups
3. total 71 games 15 dups
4. total 86 games 31 dups
5. total 92 games 33 dups
6. total 104 games 33 dups 1 import
+4 or 5 extra systems
Last edited by Nologic on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

Okay exactly how touchy is dumping...do the discs need to be completely blemish free?

This is needed info as it effects how picky I'll have to be when making an order.

Right now I'm looking at quantity + working...and sort of rolling the dice to see if it'll dump correctly...then later on being picky about discs as more games are covered by others.

However if the disc needs to be mint...then while it may limit how much I buy...at least I'm buying what will work.

Also is a mouse and keyboard for the DC of any use dumping or is it a non factor.

Looking to gear up as needed.
az_bont
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by az_bont »

I think that the Dreamcast is a lot more forgiving when you're dumping games than it is when you're playing them. I've got three games that occasionally freeze when being played, one of which looks like a complete write-off when you study the bottom of the disc, but that rip just fine. However, most of the discs that I have ripped were purchased and kept in very good condition, most of them brand new and never played beforehand.

I can't speak much about eBay in America, as I tend to skip over the majority of the auctions because they will not ship internationally, but over here there are quite a few sellers offering brand new games minus cases (and sometimes manuals) for next to nothing. I have bought approximately 16 brand new games for between £1 and £3 each including postage and packing over the last month or so.

I also bought a similar collection of eight excellent condition NTSC/U games for around £30, including some gems like Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil Code: Veronica and Shenmue.

The only sensible advice I think I can offer here is to keep an eye out for sellers with multiple auctions for different games that offer discounts on postage and packaging for combined purchases - this is harder to spot than bulk auctions, but if you ever see a row of similarly-priced games in a page, check to see if they're from the same seller and go to their eBay store.

Cheers for your support, Nologic! :D
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

Thanks for the info. :)

Well I just got chatting with one fellow that has a lot of 100 disc's...but wants $700 at least...got me rethinking about that lot for 200 thats $800+ ;)

Heh really I think I'll pass on both of them...I should be able to get 100 non duplicates for under $400 by tomorrow night PST.

However that would still leave me 156 games shy of a complete US set...not counting bleem games.

Oh if you or anyone else is interested in swapping dup's I'm game tho so far only dup is that of NBA 2k...but I'm sure before I get done I'll have at least a dozen or more. Course shipping across the pond may cost more than just buying a game locally.

It'll likely be a week and a half before I get into ripping any thing, have to leave town to do a job...however when I get back I should be able to put things out there fairly fast...I'll have a new DSL line ran thats 3x faster upstream than what my current cable connection is...down stream is a different matter.

I do intend to get up as many games as I can for the first week since I'll have both the DSL and cable to up with. I'll be able to do 11gigs a day on the DSL and 4gigs on Cable...so roughly 15 games a day...if I don't have to sit around and seed the piss out of things.

Any ways till stuff goes up its all hot air. ;)

Oh however any one looking to get a BBA should hit eBay there is a guy Tom_Slick or some thing like that who is selling them out of Japan. Mine costed me $185 including shipping...but got here in 3 days and the thing looks mint.
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

Okay I'm done buying until I can unload some of these dup's. :)

Didn't break 100 non dup games...16 shy. :(

Well if every thing dumps right I'll be able to cover a third of the US set my self.
az_bont
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by az_bont »

Nologic, that is absolutely phenomenal! :shock:

I honestly didn't think we would see such a large collection of games in such a short space of time - between yours and Mozgus's games, we'll have about half of all North American releases. I've got about a dozen myself, but the only one not on your list is Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. :|

To save you a bit of bandwidth and such, you should know that I have the following NTSC/U games:

Crazy Taxi
D2
NFL Blitz 2000
Resident Evil Code: Veronica
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Skies of Arcadia (uploaded)
Space Channel 5
Seaman
Shenmue
Tomb Raier: The Last Revelation
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Virtua Tennis (uploaded)
WWF Attitude (uploaded)

Thankfully my collection of PAL games is a little more substantial, but I shall keep an eye out for some more job lots to fill in the (admittedly, rather large) gaps.
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

Well I have yet to take possession of any of it, but thats whats been paid for.

I just wish I could have afforded that lot of 207 games...its at $840...I had called it quites at $830...if I hadn't bought the first system...I may have been able to go the distance.

There is still like 11 hours before that closes...so if any one is feeling rich. :)

Anyways it'll be a week or more before I can start dumping.

Well don't worry about my bandwidth, till after you got your PAL collection up...at that time maybe pitch in on the NTSC.

I personally look forward to us getting a full world set done...tho Japan looks like it'll be very costly unless we find some one from over there to dump.
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Wow, I don't know what to say... This is great! :D
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

Heh say you'll match the game count. ;)

Well my new DSL modem showed up...so now all I need is all my dreamcasts (at least 1) and some games and I can dig in..tho sadly I'll be leaving tomorrow night.

Well that 207 game lot finally went for $1,155 so actually I couldn't have gone the distance.

On a brighter note tho...I've now broken 100 & for $600 total...which I'll have a mess of things to sell off to make some money back. Hehe which will hopefully fund the next 50 or so games. :)
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Heh, when I win the lottery :P

Seriously though, you will probably make back more than you have spent on that lot if you sell the games individually.
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

ahh sniff ;)

I probably would...but I won't...actually probably end up giving the best of the lot to my step son & then selling off the dups and such.

Plus it'll make the boy happy, and we'll have the games nearly on hand should we need to redump for what ever reason.

I'll be happy with my HTPC running every thing...some day I'll get around to building an arcade cabinet...which is what I was going to do till I got on this kick. :)

Actually we could have been sitting a lot better off if I hadn't started eyeing that 200+ lot so early on...I past up some great deals on some lesser lots...well I didn't pass on them...I just didn't bid on them to win is all.

If I didn't have my head up my ass we could be looking at a lot of 150+ or better...likely better. Oh well what is done is done.
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

fuck...well got the first dreamcast...I've seen better stuff come out of pawn shops. :(

Looks like the prior owner got it when he was like 5 ;)

This thing needs some serious TLC...oddly its missing its 56k modem..no cover there or any thing...well I guess it doesn't matter as I have the BBA to fill that hole any ways.

Well after its cleaned up and tested to make sure it won't fry the bba I'll try my hand at dumping.
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

Well I've gotten in two more shipments each having one DC...and hey one of them works...hence why my postings in the (U) dump forum...haven't tested the third...don't really care to as long as I got one working. :)

Any ways been seeing some talk about possible new tools...should I continue to dump or hold off...I've been dumping each game twice and checking against each other...so far things have been fine...not one unmatched file.

Tho it does look like I managed to hose Trickstyle from being able to dump from again...all I got to say is don't buff your disc's. :( It still seems to play fine in the DC...but it racks up fatal errors when attempting to dump. At least I managed to dump it correctly prior to screwing it up...tho correctly is relative at this point...with possible new tools and formats being discussed.