dumping Sonic Adventure Limited Edition

This forum is for the discussion of dumping games. Get help with your dumping here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bizzle86

dumping Sonic Adventure Limited Edition

Post by Bizzle86 »

I'm been trying to dump this game onto my computer for about a day now and it always dumps 858meg out of 1.1gig of data from track03.bin

I can't for the life of me figure out what's the deal. I don't get an error or anything. It just quits dumping.

track01.bin has 0 errors, and I also have track02.raw

track03.bin has about 20,000 errors but i was able to dump a full dump of PSO and that one had just as many errors. Are they made to be like that?

Do some games only dump a part of the 1.1gig data that's on the CD? I'm just trying to figure out how to do this. It's my first time trying to figure it out. Thanks.
Maddog
is awesome
is awesome

Post by Maddog »

No, normally there isn't a single error in Dreamcast GD-ROMs. And all games fill the entire disc, so all games with 3 tracks have a track03 sized 1185760800 bytes.

If your disc produces that many errors, it must have some severe scratching on it, which makes it quite possible for it to quit while dumping. If the disc is in mint condition, keep in mind that I also had a few cases where the Dreamcast itself was the problem (when I was using a worn down console). Most of these cases were fixed by cleaning the laser lens, but there were a couple of games that only dumped properly by using another less worn console.
Bizzle86

Post by Bizzle86 »

How do I clean the laser lens properly? Damn, it's hard to work Dreamcast games. I'm still amazed at how advanced Sega was for their time.
Maddog
is awesome
is awesome

Post by Maddog »

Only bother to do that if your disc is mint and still stops dumping. If the disc is scratched, it almost certainly fails due to the scratches.
Anyway, you clean the lens by using a cotton swab soaked in pure alcohol. Gentle moves! It definitely improved my DC's reading ability with some borderline discs. Note though that I (and virtually all other dumpers afaik) have also bumped into GD-ROMs that will not dump using any easy trick, short of a professional resurface.

Another thing to try before resorting to any drastic measures: if you look at the link for the track, the end of it has "retry=5" (or something like that, don't have the time to check right now). Copy the link to the track you want to dump, paste it in a new tab or window in your browser and replace that 5 with a 50. Then hit enter. This will change the number of read retries when it encounters a read error to 50 instead of the default 5 and so will give a better chance of getting a read of the problem sectors.
Bizzle86

Post by Bizzle86 »

All right, I have the full dump now. All tracks and the GDI file. How do I make it burnable to a CD?

I know that's asking a lot but at least could you tell me how to split apart the BIN so I can see all of the files on it? And if possible tell me the best things to downgrade and/or remove?
NU-NRG

Post by NU-NRG »

Maddog
is awesome
is awesome

Post by Maddog »

Ah, the million dollar question...

The easy part: read the sticky to extract files from track03.bin

The hard part:
Selfbooting...Some info can be found here.
As for removing/downsampling stuff, advice cannot be offered, since I don't know the exact contents of the disc. Find the videos and downsample those. Only remove something if you are absolutely sure it isn't needed anywhere.

In case you only want to use that rip to play on your DC and not for learning to hack DC GD-ROMs, there's already a release from NU-NRG doing the rounds on the net. You can also see how he handled the rip by examining his work.
Search for Sonic Adventure Limited Edition USA DC-NU-NRG, filename nu-sale.rar
Don't ask me for more info on finding this... :wink:
atreyu187

Post by atreyu187 »

Mine is failing at the same spot I wonder why this is? My disc is mint, laser adjusted, and clean lense.