Coders Cable Dumping Tutorial (Serial)

This forum is for the discussion of dumping games. Get help with your dumping here.

Moderator: Moderators

SEGAKatana

Coders Cable Dumping Tutorial (Serial)

Post by SEGAKatana »

Here's a tutorial for dumping GD-ROM discs with a Coders Cable (serial cable method).

Connect a Dreamcast Coders cable from your Dreamcast to your PC

Download the latest DC-Tool GUI and extract it on your PC:
http://dchelp.dcemulation.com/?dc-tool_GUI

Download Dreamrip and extract it to the same directory:
http://www.megagames.com/dc/files/dreamrip201.zip

Download dcload-ip and burn to a CD. Choose between either DiscJuggler or Nero 5:
http://adk.napalm-x.com/dc/dcload-seria ... al-dj3.zip
http://adk.napalm-x.com/dc/dcload-seria ... -nero5.zip

After burning dcload-serial, insert it into your Dreamcast and boot it.

Now, remove the dcload-serial CD-R and insert a GD-ROM/GD-R you wish to dump.

Open DC-Tool GUI. Select "Config->DC-Tool Serial" to set it to Serial mode.

Click the "Browse" button on the main dialog box window. Select "dreamrip.bin."

Now click the "Upload and Execute" button, and viola. Dumping should begin.
Mozgus

Post by Mozgus »

Woah, this sounds better than using TeraTerm. I wonder if this does a better job. Maybe it will properly dump that troublesome Tennis 2K2.
Edit: Very very cool stuff. I don't even know what Serial Slave Upload disc I was using before. It says it was made by one "Marcus". Basically, all it did was stick at the Swirl screen, and show a blue line on the sides which meant it was ready to upload.

But this disc actually has a console screen, and this tool is so much easier to use. I wish someone would have told me there were newer serial dumping methods out there.
Mozgus

Post by Mozgus »

Aww crap nevermind. This is not even an option, because of one epic flaw. It doesn't compress the images before sending them. So it takes like 22 hours no matter what? Barf. Alien Front Online takes a few hours on the TeraTerm method, but its going to take 22 on this method.
Shoometsu

Post by Shoometsu »

so i just need to extract the other tracks 1 and 2 via any app on my pc and mount the gdi with this track 03 to make a "perfect rip"?
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

It will be a complete dump, but without verifying the dump against other people's dumps, you can't confirm it's "perfect." DreamRip, the only program for the serial cable, is known to not always dump the proper data.
Shoometsu

Post by Shoometsu »

just in time: to extract the tracks 021 and 02, can I use an app like nero, or is there an specific app to do it? I'm also trying to extract the audio track in raw format, but I don't know how to do it. I'm STFW right now about it...
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Shoometsu wrote:just in time: to extract the tracks 021 and 02, can I use an app like nero, or is there an specific app to do it? I'm also trying to extract the audio track in raw format, but I don't know how to do it. I'm STFW right now about it...
You should use ISOBuster.

Right click "Track 1" and select "Extract Track 01" and choose "Extract User Data." Select where to download it to and then let it start extracting. It will complain that the last 150 sectors are unreadable at the end of the track. Select "Replace with all zeroes," check "Always apply Selection," and click the "Selection" button. When it asks if you want to delete the file if the number of unreadable sectors was 150, select no. If it was more than 150 then it probably has misread some of the disc and is a bad dump. Rename "Track 01.tao" to "track01.iso"

Right click "Track 2" and select "Extract Track 02" and choose "Extract RAW data." Select where to download it to and let it start extracting. When it is done, rename "Track 02.bin" to "track02.raw"

And there you go, you've ripped track01 and track02 with ISOBuster.

If you want to do something of good enough quality to release, you should use EAC for track02, but for general purposes, ISOBuster should be fine.
Shoometsu

Post by Shoometsu »

ok, i've tried with sonic adventure 2 (there's a thread about it here in this forum)

I've use isobuster a few time ago (before enter in the forum again to see your answer). but I thought that I was doing something wrong because the audio track has a different md5 from the listed on the thread. so probably I'll need to use this EAC. I want to help on this project, not only bother everybody. here we go(ogle) again.

many thanks for your help :wink:

I'm looking all the way in EAC, but didn't fnd any option to extract the audio track in raw format (there's only a .wav option). Should it use any audio codec installed in my OS? can you help a last time? :oops:
Shenmue

Post by Shenmue »

Someone can update the links of step 2 and 4 please? they are dead or someone can send me the files?
Maddog
is awesome
is awesome

Post by Maddog »